KiwiEVs next project fast EV

Electric cars, trucks, ATVs, NEVs - things bigger than a motorcycle.
Post Reply
User avatar
kiwiev
100 kW
100 kW
Posts: 1008
Joined: Mar 22, 2015 4:19 am
Location: Jindabyne NSW Australia
Contact:

KiwiEVs next project fast EV

Post by kiwiev » Nov 09, 2015 4:41 pm

So I have been getting offers for the sonic EV

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... =7&t=69603

And have been thinking of converting a production car and narrowed it down to a Audi TT or Porsche Boxer.

Set-up

3 x AC 51 HPEV or 2 x AC 35x2 HPEV motors both set-ups are over 300 Hp and near 400 ft/lb of torque

Battery either 18650 or A-123 20 Ah pouch voltage 165 volt (the curtis controllers I here can take 171 volts) and Ah at least 200Ah

But open to all ideas out there please post your thoughts :idea: :idea: :idea:


Cheers Kiwi
Attachments
3-800-061014 porsche boxster 2015-74164.jpg
3-800-061014 porsche boxster 2015-74164.jpg (38.19 KiB) Viewed 5194 times
Audi tt.jpg
Audi tt.jpg (69.31 KiB) Viewed 5194 times

Simonvtr
100 W
100 W
Posts: 216
Joined: Sep 23, 2015 3:18 pm
Location: USA, Harrisburg PA

Re: KiwiEVs next project fast EV

Post by Simonvtr » Nov 09, 2015 4:42 pm

Please do S2000 ^^

User avatar
kiwiev
100 kW
100 kW
Posts: 1008
Joined: Mar 22, 2015 4:19 am
Location: Jindabyne NSW Australia
Contact:

Re: KiwiEVs next project fast EV

Post by kiwiev » Nov 09, 2015 4:46 pm

Simonvtr wrote:Please do S2000 ^^

Hey Simon are you offering $2k mate :D :D :D

Cheers Kiwi

Simonvtr
100 W
100 W
Posts: 216
Joined: Sep 23, 2015 3:18 pm
Location: USA, Harrisburg PA

Re: KiwiEVs next project fast EV

Post by Simonvtr » Nov 09, 2015 4:48 pm

:)
Nah I always wanted a s2k but due to my disability to drive manual I would have to go with an Auto 2jz motor.
But I would love to see one converted to EV. Then when I turn 40 my wife said she will get me one and maybe I can convert it.

User avatar
kiwiev
100 kW
100 kW
Posts: 1008
Joined: Mar 22, 2015 4:19 am
Location: Jindabyne NSW Australia
Contact:

Re: KiwiEVs next project fast EV

Post by kiwiev » Nov 09, 2015 5:23 pm

Simonvtr wrote::)
Nah I always wanted a s2k but due to my disability to drive manual I would have to go with an Auto 2jz motor.
But I would love to see one converted to EV. Then when I turn 40 my wife said she will get me one and maybe I can convert it.
Ohh sorry for my lack of model Knowledge what car is that? :oops:

my choice for the Porsche was because of the mid-mount and I thought manual for sure, I can get one down here for around $16000 with around 150000km on a 2001 -2004 model.

Cheers Kiwi

User avatar
Cowardlyduck
10 MW
10 MW
Posts: 2381
Joined: Jun 26, 2011 8:41 pm
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia

Re: KiwiEVs next project fast EV

Post by Cowardlyduck » Nov 09, 2015 5:32 pm

Mate, just saw this; freakin awesome!

I'm torn about which car...they are both great! The Audi is a bit weird in my opinion. I know they were popular, but these day's it looks a bit dated to me where as the Porsche still looks quite modern, and the mid mount is surely better for weight distribution.

Looking forward to this one either way. :)

Cheers
High Power LiPo wiring harnesses - 4P - XT90, HXT4mm, 5.5mm. 200Amp+ capable. Global shipping.

