Audi 389 Miles on single charge

Hi all . . .

This is potentially a big leap forward in electric car technology.

Here is another link, to Auto Blog Green . . .

http://green.autoblog.com/2010/10/2...-electric-vehicle-distance-record-3/#comments

. . . and, just to get a complete record here, the story and photo from the above link . . .

lekker-mobil-630.jpg

[Article authored by Domenick Yoney]

Berlin energy supplier Lekker Energie and battery company DBM Energy have teamed up to electrify an Audi A2 and take it on an attention-getting 605 km (379.9 mile) journey from Munich to Berlin, Germany. The run, conducted at night, was such a success that the team is claiming an electric vehicle world record of sorts. While the Japan EV Club managed to squeeze 1,003 km (623 miles) from their Mira on a track driving a steady 40km/h (25 miles per hour), this latest feat was performed on public roads at an average speed of 55 miles per hour. The Germans even had 18 percent of the pack's 115 kWh left at the end.

While the length and speed of the trip are all very nice, the real story here seems to be the batteries that made it possible. Developed sans government investment, the lithium metal polymer (LMP) cells, which Lekker and DBM refer to as Kolibri AlphaPolymer Technology, are said to be lighter and more powerful than traditional cells and operate with an efficiency of 97 percent. They were also compact enough to be integrated into the car without giving up passenger seating or trunk space.

Want more amazing? Apparently, when connected to a generous enough power supply, the batteries can recharge in just six minutes. Also, when asked when production could start, DBM Energy CEO Mirko Hannemann answered, "now." Does it all just sound too good to be true? Maybe, but we expect we'll get more information – and confirmation from other sources one way or the other – real soon.

There obviously needs to be additional verification on all of the above, but - if it all pans out - range anxiety and long waiting on charges are a thing of the past.

Here's hoping . . .

Ben in Tucson

That extrapolates something roughly like 450miles of driving, without saving (he had lights all the time, AC on, all the stuff on, he was driving 55mph avg 80mph max highway speed and i think is capable of faster-100mph...).
For that kinda range you don't need 6 min recharge time, because man/driver has to have rest/sleep that is more then 6 mins.
If it is true, then great, in near future i expect a lot of great new EV's on the market!

Update:
http://green.autoblog.com/2011/04/05/dbm-energy-record-breaking-kolibri-battery-passes-government-tests/

Berlin energy supplier Lekker Energie and battery company DBM Energy have teamed up to electrify an Audi A2 and take it on an attention-getting 605 km (379.9 mile) journey from Munich to Berlin, Germany. The run, conducted at night, was such a success that the team is claiming an electric vehicle world record of sorts. While the Japan EV Club managed to squeeze 1,003 km (623 miles) from their Mira on a track driving a steady 40km/h (25 miles per hour), this latest feat was performed on public roads at an average speed of 55 miles per hour. The Germans even had 18 percent of the pack's 115 kWh left at the end.

The numbers looks too good to be true: 54.5wh/mile or 3kW at 55mph average. That's only ~4hp! What's missing?

Hillhater said:
:?: :? 379.9 miles on a 115kWh pack = 303 wh/mile :?:
That looks much more reasonable. I tried to figure where I went wrong in my calculation, but couldn't even reproduced those incorrect numbers. Anyway, it has happened before.

Back