Efficent motors

Drunkskunk

100 GW
So what would be the most efficent format for a motor?

I'm looking for something that can make roughly 20 horsepower and 60 horsepower peak

I figure making the highest efficancy driveline possable is better than a cheap motor and a huge collection of batteries.

Any links to places that compare EV motors?

The difference between the most efficient (practical) motor and an averagely efficient motor will be maybe 10%, but the cost difference between the two may be 200% or more. A 10% efficiency gain isn't going to make a practical difference to the battery pack size, really, so it pretty much comes down to other factors.

The main reason for having a really efficient motor is to keep the heat down in the motor, there's a massive difference in power wasted in the motor between an 80% efficient motor and a 90% efficient motor. For example, using your figure of 20hp, an 80% efficient motor is going to waste about 3kW as heat, a 90% efficient motor will only waste about half that, meaning it will run a lot cooler.

Jeremy

I'd be more concerned on which motors are trouble free and long lasting. Seems like putting an electric motor in the place of where a gas engine use to be and hooking up to the existing drive-train designed for the gas engine is a bad idea. Why, because of crude type drivetrain. Transmissions, bearings, drive-shafts, etc. using excess battery. I'm sure some cars are better then others.

How much do these motors cost? (price range).

Back