Polaris Ranger EV

The Polaris ranger EV is a side by side ATV, or UTV, with fully independant suspension front and rear. The vehicle weighs 1700 lbs and has a gasoline twin that weighs 650 lbs less. it is true on-demand 4 wheel drive. Is anyone familiar with the motor and controller used on the Polaris Ranger EV? The motor is an ABM Type DLGF112200-4 3-Phase AC High-Efficiency Induction Motor with 8.3 kW rated power. Polaris is claiming peak of 30 HP. I believe ABM is a German manufacturer? Also, the Controller is a SEVCON GEN 4 G4865. This is a 48volt, 650A RMS burst controller and the battery pack is a group of 8 lead acid 100 A/hr with two groups of 4 in series to make up 48V with a 200 A/Hr rating. I am interested in this unit as i have recently been infected with the EV virus. I have ATVs and have been wanting to upgrade to the Polaris Ranger and this makes sense as a first EV project. Anyway, new to the site, trying to take it all in, and wondering about possible modifications that might include converting the system over to 72 or 96 volts to increase the top speed from 25 mph to possibly 40mph. I know SEVCON makes a 80 volt version of this controller with the same physical layout and 550amp vs 650 amp RMS burst capability. Anyone familiar with the controller? I know EV mods are an expensive hobby, but I see future potential with knowing more about this technology and that makes it worth it to me. Anyone familiar with the motor and controller used here?

the one simple thing you could do to incress top speed is to go with a lithium battery pack 8) however this is expansive...
cheers,
jacob R

Actually that is one of the first things I would want to do with this vehicle is build a battery pack out of A123 Prismatic 20A/h cells. However, I believe the controller might be set to limit the speed so that the vehicle qualifies as a LSV (Low Speed vehicle). In the US LSV's are allowed on residential roads that have a posted speed limit of 35mph or less, but are their top speed is also limited to 25 mph. So don't know if the controller is limiting speed to 25 mph or if it is a result of not being able to pump in enough current to overcome the back emf of the motor, or the current limits imposed by the controller. I am not sure what the limiting factor is. But that brings up another question, what would be required to boost the top speed up from 25 mph, to perhaps even 40 mph which is the ICE version's top speed? From what I can gather increasing the system voltage is the key to higher top speed. I know the gearing ratios, tire sizes, kW rating of the motor, and I can generate a spreadsheet that tells me what the rpm of the motor would be at at different speeds. Does anybody have any ideas for helping me understand top speed limits?

I am having trouble trying to post the spreadsheet, any advice on how to post a snippet from the preadsheet, or just how to format spaces between text; or post a picture that is not already on the web?

Sorry, I am a noobie

hehe
click upload attachment on the screen where you write a post/comment. Seriously sometimes it's just a matter of reading what's on your screen. I do tech support. After the 50 thousandth time of user fails to read screen it gets a little tedious.

I have attached a spreadsheet that shows my calculations for motor RPM to vehicle speed. I am trying to understand the top speed limitations for this vehicle. It has a top speed of 25 mph in High mode, 10 mph in Low mode and 15 mph in max range mode. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Polaris EV Calculations.xls
    360 KB · Views: 598
HI,

Does it have a transmission? Because you could increase the top speed with larger tires. The reduced acceleration probably wouldn't be a problem if it has multiple gears.

Alan B said:
I would use Leaf battery components, or similar available from other existing automotive designs that are available on the used market.

That is my plan also. Like also the chevy volt and the larger ford c-max cells. The C-max have built in fuses so all I would need to setup is a balance charging setup. I can get a big pack for around 1K on the salvage market. I need to make charging and battery monitoring idiot proof as the spouse will be the main user. Just a work cart so It should be good with 12s, but thinking 14s may be good also. The stock batteries are still healty so I have the time to think it through. Know very little about the subsystems so far. Need to get a shop manual to learn all the subsystems and relay connections. The winch setup is powered by two separate six volt batteries up front. Not sure if anything else needs them. Looking at a 48V Ware winch or swapping out the motor for a small BLDC and reversible trike controller if I can find the right shaft setup. I am wondering the need for a separate Lead battery setup at all. Charging a separate Li 12v pack setup (automatically from the main pack) if need be would be the main concern if I try to keep the 12v winch setup.

Update: What a great UTV! Spouse loves it also. Battery box can fit a boat load of Li capacity. Stock batteries are still acting near new. Will see how it winters over in use. At a closer look it measures out to easily be able to fit 6 (or possibly 8 if you want killer range) chevy volt 2kwh sections. Will be a interesting project swapping over to a Li pack on it.
Looking for some sort of battery charge / voltage display that can show individual series cell strings adapto style. Simple led voltage indication strips for each string would be good. Hate to go with just a gross idiot light setup showing low battery or a simple but effective pack voltage indicator.

