What would you convert?

JennyB

1 kW
Given the time/money/expertise?

In my dreams, an electric Citroen DS - the original, not the modern retro models. Looking at it, it's hard to believe it was first produced 1955. Without the engine there would be a lovely big space within the wheelbase for batteries, and modern computer control could work wonders with that legendary suspension :)

citroen-ds.jpg

More realistically, I'd like a light quadricycle/nev with a bit of style, a modern re-interpretation of one of the innovative cars from the turn of the 19th century, like the original Lanchester.

first.jpg

Since i was a kid and watched the back to the future series i have been fond of the Delorean, i would love to Electrify that car! im sure i could get it to 88MPH easier as well. What do you say Doc? :mrgreen:

i have owned 4 of the old citroens. 3 ID19s '63, '64, '65 and one '65 DS19 and i loved the cars in spite of the years i wasted on them.

i actually think the way peter perkins is going and also the plug in prius conversions make the most sense. you have the EV option but still the long distance capacity if needed. i will wait to see how the turnover of the first generation leafs and imev's happens. maybe a bargain out there when the packs have problems. but i am a honda wagon devotee now.

the old DS frames just rust away here, cursed rain and bare sheet metal frame coated with moisture saving, rust enhancing, horsehair padding.

When I was in high school (late 60's) one of the teachers had a Citroen, and we used to wait around until he left at the end of the day to see it "lift off" when he started it up. It was cool.

Me, I've a 1999 Mercedes E430 that the dealers say is worth slightly less than $2500 (BS!), but I'm going to eventually electrify it and blow the other cars off the road silently (now it blows most of them off the road anyway, but you do hear the engine a little).

Cameron

Citroen have always been technology leaders. suspension, brakes, aerodynamics, front wheel drive, engine design , etc etc.
In the 70's they made a small, lightweight, 4 door , hatchback, sedan with all those features included..the GS.
It used a 1.3L flat 4 , twin OHC, air cooled motor driving the front wheels and incorporating inboard (gearbox mounted) disc brakes, and that famous hydraulic suspension.
Freaking nightmare to work on ! :shock: ... but a wonderful car to drive.
That would make a beaut EV conversion
200px-Citro%C3%ABn_GS_002.JPG
spoiler-1.jpg

Actually a 2CV would be a kinda neat EV also :)

Hillhater said:
Citroen have always been technology leaders. suspension, brakes, aerodynamics, front wheel drive, engine design , etc etc.
In the 70's they made a small, lightweight, 4 door , hatchback, sedan with all those features included..the GS.
It used a 1.3L flat 4 , twin OHC, air cooled motor driving the front wheels and incorporating inboard (gearbox mounted) disc brakes, and that famous hydraulic suspension.
Freaking nightmare to work on ! :shock: ... but a wonderful car to drive.
That would make a beaut EV conversion
200px-Citro%C3%ABn_GS_002.JPG
spoiler-1.jpg

Actually a 2CV would be a kinda neat EV also :)

Yep a class magic carpet car manufacturer.

Don't forget the 70 mpg plus AX which entered the Guinness Book of Records with its 100 mpg (imperial) trip from Dover to Barcelona (1,000 miles) on a single tank (ten gallons).

Citroen story ..
as with many cars in the 90's , Citroen 's quality took a bit of a dive.
I had a 94 Zantia with all the usual Citroen gizmos, but really badly put together.
One day on a 100 ml trip from Birmingham (UK) half way down the M40 motorway, the Aircon drive pulley disintegrated.
No big deal, thinks I , as i dont need the aircon !.... and carried on down the motorway. As i drove and mentally figured out a fix, i noticed the battery charge light was on. Ah ! i figured the alternator was also driven by the now missing poly V drive belt !
OK. but the battery will keep me going for an hour or so providing i dont use the starter, lights, wipers, etc etc.
then, as i continued to drive down the motorway, it dawned on me that the same belt was also driving the hydraulic pump for the suspension ...and brakes, and steering. ! :shock: .... but they all seemed to be working ????
After a few panicky moments , i remembered that all the hydro systems worked on a common pressure system, and if the pump failed(or stopped as mine had) the weight of the car on its hydro suspension would maintain a basic pressure for the other functions also .....until the system lost pressure from use of brakes etc !
Using a strategy of minimal steering (motorway) and slowing on the gears & handbrake etc, i was able to nurture the car another 50 miles to home, but by which time the suspension was on its bump stops and all power steering and braking assist was gone.
I can tell you a car with no suspension, and practically no brakes or steering , is no fun to drive ! :shock:

the perfect car convert is a mini just becuase they look cool, what eles do you need to justify if car is perfect :D

they are good looking but that exit systhem is killing me, what if you parked somewhere,

ev_nred said:
they are good looking but that exit systhem is killing me, what if you parked somewhere,
Huh? You always have to park *somewhere*. :?

RE: What would you convert...

For pure shits and giggles i think i would convert one of them 'Smart cars'
rip the poor excuse for a motor out of it and drop in a Hyabusa bike engine!

