It’ll Be a While Before We Replace Car Mirrors With Cameras

TylerDurden

100 GW
Why It’ll Be a While Before We Can Replace Car Mirrors With Cameras
BY DAMON LAVRINC 04.03.14
WIRED

"Should automakers succeed in getting the rules changed, we could see interior mirrors replaced by screens, as seen on Audi’s R8 etron concept and R18 etron race car. Combined with camera-based systems for exterior mirrors, automakers could completely eliminate blind spots by using a wide angle lens and image processing to provide a far wider field of vision than traditional mirrors. And they can place the screens where it’s most easily seen by the driver–as opposed to mirrors, which must be positioned to afford the best rearward view."

http://www.wired.com/2014/04/tesla-auto-alliance-mirrors/

TylerDurden said:
Why It’ll Be a While Before We Can Replace Car Mirrors With Cameras
BY DAMON LAVRINC 04.03.14
WIRED

"Should automakers succeed in getting the rules changed, we could see interior mirrors replaced by screens, as seen on Audi’s R8 etron concept and R18 etron race car. Combined with camera-based systems for exterior mirrors, automakers could completely eliminate blind spots by using a wide angle lens and image processing to provide a far wider field of vision than traditional mirrors. And they can place the screens where it’s most easily seen by the driver–as opposed to mirrors, which must be positioned to afford the best rearward view."

http://www.wired.com/2014/04/tesla-auto-alliance-mirrors/

I've been waiting for these "mirrors". Lowers the Cd of a vehicle as well.

I'm surprised nobody has thought about giving us radar :wink:

radar is now an option on several luxury passenger cars and will stop the car if the operator does not respond to prompts.

i expect these kinda options to become standard equipment because it is so cheap to implement but because it is so hi tech that the purchaser will choose to add them as features and will pay the price so it can up grade the profits on the vehicle with little added expense.

dnmun said:
radar is now an option on several luxury passenger cars and will stop the car if the operator does not respond to prompts.

i expect these kinda options to become standard equipment because it is so cheap to implement but because it is so hi tech that the purchaser will choose to add them as features and will pay the price so it can up grade the profits on the vehicle with little added expense.

I wish that FLIR would have taken off, but only some manufacturers are still doing it. GM dumped it.

maybe "FLIR-view" camera/mirrors in our future?

I'm pretty sure all the above has been done by mercedes.
The mirror cams in the rangerover are a perv's dream.

It would be a lot more productive to have a sensor that starts beeping as you get close to something and speeds up as you get closer. If they don't bother to look in the mirror, why would they bother to look at a camera?

Dauntless said:
It would be a lot more productive to have a sensor that starts beeping as you get close to something and speeds up as you get closer. If they don't bother to look in the mirror, why would they bother to look at a camera?
People's eyes are automatically drawn towards any nearby TV screen due to conditioning from years of watching the boob tube. One might think that the mirror would only draw their attention if they see themselves in it. :)

The fingers said:
People's eyes are automatically drawn towards any nearby TV screen due to conditioning from years of watching the boob tube. One might think that the mirror would only draw their attention if they see themselves in it. :)

You hope, but I don't think there's any guarantee. People will give up habits only if they learn it's actually good for them.

Dauntless said:
It would be a lot more productive to have a sensor that starts beeping as you get close to something and speeds up as you get closer.
That is pretty much standard on any modern car these days. Often linked to the brakes to stop/slow the car if an obstacle gets too close. Often termed "parking sensors" or "brake activation sensors".

Back