Found these on Ebay that look like possibly a good choice for a cell string level indicator.

s-l225.jpg

speedmd said:
Found these on Ebay that look like possibly a good choice for a cell string level indicator.

s-l225.jpg
I bought a couple of these years ago. For some reason some of the top green LEDs died, happened to both which then rendered them useless as the made you think the cells were imbalanced and not full when indeed they were.

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk

whereswally606 said:
speedmd said:

s-l225.jpg
I bought a couple of these years ago. For some reason some of the top green LEDs died, happened to both which then rendered them useless as the made you think the cells were imbalanced and not full when indeed they were.

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk

I was also thinking that it would not be good having them on full time. Would need to tie them in to the key switch.

Got the shop manual for the 2013 ranger ev. No mention of the winch 14v battery system unfortunately. Looks to be reasonably simple emergency low use setup. No charge built into the main pack charge circuit unfortunately. While the unit is running, a small separate voltage converter runs a bit of charge to the small batteries. Made for a Low duty cycle use and may need a upgrade for high winch use apps. Not finding any other use for the small batteries so they may go if I switch to a 48v winch when I get to updating the main pack. Sevcon 4 runs very nice. Well programed on the factory settings. In low speed range, the added torque and regen works very nice in tighter and hilly spots. Easy to control with just the accelerator pedal. In high it feels fast and free wheels much better. In max range, it feels more like a typical old folks golf cart, just a bit faster and has a great near silent high end brushless sound. Not finding any issues with the programing so far.

The speed limit is most likely programmed into the controller. With the right programming interface, you might be able to change this. My understanding is the Sevcon programmer is ridiculously expensive, so you'd probably want to find someone that already has one.

The speed limit is most likely programmed into the controller.

Certain it is. It's mainly the spouses garden work cart so I will not be looking for more speed out of it and with two young grand sons (the older one likes speed a bit much), I don't want it any faster. 25 mph in H (high) in the yard is way too fast now. Nice feature that is programmed in, is the seat belt feature, that limits the speed to some 15 mph when it is not on.

Looking further into lithium battery swap and charger- bms options. Nice looking on-board stock 1000W delta q charger for the lead batteries.
https://delta-q.com/product/quiq-1000-industrial-battery-charger/

They claim it may be suitable for lithium also (certainly with BMS). Need to look into this a bit more. Has a bunch of built in algorithms - program settings, and I will need to lower the charge level a bit as it does boil the electrolyte a bit more than I like. Oxide deposits on the terminals looks to be normal to bad and not something that will be missed. Something that will require routine messing with until they are gone.

The old wet batteries are near their end of service for our ranger. Have 14 Leaf modules coming soon. Planning on building a 7s2p or more exactly a (14s4p) setup for it. Shopping for suitable BMS for it now. Any recommendations are welcome. Looking at 300 -400 amp range capable (apox 20kw) which is very possible if it gets stuck a bit and needs to climb out or pull - push a heavy load a few seconds. No place for a display on the dash and leaning toward a blue tooth - phone interface.

Looking at taking some 600 + pounds of lead out of this little tank by my estimates. Lead acid is becoming as many here have experienced, low on capacity (range) and constantly need cables cleaned - replaced and filled with water. The 14s li should be a drop in replacement for the 4s2p marine/truck battery setup.

speedmd said:
Alan B said:
Need to get a shop manual to learn all the subsystems and relay connections.
Hey, I just landed one of these as well. However mines a no go.

I'm looking at re-purposing some lithionics 195 Amphr 12v batteries I have (x4) and a 400 AMP BMS to convert this beast to lithium, but first I have to resolve the sevcon controller issue - https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=105495 :cry: . What year is yours? I have service manual here if you'd like - https://nc.init.nz/s/xmWr4CeTiXowiwN

Keen to see where you go with the Leaf cells as I have access to these as well.

I have the 14 leaf modules bolted together and bus bars made. Chargery 16T BMS ordered. Planning on some mat heaters and muffin fans on the battery box build so we can use it in "real" cold start conditions and keep things functional when hot out. Not sure what relays I need yet with the BMS. Liked the idea of the relay cutting off the charger when the BMS yells uncle.

Overall, impressed with the leaf units. Great setup for this kind of swap. The pack and box will be heavy but still manageable with a strong person to move around - install. Safe with two folks. Will follow up with some photos as this develops.

"Inwo" has a sevcon from one of these. Contact him as he may part with it. Mine is a 2013.

Back