Modified Stealth Fighter - Force air cooled Leaf motor @ 6KW, Heat-sinked Adaptto Mini-E. Battery = 49AH, 14S (51.1V) Sanyo 18650GA - 2.5Kwhr = 200km range!
Cowardlyducks - Stealth Fighter Videos

BikeE recumbent - Golden motor, 6Fet Grinfineon, internal 17AH, 14S Sanyo 18650GA, + on-board solar.

The stuff I make and modify.

User avatar
Gregory
100 kW
100 kW
Posts: 1167
Joined: Jul 27, 2007 9:18 pm
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: KiwiEVs next project fast EV

Post by Gregory » Nov 09, 2015 5:43 pm

It's a Honda S2000.


1) x5305 Hub Motor in a 24" Sun rim with 10G spokes, Kelly 72601 controller, 74V 10Ah Turnigy LiPo 20C Battery and CycleAnalyst
2) Mac 10T rear hub in a 700C "comfort bike" 15S 5Ah LiPo, stock 28A Xie Cheng controller
3) 38" Longboard, Turnigy 6374, CC Mamba XL2 ESC

Simonvtr
100 W
100 W
Posts: 216
Joined: Sep 23, 2015 3:18 pm
Location: USA, Harrisburg PA

Re: KiwiEVs next project fast EV

Post by Simonvtr » Nov 09, 2015 5:54 pm

Audi TT are usually consider chick cars or cars for lesbian women.
It usually is under power for the price compare to other cars out there like a Mazda Miata.
Same goes for guys why drive Scion Tc. How does your Tampon handle?
That's what we call dude who drive them here in the US.

If you going to make an EV you might consider the weight difference between the 2 model.
The audi TT is the heaviest of the 2 @ 3,100 lbs
Boxster 2,900 lbs
S200 2,800 lbs
Mazda miata 2,300 lbs.

Honda S2000
I would love to get one and paint it hot pink.
Image
Last edited by Simonvtr on Nov 09, 2015 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Simonvtr
100 W
100 W
Posts: 216
Joined: Sep 23, 2015 3:18 pm
Location: USA, Harrisburg PA

Re: KiwiEVs next project fast EV

Post by Simonvtr » Nov 09, 2015 5:58 pm

During my college years we used to pick on Porsche boxster and beat them in Dodge srt4 running stage 2 turbo.
I know my choice of car isn't exotic like the Audi and Porsche but I have been in love with the s2k since they released them and have bought every game that had the car in it.

User avatar
kiwiev
100 kW
100 kW
Posts: 1008
Joined: Mar 22, 2015 4:19 am
Location: Jindabyne NSW Australia
Contact:

Re: KiwiEVs next project fast EV

Post by kiwiev » Nov 09, 2015 11:37 pm

Thanks Simon

I don't suppose you know the engine length from gearbox to front of motor?

Cheers Kiwi

User avatar
kiwiev
100 kW
100 kW
Posts: 1008
Joined: Mar 22, 2015 4:19 am
Location: Jindabyne NSW Australia
Contact:

Re: KiwiEVs next project fast EV

Post by kiwiev » Nov 09, 2015 11:39 pm

Cowardlyduck wrote:Mate, just saw this; freakin awesome!

I'm torn about which car...they are both great! The Audi is a bit weird in my opinion. I know they were popular, but these day's it looks a bit dated to me where as the Porsche still looks quite modern, and the mid mount is surely better for weight distribution.

Looking forward to this one either way. :)

Cheers
Yeah I can get an Audi for $8000 but a Porsche is $17,000 and the parts are $$$$ bushing rubbers etc

Cheers Kiwi

User avatar
Cowardlyduck
10 MW
10 MW
Posts: 2381
Joined: Jun 26, 2011 8:41 pm
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia

Re: KiwiEVs next project fast EV

Post by Cowardlyduck » Nov 09, 2015 11:46 pm

kiwiev wrote:Porsche is $17,000 and the parts are $$$$ bushing rubbers etc<br abp="702"><br abp="703">Cheers Kiwi
Ouch, I can see why the Audi might be more attractive then.

