Volkswagen camper electric

arkmundi

10 MW
Volkswagen bus to be revived as an electric vehicle
The iconic "hippie wagon" may soon see a very apropos resurrection from the dead. Speaking at the New York Auto Show, Volkswagen board member Dr Heinz-Jakob Neusser announced that the German auto company was working on a brand new camper concept -- one that would run on batteries, rather than petrol, powering an electric motor driving the front wheels...
An idea that has percolated for awhile may finally become a reality. The ultimate greeneemobile. Will they rename it the Voltswagen? Roadtrip to Colorado anyone? :mrgreen:

Boy this brings back memories... Back in the day I think just about everyone I knew drove a Volkswagen bus at one time or another. Lots of road trips and extra curricular activities. Not everyone survived with their legs intact though. One thin piece of sheet metal does not make for a very good front end crumple zone.

Electric VW bus? Been there, done that! :lol:

-JD

Caught this piece of news: http://www.usnews.com/news/business...o-shed-30-000-jobs-to-cut-costs-after-scandal
Volkswagen announced plans Friday to cut 30,000 jobs in a wide-ranging restructuring of its namesake brand as it tries to recover from a scandal over cars rigged to cheat on diesel emissions tests.

The German company said the job cuts are part of a long-term plan to improve profitability and shift resources and investment to electric-powered vehicles and digital services.
On scale, that's a tectonic shift in the industry. To deal with increasingly stringent emissions standards, a company has to cheat, get's caught, and looking down the maw of bankruptcy, attempts to transform itself bottom up. That's a lot of people suddenly left without a job. Forget the acid and tangerine dreams - its time for some fentanyl.

VW Will Apparently Build This Retro Electric Microbus
("Based on the I.D. BUZZ concept that debuted this year, Volkswagen is finally putting a retro Microbus into production."):
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...pparently-build-this-retro-electric-microbus/

Starts:
At the Detroit Auto Show in January, Volkswagen showed off the I.D. Buzz concept, an all-electric tribute to the iconic Microbus of the 1960s. This was the latest in a long line of concepts recalling the Type 2, but this could very well be one that the company will actually build. Speaking to Auto Express, VW brand chief Herbert Diess said the company has decided to put the I.D. Buzz into production.

:)

I drive our deluxe EV 1966 bug around and its bloody scary the people that come up to you and tell stories of all the things they got up to in one.
Cheers Kiwi

Attachments

• IMG_2843.JPG
    IMG_2843.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 2,994
New e-Microbus

Intro video

50 years later ...
Upgraded from 40hp to 396hp, through all wheel drive
for 0 - 60 in 5 seconds
near 300 mile range
fully autonomous drive
and wireless charges 80% in 30 minutes

It's a great looking concept car and I like how it still has the classic styling, but "it is still very much a concept." Concepts are a dime a dozen. Let's face it, the big auto makers love teasing us every couple years. For them it's just a matter of PR, they have no interest in actually making these vehicles. They've been doing the EV tease for at least 15 years, and the next time they cart out a hyper futuristic concept car with no intention of ever bringing it to market, they should be slapped down hard.

Just to clarify, yes the big auto makers are coming out with EVs now, but they have no interest in making an EV everyone actually wants. They are doing the minimum they can to get credit, while focusing on their gas cars.

If they, either by themselves or teamed up with Westfalia again, makes a camper with pop top and a kitchen unit, I'll tell you right now I will sign up for one as soon as they allow me.

kiwiev said:
I drive our deluxe EV 1966 bug around and its bloody scary the people that come up to you and tell stories of all the things they got up to in one.
Cheers Kiwi

Nice Job on the ‘66 Kiwi! Build thread?

-JD

Back