Nissan Leaf Tuning Potential?

Punx0r

1 GW
Seeing as the Leaf looks to be the first EV that is becoming readily available and cheap as they age, it got me wondering about the tuning potential of these cars. I'm guessing some parts will have to be replaced, but does anyone happen to have any knowledge of the upper capability of the drive motor/battery/inverter/transaxle?

Just a hypothetical discussion :)

The "lizard packs" (stock in all LEAF's 2015 and newer IIRC) are capable of something like ~300hp.

With Arlo1's controller fitted to a LEAF with the Lizard battery, you've got the potential for a very peppy sleeper.

Cool. So inverter is the weak link, then the battery then the motor, which I recall reading on here should be able to take my hundreds of kW for a brief burst. Then just the traditional uncertainty of mechanical breakages :)

I figure if you're buying these cars cheap at a ripe old age then the batteries may be in need of replacement anyway.

200-250HP (by ICE standards) should be adequate for good progress and a bit of fun in a car of the Leaf's weight (1500kg). 300HP plus the low speed acceleration inherent to electric drive ought to make it impressive from standing starts and at lower road speeds.

I can accept beautiful cars that are slow and ugly cars that are fast, but the Leaf is unfortunately ugly and slow in standard guise ;)

Back