[youtube]sLtMh20qIp8[/youtube]

KiM

AussieJester said:

KiM

I think the topic was converting to electric Kim lol :) Take that dirty Hyabusa engine and send it to the scrap heap :lol: . I do think a smart car would make a good EV though, i really like the look of them and they would be light as well, would be super easy to make a NEV or non highway EV out of one of those.

amberwolf said:
ev_nred said:
Huh? You always have to park *somewhere*. :?
Didn't you see "Speed"? (I didn't ask if you liked it.)

Cameron

theRealFury said:
Since i was a kid and watched the back to the future series i have been fond of the Delorean, i would love to Electrify that car! im sure i could get it to 88MPH easier as well. What do you say Doc? :mrgreen:
Back to the future: DeLorean Motor Company unveils surprise electric model
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2011 6:01 pm | Updated: 6:22 pm, Mon Oct 17, 2011.
By STEFANIE THOMAS | 0 comments

The Electric DeLorean: 0-60 mph in 4.9 seconds; maximum speed 125 mph; horsepower 260 hp; range: 100+ miles city driving; battery life: 100,000 miles or seven years; cost: $90,000-$100,000

It was a revelation unlike any other in the history of the DeLorean Motor Company last Friday evening, when the company stunned the crowd by unexpectedly presenting a prototype that will catapult the iconic DeLorean cars into the future: the Electric DeLorean.

“What we [showed] tonight is major leaps forward,” said Stephen Wynne, owner of DMC. “We have had a few incremental updates over time, but as far as substantial updates go, it’s been 30 years.”

Wynne said the company worked on the design for the Electric DeLorean, which boasts a maximum speed of 125 mph and 260 hp, for about four years. DMC plans on bringing the car to market in 2013, at a retail price of $90,000 to $100,000. Meanwhile, DMC intends to further developing prototypes combining the existing DeLorean automobile with the Epic EV electric powertrain.

The Oct. 14 unveiling came as a surprise to the guests at the International DeLorean Owners Event at the company’s Humble headquarters.
“We’ve been talking about it for some time but we have stopped giving people completion dates because things weren’t going to plan,” Wynne said. “So we quieted down on what we’re doing.”

The introduction of the Electric DeLorean was not the only bombshell the company dropped on its visitors Friday evening as DMC also showed off with a super-charge DeLorean that features an improved engine and 260 hp, nearly doubling the horsepower of the stock model. Also introduced was a new underbody made of more lightweight yet sturdy materials, manufactured with the original tooling used in the making of the original DeLoreans decades ago.

Despite the numerous changes and improvements DMC presented, the basic exterior look of the DeLorean remains the same. The sport car’s easily recognizable gull-wing doors and rear-mounted engine are still in place.

“A lot of people consider the styling of the DeLorean timeless,” said Toby Peterson, who operates a DMC franchise in Seattle, Wa. and has personally owned a DeLorean for 20 years. “It was state of the art 30 years ago, and it looks state of the art now. It’s a style that has transcended the decades.”

Since the first DeLorean automobiles rolled off the production line in Northern Ireland in 1981, the car has acquired a cult following worldwide. Much of the DeLorean’s fame can be attributed to the “Back to the Future” movie trilogy, which featured a DeLorean time machine and enhanced the car’s futuristic image. Peterson says the DeLorean has also become a nostalgic symbol of the 80s.

“There are a lot of people who grew up and watched the series of ‘Back to the Future’ movies over and over again. I think a lot of people like DeLoreans because it takes them back to a simpler time when we weren’t connected to a smart phone on our hip and had stuff thrown at us 24/7,” he said. “My DeLorean brings a lot of enjoyment not only to me, but also to other people. It puts smiles on people’s faces anytime they see it because it reminds them of simpler times.”

Leif Montin has worked around DeLoreans for more than 30 years. He went to work for the original DMC in Northern Ireland in 1979 as a parts manager, and sat by sadly as John DeLorean ran the company into the ground by 1983, within only a few short years.

“It was a tragedy when they folded, and it wasn’t necessary,” Montin said. “John DeLorean made some disastrous decisions that made the company fail. Fortunately, Stephen Wynne picked it up and did a marvelous job.”

Montin was still responsible for the DMC’s auto parts when the company went bankrupt. He closed the plant in Ireland, he said, shipped the parts to Ohio and later, when Wynne purchased the inventory, arranged for their transport to Humble. Today, the DeLorean Motor Company in Humble, established in 1995, still has the largest inventory of original DeLorean parts in the world.

“With all the parts we have, we can rebuild the cars from scratch,” said Montin, who is officially retired but finds it difficult to stay away from his lifelong passion. “In the last couple of years we started building new cars from the original parts, and so far we have built [41] of them to order. We build better cars from scratch than what came from the factory back then.”

In addition to assembling cars to order, featuring parts or designs from the original DeLorean automobile combined with modern engine and suspension technology, DMC also services, restores and sells DeLorean automobiles, parts, accessories and merchandise to customers around the world.

“It’s amazing, really — a 30-year-old car that’s as popular today as it was then,” Montin said, “Thanks to the job they do here, the DeLorean will live forever.”