If I was doing it I would build a sleeper...some dodgy looking bomb of a hatchback that's also light weight and put all the tricks under the bonnet. Don't bother making it look good, just fast and a bit of added strength where needed.
I haven't yet seen any good sleeper EV's TBH.

The other project I would love to do is a super fast Delorian EV. Although it wouldn't be the first I think.

Cheers
High Power LiPo wiring harnesses - 4P - XT90, HXT4mm, 5.5mm. 200Amp+ capable. Global shipping.

Modified Stealth Fighter - Force air cooled Leaf motor @ 6KW, Heat-sinked Adaptto Mini-E. Battery = 49AH, 14S (51.1V) Sanyo 18650GA - 2.5Kwhr = 200km range!
Cowardlyducks - Stealth Fighter Videos

BikeE recumbent - Golden motor, 6Fet Grinfineon, internal 17AH, 14S Sanyo 18650GA, + on-board solar.

The stuff I make and modify.

User avatar
kiwiev
100 kW
100 kW
Posts: 1008
Joined: Mar 22, 2015 4:19 am
Location: Jindabyne NSW Australia
Contact:

Re: KiwiEVs next project fast EV

Post by kiwiev » Nov 10, 2015 12:55 am

Cowardlyduck wrote:
kiwiev wrote:Porsche is $17,000 and the parts are $$$$ bushing rubbers etc<br abp="702"><br abp="703">Cheers Kiwi
Ouch, I can see why the Audi might be more attractive then.

If I was doing it I would build a sleeper...some dodgy looking bomb of a hatchback that's also light weight and put all the tricks under the bonnet. Don't bother making it look good, just fast and a bit of added strength where needed.
I haven't yet seen any good sleeper EV's TBH.

The other project I would love to do is a super fast Delorian EV. Although it wouldn't be the first I think.

Cheers
Delorian has been done by solar online thru there side company elmofo

EV west have done a VW twin cab the body is S&#^t but nice wheels and 2 x AC51 in the back :D

Cheers Kiwi

User avatar
kiwiev
100 kW
100 kW
Posts: 1008
Joined: Mar 22, 2015 4:19 am
Location: Jindabyne NSW Australia
Contact:

Re: KiwiEVs next project fast EV

Post by kiwiev » Nov 10, 2015 5:39 am

So I have been searching and these motors maybe a better option AMR Single Stack 250-115 AC Motor

150Kw and 220 ft/lb torque and light 40Kg

what do you think Guys ????


Cheers Kiwi
Attachments
amr-0140_90_single_stack_fsmall_1.jpg
amr-0140_90_single_stack_fsmall_1.jpg (76.85 KiB) Viewed 559 times

User avatar
Cowardlyduck
10 MW
10 MW
Posts: 2381
Joined: Jun 26, 2011 8:41 pm
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia

Re: KiwiEVs next project fast EV

Post by Cowardlyduck » Nov 10, 2015 5:56 am

That is pretty good for the weight. Would you run 2 or 3 though?

Are you dead set on the A/C motor again?
I love the torque of DC motor's, and if I were doing a car would seriously consider the Netgain Warp 11.
http://www.evsource.com/tls_warp11.php
You should consider it if the car will be more of a daily driver than a track car. The massive torque never gets old. :)

Cheers
High Power LiPo wiring harnesses - 4P - XT90, HXT4mm, 5.5mm. 200Amp+ capable. Global shipping.

Modified Stealth Fighter - Force air cooled Leaf motor @ 6KW, Heat-sinked Adaptto Mini-E. Battery = 49AH, 14S (51.1V) Sanyo 18650GA - 2.5Kwhr = 200km range!
Cowardlyducks - Stealth Fighter Videos

BikeE recumbent - Golden motor, 6Fet Grinfineon, internal 17AH, 14S Sanyo 18650GA, + on-board solar.

The stuff I make and modify.

