Record setting solar car

PaPaSteve

1 kW
For your viewing pleasure ...
A college student built car

https://newsroom.unsw.edu.au/news/science-tech/ev-record-breakers-sunswift-7-goes-1000km-single-charge-world%E2%80%99s-best-time

…The car, designed and built by students, posted a verified time of 11 hours 52.08 minutes for the distance at the Australian Automotive Research Centre (AARC) in Wensleydale, Victoria.
That equates to an average speed of nearly 85km/h and secured the Sunswift Racing team the record for the ‘Fastest EV over 1000km on a single charge’.
I guess technically it is a “single charge” …..but continuous from the solar panels. ?

the story went, it can go 100km on 3.8k. Don't know how big the battery was. was just figuring it used 38kw for 1000km. Thinking about it may have done the math wrong when converting to miles.

ZeroEm said:
less then 38kw for 621.37 miles. My leaf would do 175 miles on 38kw.
kW? Or kWh? Very different things....

Sorry amberwolf did not get my w in with the k. They stated that they can go 100km on 3.8 thousand watts. The did laps until hitting 1000km. So figured it was 38 thousand watts. They never disclosed the size of battery as they have solar panels on the car also and did not disclose how many watts gained from them.

If they're talking about range or capacity, the unit needs to include time, usually in hours or h, so kWh, or Wh, etc.

If they're talking about power (not how long it will last or how far it will go), that's just watts, no time unit, so kW or W.

So W / kW / etc without an "h" is a very very different thing than with the h (kWh / Wh etc).

If you don't distinguish between them, the wrong information is conveyed. ;)

Back