Electric quadmobile(looking for some help)

agniusm

1 MW
So i build some bikes in the past and now as the family has grown to 5, need something bigger and enclosed to be able to use it all year round. I am planning using off the shelve quadracycle double a arm suspension parts for my suspension and i am brainstorming my propulsion options. Where i live, we are allowed to have unregistered vehicles up to 1kW and up to 25kmh. I am planning to do that with limits programmed in controller.
I have hart time decidig what setup to use, single sided axle hubmotors like qs motor has, 20", 1000-1500W, or have a mount for inrunner mounted near the wheel and chain driven. I also have samagaga diff setup but i think its too weak for planned mass of the vehicle.
Looking for simple and reliable solution.

How bad are the road conditions you must ride on? If the roads are good and suspension is not going to have to work hard, in-wheel hubmotors would work well enough. Same, if you design/tune the suspension for the extra mass of the motors.

If the chaindrive motors are mounted on the suspension, then they affect it's operation like the hubmotors would. To not do that you'd have to mount them on the frame and drive the wheels via something that will move with the suspension (chain on pivots with tensioner, shaft drive, etc).

If you go with single-ended axle hubmotors, I think there's a pair over in the for sale section right now, but I can't remember by who.

The roads are pretty ok vut occasionaly i would like to go on small gravel roads camping, fishing etc.
Those couple motors would be great but i think they are too small for me. I was looking 20" bmx size or 17" moped.
How about building trailing arm suspension at the back and placing motors near the pivot? I like the idea of using chain drive as i can tune speed/power to whatever i need. Hub motors would require large investment chainging the battery.
Also chain driven wheels are easier to mount.

Looked at motor options and there is MAC M12500-3A inrunner, 1kw, 48v at 1.6kg (or maybe 2.5kg). In either case it would be a lot lighter than going with hub motors. QS 20" wheel motor is at 9kg, other hub motor they have are 16+kg so that is substantial.
If i could figure out simple trailing arm suspension and mount the motor close to pivot point, i could have a lightweight setup.
@amberwoolf, do you have any links on these MAC motors? My searches only return hub motors but i remember these inrunners were discussed on ES a while back?

If it were me, considering the vehicle weight plus power and speed limits I would go a little larger on the motor to ensure it can operate at 1000w continuously, relatively efficiently and spec a fast enough Kv motor so that I could use 1000w even at 25kmh. I mean if I'm being honest I would just put a 1000w sticker on a 4kw+ setup but I totally understand keeping it in those limits and trying to build a robust and efficient setup.

scianiac said:
If it were me, considering the vehicle weight plus power and speed limits I would go a little larger on the motor to ensure it can operate at 1000w continuously, relatively efficiently and spec a fast enough Kv motor so that I could use 1000w even at 25kmh. I mean if I'm being honest I would just put a 1000w sticker on a 4kw+ setup but I totally understand keeping it in those limits and trying to build a robust and efficient setup.

Those MAC's i am looking at are 1kW rated power so i think you can get 2kW out of them easy for few mins which would bring them to 4kW peak

agniusm said:
Looked at motor options and there is MAC M12500-3A inrunner, 1kw, 48v at 1.6kg (or maybe 2.5kg). In either case it would be a lot lighter than going with hub motors. QS 20" wheel motor is at 9kg, other hub motor they have are 16+kg so that is substantial.
If i could figure out simple trailing arm suspension and mount the motor close to pivot point, i could have a lightweight setup.
@amberwoolf, do you have any links on these MAC motors? My searches only return hub motors but i remember these inrunners were discussed on ES a while back?
:?: is this it?

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=45313&p=665986&hilit=%2AM12500%2A#p665986

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=88981&p=1297465&hilit=%2AM12500%2A#p1297465

For motors that small, you can use ordinary V belts. Did an etractor conversion 10 years ago and it is still using the same single belt. Have pushed to tractor hard and driven it far.
Am currently re-powering a different tractor with a salvaged treadmill motor, and the V belt on it is fine.
The loads are tiny compared to a table saw or riding mowers which mostly use a single v belt for the traction motor.

amberwolf said:
agniusm said:
:?: is this it?

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=45313&p=665986&hilit=%2AM12500%2A#p665986

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=88981&p=1297465&hilit=%2AM12500%2A#p1297465

Yes, those were the ones but it looks like they are not too good.
Found this one, by the looks they are supplying LMX if i am not mistaken. Looking at these SL120-12-50SPM(https://www.senlimotors.com/e-bike-...c-motor-mid-driving-motor-for-e-mountain.html), 1.2kW(60V) motors. Silgle reduction possible, 4kW peak power, two might do nicely. They weigh 5kg's so i should fit under 10 kg's per side and potentially have 8kW peak. Belts could be nice but it would be needing more tension so complexity over noise. Also chains would allow for easier and cheaper reduction or increase of speed if i needed to switch.

Back