User avatar
1000w
1 kW
1 kW
Posts: 451
Joined: Apr 26, 2008 6:24 am
Location: Western Australia

Re: KiwiEVs next project fast EV

Post by 1000w » Nov 10, 2015 7:53 am

Hey Kiwi,
My pick would be an BMW E46 M3, beautiful looking, amazing handling, a true classic and some very cheap ones around.
I used to own one until I got a 7 seater for the family, the E46 was the best car I've ever owned.
I dream about getting another and converting it to an EV.
Cheers,
Matt

Simonvtr
100 W
100 W
Posts: 216
Joined: Sep 23, 2015 3:18 pm
Location: USA, Harrisburg PA

Re: KiwiEVs next project fast EV

Post by Simonvtr » Nov 10, 2015 7:59 am

kiwiev wrote:Thanks Simon

I don't suppose you know the engine length from gearbox to front of motor?

Cheers Kiwi
Sorry Kiwi I am unable to find any spec of the motor and tranny length.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_S2000

Here is a picture that kinda shows the size of the motor and transmission
Image

Would you be using the stock transmission?
I thought electric cars can go without a transmission like the model S.

Maybe another car to consider if you looking for the bling bling is a BMW Z4 hardtop :)

Btw you don't have to consider the honda s2k pick whichever car you want :D

User avatar
kiwiev
100 kW
100 kW
Posts: 1008
Joined: Mar 22, 2015 4:19 am
Location: Jindabyne NSW Australia
Contact:

Re: KiwiEVs next project fast EV

Post by kiwiev » Nov 10, 2015 3:02 pm

Cowardlyduck wrote:That is pretty good for the weight. Would you run 2 or 3 though?

Are you dead set on the A/C motor again?
I love the torque of DC motor's, and if I were doing a car would seriously consider the Netgain Warp 11.
http://www.evsource.com/tls_warp11.php
You should consider it if the car will be more of a daily driver than a track car. The massive torque never gets old. :)

Cheers
yeah I know the DC has torque but no great rpm range :) But the best thing about my AC setup is Regen the sonic can stop from 100kph in under 50 meters mostly due to Regen. But DC motors are cheaper and this car will be a 100 km range joy ride car I think :?

Thanks for the thoughts please keep them coming :D

Cheers Kiwi

User avatar
kiwiev
100 kW
100 kW
Posts: 1008
Joined: Mar 22, 2015 4:19 am
Location: Jindabyne NSW Australia
Contact:

Re: KiwiEVs next project fast EV

Post by kiwiev » Nov 10, 2015 3:10 pm

1000w wrote:Hey Kiwi,
My pick would be an BMW E46 M3, beautiful looking, amazing handling, a true classic and some very cheap ones around.
I used to own one until I got a 7 seater for the family, the E46 was the best car I've ever owned.
I dream about getting another and converting it to an EV.
Cheers,
Matt
Thanks Mate

I do like the BMW gear I have a BMW racing Diff in the Sonic 7. EV West has already done a twin 11" warp seat up with great results. :D



Cheers Kiwi

User avatar
kiwiev
100 kW
100 kW
Posts: 1008
Joined: Mar 22, 2015 4:19 am
Location: Jindabyne NSW Australia
Contact:

Re: KiwiEVs next project fast EV

Post by kiwiev » Nov 10, 2015 3:16 pm

Simonvtr wrote:
kiwiev wrote:Thanks Simon

I don't suppose you know the engine length from gearbox to front of motor?

Cheers Kiwi
Sorry Kiwi I am unable to find any spec of the motor and tranny length.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_S2000

Here is a picture that kinda shows the size of the motor and transmission
Image

Would you be using the stock transmission?
I thought electric cars can go without a transmission like the model S.

Maybe another car to consider if you looking for the bling bling is a BMW Z4 hardtop :)

Btw you don't have to consider the honda s2k pick whichever car you want :D
Thanks Simon

My Sonic 7 has no transmission but it would have been nice to have another gear to play with, and mechanical advantage is helpful IMO :D

The Honda is nice but not many of them around down here in Oz, I really want to do something different and nice with good handling and drag coefficient. BTW I have found in my sonic that there isnt much performance difference with 2 people in the car.

