Volt battery replacement Cost shock !

Hillhater

100 TW
Sydney ..(Hilly part !) .. Australia/ Down under !
They must be having a laugh ??
More than the cost of a new Volt ?
…which would make that Volt a candidate for a theft+torching !
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FbBYuNfWQAAdtPF?format=jpg&name=medium
FbBYuNfWQAAdtPF

Completely fake invoice. Anti-EV propaganda. Understand this is a completely fake estimate from anti-EV trolls. We have been though the dissection of this estimate on the Chevy Volt forums.

Vin does return to a real Chevy Volt. Volt batteries do not die at 70K miles. They last 100K more than that. I have three friends with Chevy Volts, all over 150K. IF this was a 2012 car.. would that not still be under the Voltec warranty? 10 years, 100K miles? Is it 2023 yet?

Volt battery from that era is 16kWh.. so.. you telling me they need 1800$ per kWh? When GreenTec sells warranted packs for 6000$ with install and three year warranty?>

By that logic, I must have spent 3600$ on my ebike pack... for its 2kWh nominal (...built with new Volt cells).
....... Guess what. I didnt. It was 318$. Delivered.

No address for that dealership. The part number is part of a recall through GM. No phone number for that invoice/estimate. GM/Chevy computer estimate systems are usually a little more complicated than that yellowed piece of paper, crinkled and stapled.

A poor photoshop...... Paper is wrinkled expect where the numbers are. They are perfectly straight. Bold in black and same font. We all know what a real GM invoice looks like.. and usually includes all kinds of special codes and whatnot.

I bought a whole brand new Volt battery for ~2800$. From a dealership going out of business. New in GM shipping crate.

(New) Volt modules, or complete reman batteries, are ( still) available from GMPARTSDIRECT. These are the real prices. You are right. If the price of a new battery was 30K, this car would be a candidate for torching, and insurance payouts, worth more than the car itself.

Dont be some “Let’s Go Brandon” troglodyte.

Dont be gullible.

Attachments

• 300280105_572934827862650_2889467889519484255_n.jpg
    300280105_572934827862650_2889467889519484255_n.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 1,560
Posting to archive the image in question (from two sources) in case the original website / page disappears or blocks external linking (both very common problems), for future readers. Also some additional quick one-minute googling (no info filtering, no deep research) to just quick-check a few things. I don't know if it's real or not. I do note that some people call this an invoice, but it clearly states on it that it is an estimate, which is not the same thing.

My guess is that they gave an exorbitant estimate to make the customer go away because they didn't want to work on it; it wouldn't be the first time that's ever happened to someone.

Additionally, if you look up the "fee" notation, you will find this
https://floridarevenue.com/forms_library/current/gt800037.pdf
which is ONLY for lead-acid batteries, which this is not, indicating this estimate is not correctly written up, adding inapplicable fees (even if tiny) to inflate the estimated cost.

Solid Waste
Lead-acid Battery Fee
The Lead-acid Battery Fee is $1.50 per battery sold for use in motor vehicles, vessels, or aircraft.
This fee is imposed on retail dealers that sell new or remanufactured batteries designed for use in motor
vehicles (on-road or off-road), vessels (boats and yachts), or aircraft. The fee is due whether the battery
is sold separately or as part of the vehicle, vessel, or aircraft. The fee is due on sales of new or
remanufactured batteries sold to governmental entities or nonprofit organizations.
Retail dealers are not required to separately state the fee on the sales invoice; however, if the fee is
separately stated, the fee must be included in the amount subject to sales tax.
The fee is not imposed on the sale of a battery for resale.

If you search on the GM p/n indicated for the battery itself, GM24043694 it shows it's for a high voltage battery, and there are several articles such as this
https://backthetruckup.com/30000-invoice-is-real/
that also show up; that particular one says they called the actual dealership to verify it. Quoted below in case it disappears:
The internet has been ablaze with an invoice from a South Florida Chevrolet dealership with a service charge of nearly $30,000 to exchange a battery pack on a 2012 Chevy Volt. Well, I could not stand the suspense and called the dealership myself. - Image - @odonell_r on Twitter

The internet has been ablaze with an invoice from a South Florida Chevrolet dealership with a service charge of nearly $30,000 to exchange a battery pack on a 2012 Chevy Volt. Well, I could not stand the suspense and called the dealership myself.
Minds are blown that the dealer confirmed the invoice

Bet that Chevy Volt sounded like a good idea at first. pic.twitter.com/q57U0gZowU
— Rob O'Donnell (@odonnell_r) August 25, 2022

Yeah, it invoice is legit. The General Manager confirmed it with BTU – Twitter: @odonnell_r

Utter shock has taken over the BTU universe as I went beyond the call of duty and called the dealership in question about the viral invoice first found on Twitter. After some questioning, I now understand the factors that led up to the price tag.

Greg Large, General Manager of Roger Dean Chevolet in Cape Coral, Florida, was happy to clear the air about why the battery swap out was so expensive. The reason? It’s a dinosaur! The battery pack is a first-generation piece of technology that is no longer made by General Motors.

The battery is now manufactured by Spear Power Systems (SPS), a maker of specialty lithium battery packs. SPS makes batteries for all forms of transportation and military applications.

Being an “antique,” the Volt battery can fetch a high price tag. We all know how high classic car parts can be on the third-party market.

BTU does not know why the Volt owner wanted to replace the battery, or if they went through the roof after seeing the invoice. But it sort of kills the resale value for an EV if it has a dead battery.

Attachments

• FbBYuNfWQAAdtPF[1].jpg
    FbBYuNfWQAAdtPF[1].jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 1,523
  • 88531A24-63CE-4D3B-8492-85FCCD2BF1A1_jpe-2503236[1].JPG
    88531A24-63CE-4D3B-8492-85FCCD2BF1A1_jpe-2503236[1].JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 1,516
Back