NOBUO-01, solar assisted small EV

Nobuo

10 kW
I've released an ended version of the latest project I've worked this summer, named the NOBUO-01 :lol:. It is a two-seat small electric car assisted with a solar panel. It has been for me a platform for experimenting with four-wheel drive with dual motor, a solar installation, welding steel and generally a higher voltage system than usual.

Although the vehicle is not nearly a truly useful or commercial product it's still interesting in some aspects of their construction and serves as an example to show basic concepts of an electric vehicle.

It is built from a very strong steel base that was part of a pedal go-kart acquired in Germany that was missing some pieces in the front. The base has been modified to accommodate two front hubs and also to fit the entire desired dimensions.

The electrical system contains:
- Twin 10kV Front direct drive hubs with a maximum output of 1500W each, laced into 16" rims (a spokes nightmare :roll: ) and mounted on 16" steel forks.
- 1500W peak twin controllers, each one feeding each hub and within connections are in parallel to respond identical to commands.
- Lithium-Ion Battery 72V 29Ah specially designed for the power levels with a BMS capable of delivering 40A continuous (3360W max).
- Two 72VDC to 12VDC converters and one 12VDC to 5VDC converter.
- 6 fuses Box to protect each controller independently, each converter, an output for connecting a 72VDC to 240VAC inverter and a sixth 72VDC output unused for now.
- The steering wheel incorporates a display with speedometer, mileage, battery level, voltage and outside temperature. Two digital thermometers with probes connected to each axis of each hub. Graphic wattmeter with consumption curves. Accelerator. Button for regenerative braking, high level brake and reverse. A rearview screen (rear camera)
- The instrument panel includes a push button that activates side lights, short lights and long lights, charging port car cigarette lighter (12V), two USB ports, voltmeter (converter) and each device installed on the steering wheel.
- A 60W solar panel with 14 protected solar cells connected in series to form a voltage of 98Voc and 84Vmp, ideal for charging a lithium ion battery 72V (84Vmax). A solar controller connected to it and the battery, which regulates and indicates the accumulated charge (Ah), instantaneous amperage, solar panel voltage, battery voltage and other values. Also with a USB charging port.
- All LED lighting are 12VDC and are powered by converters.

In terms of performance:
- It Has a mixed range of 200km(+ 5km per hour of sun) at 35Km/h, an average consumption close to 10W/km thanks to a low profile, not any train losses except bearings and induction motor, 16" wheels that make the hubs operate very efficiently, thoroughly battery built to maximize efficiency and overall 72V system help to minimizing energy losses.
- Maximum speed of 50 km/h in normal mode. ~ 65Km/h in 120% mode (with an extremely high amps draining).
- Regenerative braking works like a wall, it's configured into the controllers (Greentime) to do it right at 72V (84Vmax) and "high level brake" that stops completely the wheels. There is also a mechanical brake lever braking the rear wheels, and mechanical brakes V-brakes available on the front forks.

I hope you like it! I am happy to answer any questions about its construction :eek: (soon I'll upload a video of its complete assembly)

Update: building video of the 2.1kWh 72V 29Ah battery pack ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z1PIGLRSMc
Update: building video of the Nobuo-01 ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=k6RLA0abmF8

12043876_1470733399923451_1384519882_o.jpg

12043991_1470733396590118_1552418350_o.jpg

That looks like a fun project, and well sorted, thanks for sharing. I like the bike forks used as motor mounts! I can't tell if it is registered for the road, do you have someplace where you can drive it around?

-JD

tons of fun indeed :), not designed to be registered by far, it is illegal in the moment it touch the ground :mrgreen:

It is just a bunch of different technologies at once so it works like a way to explain different electric, and EV concepts. It is funny riding it two people at superslow speed (that's how I drive it always, never road indeed) and just seeing people wondering the hell is that.

The most interesting part is the whole building video that I'm making now, and the overall cost of only $1500 including the 2.1kW battery

Man thats cool. Where do I get one? :D I am thinking about building something similar... not sure how I would go with the fun police in Australia though.

Serious quality video too, so much work has gone into the vehicle, Wow! Must be very rewarding to mission around in it now. 8)

How much does the solar panel give back vs whats consumed in use?

Back