Cheers Kiwi
Attachments
IMG_2160.JPG
IMG_2160.JPG (100.15 KiB) Viewed 5072 times

Lurkin
100 kW
100 kW
Posts: 1497
Joined: Jan 18, 2015 4:31 pm
Location: Melbourne, VIC, AUS

Re: KiwiEVs next project fast EV

Post by Lurkin » Nov 10, 2015 4:46 pm

C'mon, if its Porsche do it right. You'll be broke afterwards but.. you'll be happy broke?

Porsche 911 GT3 RS

Image

User avatar
kiwiev
100 kW
100 kW
Posts: 1008
Joined: Mar 22, 2015 4:19 am
Location: Jindabyne NSW Australia
Contact:

Re: KiwiEVs next project fast EV

Post by kiwiev » Nov 10, 2015 5:07 pm

Lurkin wrote:C'mon, if its Porsche do it right. You'll be broke afterwards but.. you'll be happy broke?

Porsche 911 GT3 RS

Image

LOL :lol: my wife would disown me :D :D :D

I can get one for $25K 1977 model but F%^k they hold there value mate

Cheers Kiwi

Ohbse
10 kW
10 kW
Posts: 764
Joined: Dec 26, 2013 5:15 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: KiwiEVs next project fast EV

Post by Ohbse » Nov 10, 2015 5:58 pm

Boxster would be cool, but as you say - not a cheap process.

Personally I would do an MX5/Miata. Cheap as chips, parts are cheap, huge aftermarket for everything you could want and performance potential even higher than the porsche option. I'm thinking about buying a gasser one to hoon around in for the summer, not hard to pick one up for $1500-2000 for an NA around here.

User avatar
kiwiev
100 kW
100 kW
Posts: 1008
Joined: Mar 22, 2015 4:19 am
Location: Jindabyne NSW Australia
Contact:

Re: KiwiEVs next project fast EV

Post by kiwiev » Nov 10, 2015 7:43 pm

Ohbse wrote:Boxster would be cool, but as you say - not a cheap process.

Personally I would do an MX5/Miata. Cheap as chips, parts are cheap, huge aftermarket for everything you could want and performance potential even higher than the porsche option. I'm thinking about buying a gasser one to hoon around in for the summer, not hard to pick one up for $1500-2000 for an NA around here.
Yes its a hard one :?

I could go 2 DC 9" warps and a solution 1000 Amp controller for less than $10,000

Does anyone know the output HP and torque of these ????


Cheers Kiwi

User avatar
Cowardlyduck
10 MW
10 MW
Posts: 2381
Joined: Jun 26, 2011 8:41 pm
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia

Re: KiwiEVs next project fast EV

Post by Cowardlyduck » Nov 10, 2015 8:31 pm

kiwiev wrote:Does anyone know the output HP and torque of these ????
It's in the link:
http://www.evsource.com/tls_warp9.php
According to that, one Warp9 will do 80.4NM at 300A and 321NM at 1000A, so you could expect around the same for 2 of them at 500A each, but that raises the question...if one Warp 9 can handle 1000A (or even 1400A according to the link above) why bother with 2?
And further to that, 2X Warp 9's at 65Kg each is 130Kg...but a single Warp 11 is only 106Kg, so IMO that would be the better choice.
Also, if you wanted some serious, ripping your face off performance, check out the new Warp 13...you would need some seriously fat sticky tires to put that kind of power down though and I'm not sure the stock frames of a Porsche or even an Audi could handle it.

Cheers
High Power LiPo wiring harnesses - 4P - XT90, HXT4mm, 5.5mm. 200Amp+ capable. Global shipping.

Modified Stealth Fighter - Force air cooled Leaf motor @ 6KW, Heat-sinked Adaptto Mini-E. Battery = 49AH, 14S (51.1V) Sanyo 18650GA - 2.5Kwhr = 200km range!
Cowardlyducks - Stealth Fighter Videos

BikeE recumbent - Golden motor, 6Fet Grinfineon, internal 17AH, 14S Sanyo 18650GA, + on-board solar.

The stuff I make and modify.

Post Reply