For full specs on the Electric DeLorean, please view this article at http://www.yourhumblenews.com.
For more information on the DeLorean Motor Company, visit http://www.delorean.com.

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/rive...cle_af8f0a61-4f1c-53ab-85a5-edad27885571.html

Joseph C. said:
Don't forget the 70 mpg plus AX which entered the Guinness Book of Records with its 100 mpg (imperial) trip from Dover to Barcelona (1,000 miles) on a single tank (ten gallons).

My policy with cars is to buy cheap used and drive it till it drops. I haven't driven anything from this century yet! :) My last four cars have all been French: an early Renault 5, two AXes and a Clio. The AX was a wonderful little car, very light and roomy for its size. James May (the sensible one on Top Gear) once called the Mk1 AX GT the best all round car ever. My one complaint was that the pedals were so offset towards the centre that on a long drive I had to operate the throttle with half my foot on the wheel arch. :(

AussieJester said:

KiM

Yikes! :shock: I wouldn't let that car anywhere near a public road. The same engine in a Smart Roadster though, or a replica of the Arbath Fiat 600?

29a.jpg

TylerDurden said:
theRealFury said:
Back to the future: DeLorean Motor Company unveils surprise electric model
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2011 6:01 pm | Updated: 6:22 pm, Mon Oct 17, 2011.
By STEFANIE THOMAS | 0 comments

The Electric DeLorean: 0-60 mph in 4.9 seconds; maximum speed 125 mph; horsepower 260 hp; range: 100+ miles city driving; battery life: 100,000 miles or seven years; cost: $90,000-$100,000

It was a revelation unlike any other in the history of the DeLorean Motor Company last Friday evening, when the company stunned the crowd by unexpectedly presenting a prototype that will catapult the iconic DeLorean cars into the future: the Electric DeLorean.
Sign me up! (Note to self: buy 2 extra lottery tickets tonight, just to make sure.)

Cameron

Ford Capri.

titlepic.jpg.opt607x385o0,0s607x385.jpg

Why??

First off.....just look her. Just look at that body and those lines.

capri_xx_pack.jpg

Massive engine bay. I mean massive. You can get any motor you want in there and not have to worry about space. You can even get batteries in there. The trunk/boot is spacious also

images

Very spacious interior. Easily renovated/changed dashboard. No airbags to worry about.

Needs weight over the rear axle to tame its tendency to slide. {not power-slide, just slide}. Batteries in the boot would help cure that and let the driver get the power down.

In addition, the Police are not as likely to have their attention drawn to it. She just looks like a collectors Club-Car.

Probably the only downside is the cars innate inefficiency caused by the near-perpendicular windscreen and its attractiveness to thieves and kids looking for something RWD. Of course, they can be flummoxed by a motley arrangement of wires. Hot-wire that you scum.

JennyB said:
Joseph C. said:

My policy with cars is to buy cheap used and drive it till it drops. I haven't driven anything from this century yet! :) My last four cars have all been French: an early Renault 5, two AXes and a Clio. The AX was a wonderful little car, very light and roomy for its size. James May (the sensible one on Top Gear) once called the Mk1 AX GT the best all round car ever. My one complaint was that the pedals were so offset towards the centre that on a long drive I had to operate the throttle with half my foot on the wheel arch. :(
##

'Tis a good policy. My own one is to avoid getting a car at all costs. :mrgreen:

How are the injuries coming along? Between yourself and Icecube ye have been the catalyst for a spate of injuries. :mrgreen:

Loved the old Ford Capris, the V6 version was fairly scarce in oz
Back in the 1980s, I haven't seen one for many years now even at car shows.
A bloke I knocked around with 20 years ago had one body was rusty
But he bombed the motor, damn it was fast...aaagh the 80's
When fuel was cheap, I could walk and the chicks all had big hair lol

KiM

AussieJester said:
Loved the old Ford Capris, the V6 version was fairly scarce in oz
Back in the 1980s, I haven't seen one for many years now even at car shows.
A bloke I knocked around with 20 years ago had one body was rusty
But he bombed the motor, damn it was fast...aaagh the 80's
When fuel was cheap, I could walk and the chicks all had big hair lol

KiM

Essex V6, I hope, and not the pants Cologne V6.

My brother had one with a 2.1 Pinto. Its arse went out more often than a rent boy.

Joseph C. said:
JennyB said:
##

'Tis a good policy. My own one is to avoid getting a car at all costs. :mrgreen:

How are the injuries coming along? Between yourself and Icecube ye have been the catalyst for a spate of injuries. :mrgreen:

The injuries are pretty well healed, thanks, - just the odd bit of crunchiness now and again. I'm back on the bike, but still unpowered, and trying to recover my fitness. Not easy with these dark evenings.

If I were living on my own I could do very well without a car, but Mum's got to the stage now where she can't really read of follow the TV or radio. The one thing she really enjoys is to go out for a drive if the weather is anyway fit. Even an AX is big and clumsy on the little 'three-ply' roads we enjoy - the ones with the grass growing up the middle. :) That's why I'd really love something like the old Lanchester that could be registered as a light quadricycle. 8)

Back