13 electric vans for sale UK £17500, that's £1350 each!

flexy

100 W
Saw these on Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MODEC-ELE...7?pt=UK_Commercial_Trucks&hash=item19f41bb8f7

These were used for supermarket deliveries, the vehicle manufacturer Modec has since gone bust,

Some info and pictures of motor/controller here http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/sustainable/data/modec/tour.html

The batteries seem to be Sodium Nickel Chloride for that year of manufacture http://www.meridian-int-res.com/Projects/Zebra_Pages.pdf

I would love one of these for work or a possible camper conversion, If anyone is interested in a group purchase?

Shame another EV battler has gone belly up.
Seems like they had a neat product, but I guess scale of production and market competition in commercial vehicles , got the better of them. Battery prices won't have helped either.

i chased down a Frito Lay electric truck today. talked to the guy, he said about 50mph max and 50 miles range. they had built in chargers and the batteries were enclosed in a huge metal case under each side right behind the cab and there was a round switch recessed in the face of the case for the disconnect. easily accessible.

we compared vehicles. i estimated his big delivery van was 18k lbs and me at 1300 lbs.

also saw another tesla model S in traffic, and two ebikes went by my house within minutes of each other. yelled but the guy never turned around. rear hub on 20" suspension almost like a BMS in size and another looked like a mongoose frame. no pedaling at all.

There are probably a lot of small business that could use one of those. You couldn't buy an ICE-powered refrigerated van for anywhere near that cheap.

Removing the insulated rear box and fitting a flatbed would also make them very useful as utility or general delivery vehicle.

Sadly, I'd be surprised if anyone had a need for 17 of them...

What a cool bargain, hope you manage to snag one. Ring them up and throw them a low ball offer for a single one.

LOL at the image of dnmun chasing down a truck.

I've always thought there'd be a niche for a delivery company to deliver all the gluten free organic wholefoods to those expensive coffee shops etc using EVs. Recharging would seem to be an obstacle.

the guy had stopped to deliver potato chips at the walmart so i could catch up. i think frito lay is leading on this since i read they had 100 delivery vans running on juice. i had seen them before, wanted to see more but the guy was working. drivers get nervous when you go poking around their equipment.

Shame batteries are flat, although would be too good to be true if they weren't knackered! Otherwise I'd be in for a group purchase......

wrekinwanderer said:
Shame batteries are flat, although would be too good to be true if they weren't knackered! Otherwise I'd be in for a group purchase......

If they are the Sodium Nickel Chloride ones they can tolerate being run flat, they solidify and then need to be 'thawed'. It's a chemeistry that only works if your plugging in at night and using them daily such as delivery or public transport, personally I would replace with Leaf cells or similar, This would obviously be a hefty investment for a decent range.
The fact is for anyone looking to do a car or van conversion the controller and 80KW motor from one of these would be a steal.

May be worth checking, but for a fact many of those Modec trucks were kitted out with A123 packs.
Also, it depends what they mean by "Flat" .. any decent BMS would protect cells from dropping to 0v,.
maybe they are just reading a gauge , and not checking the actual cells ??

dnmun said:
i chased down a Frito Lay electric truck today. talked to the guy, he said about 50mph max and 50 miles range. they had built in chargers and the batteries were enclosed in a huge metal case under each side right behind the cab and there was a round switch recessed in the face of the case for the disconnect. easily accessible.

we compared vehicles. i estimated his big delivery van was 18k lbs and me at 1300 lbs.

also saw another tesla model S in traffic, and two ebikes went by my house within minutes of each other. yelled but the guy never turned around. rear hub on 20" suspension almost like a BMS in size and another looked like a mongoose frame. no pedaling at all.
I was curious about these trucks and tried to chase one down but was not as successful as you. I did get a quick photo though.

frito.jpg

(not sure why the photo won't download but it does give this link)

Back