Nissan Leaf Motor test with DIY controller

Electric cars, trucks, ATVs, NEVs - things bigger than a motorcycle.
User avatar
Arlo1
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 8535
Joined: Apr 26, 2009 10:36 pm
Location: Nanaimo BC Canada
Contact:

Re: Nissan Leaf Motor test with DIY controller

Post by Arlo1 » Nov 10, 2016 2:47 pm

MPaulHolmes wrote:Disclaimer: This go-kart is not done! And my son and I only went like 5 mph, so chill! haha. Anyway, Here's a first very basic test with a Nissan leaf go kart:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FUEo_TXSDg
That kart is useless to show off the power of the leaf motor...

Are you planning another chassis?

Did you see my progress? I am just finishing up the 30.5kwh (usable energy) pack for mine but with only 130 kw available from the battery I was destroying tires with 2 decent street tires on the street.
My Leaf motor controller build. viewtopic.php?f=30&t=63982&p=963227#p963227
My YSR build http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRo8r5g4NBg
RC and most types of Lithium batteries you MUST know your individual cell voltages charging and discharging.
Don't keep them were you cant afford smoke or fire!
Never above 4.2v never below 2.7v EVER!!!
HI power controller design. Game Changer
http://www.undergroundelectrics.ca/

MPaulHolmes
10 mW
10 mW
Posts: 24
Joined: Jan 16, 2016 10:42 am

Re: Nissan Leaf Motor test with DIY controller

Post by MPaulHolmes » Nov 11, 2016 11:38 am

I'm not trying to show off the nissan leaf power. I would stick it in a car at 400v if I was doing that. This is to do some field weakening and saliency software tests under load. Everything on that except for the wheels was left in the neighbors yard when they moved away, by the way. I didnt make that chassis. One goal was to keep top speed as low as possible.

MPaulHolmes
10 mW
10 mW
Posts: 24
Joined: Jan 16, 2016 10:42 am

Re: Nissan Leaf Motor test with DIY controller

Post by MPaulHolmes » Nov 12, 2016 9:17 pm

Here's a forward/reverse/brake all in one throttle demo, and an acceleration test at max throttle = 75amp.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_97xBLvRdcw

MPaulHolmes
10 mW
10 mW
Posts: 24
Joined: Jan 16, 2016 10:42 am

Re: Nissan Leaf Motor test with DIY controller

Post by MPaulHolmes » Dec 09, 2016 9:16 pm

Here's another video. This time, I modified the MPPT charger from the Solar Panels so the go kart can charge at about 5.6kW (in the summer), and probably around 4kW in the winter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxp8kX_golA

mastermechanic5
100 µW
100 µW
Posts: 9
Joined: Sep 22, 2017 7:32 am

Re: Nissan Leaf Motor test with DIY controller

Post by mastermechanic5 » Sep 22, 2017 10:33 am

Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum. I'm planning on swapping a leaf motor in my 240sx this winter. I'm hoping to run the max power that the leaf motor is capable of using MPaul's control board. What do you think about running two of the 600A Powerex Igbt's in parallel? What other limitations do you think I might run into running over 200kw with your controller design?

Thanks,
Tom

SlowCo
10 kW
10 kW
Posts: 635
Joined: Jan 05, 2015 5:43 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Nissan Leaf Motor test with DIY controller

Post by SlowCo » Sep 22, 2017 11:25 am

mastermechanic5 wrote:Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum. I'm planning on swapping a leaf motor in my 240sx this winter. I'm hoping to run the max power that the leaf motor is capable of using MPaul's control board. What do you think about running two of the 600A Powerex Igbt's in parallel? What other limitations do you think I might run into running over 200kw with your controller design?

Thanks,
Tom
Read through Arlo's thread also for extra info of his Honda CRX with Nissan Leaf drive train and >300hp:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 30&t=63982
He has documented his build very well and a lot of information will be applicable to your project.

User avatar
Arlo1
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 8535
Joined: Apr 26, 2009 10:36 pm
Location: Nanaimo BC Canada
Contact:

Re: Nissan Leaf Motor test with DIY controller

Post by Arlo1 » Sep 22, 2017 12:37 pm

SlowCo wrote:
mastermechanic5 wrote:Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum. I'm planning on swapping a leaf motor in my 240sx this winter. I'm hoping to run the max power that the leaf motor is capable of using MPaul's control board. What do you think about running two of the 600A Powerex Igbt's in parallel? What other limitations do you think I might run into running over 200kw with your controller design?

Thanks,
Tom
Read through Arlo's thread also for extra info of his Honda CRX with Nissan Leaf drive train and >300hp:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 30&t=63982
He has documented his build very well and a lot of information will be applicable to your project.
Thanks SlowCo,

Tom you are much MUCH better off to use motor power dense parts rather then 2 in parallel. It keeps circuit inductance lower allowing you to reach your power goals much easier.

I use 800a (at 80 deg C) and 1200v rated parts. You will need 1200v parts if you want to make any big power as they see quite large switching spikes at turn off. Also I am running 112s one of the keys to making power with the leaf motor is feeding the power in at higher rpm this requires a stiff battery with as much voltage as you can safely use.
My Leaf motor controller build. viewtopic.php?f=30&t=63982&p=963227#p963227
My YSR build http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRo8r5g4NBg
RC and most types of Lithium batteries you MUST know your individual cell voltages charging and discharging.
Don't keep them were you cant afford smoke or fire!
Never above 4.2v never below 2.7v EVER!!!
HI power controller design. Game Changer
http://www.undergroundelectrics.ca/

mastermechanic5
100 µW
100 µW
Posts: 9
Joined: Sep 22, 2017 7:32 am

Re: Nissan Leaf Motor test with DIY controller

Post by mastermechanic5 » Sep 22, 2017 1:09 pm

Thanks Arlo and SlowCo,

I have been looking at Arlo's thread and there is a TON of good info there, I haven't gotten a chance to read it all yet. Why does your controller use 6 IGBTs rather than the 3 used in MPauls? I already have one of MPauls driver boards so I was going with his design. I will have to try to find a deal on some 800-1000 amp IGBTs. So far all of the 1000 amp IGBTs I've seen have been around $500 a piece, so I thought it might be more cost effective to parallel smaller ones. Right now I have 50 of these 18650 packs:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-LG-36V-4-4AH ... SwuspY9YNZ

I might buy some more of those, or build a pack with some nano tech lipos since some of them supposedly have a 100c rating. But hobby lipos are very violent when they fail so I'd rather find another option for high discharge cells. Maybe some of the new 2170 cells when there available.

BTW thank you MPaul and Arlo for your controller designs and inspiration!
Last edited by mastermechanic5 on Sep 22, 2017 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Arlo1
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 8535
Joined: Apr 26, 2009 10:36 pm
Location: Nanaimo BC Canada
Contact:

Re: Nissan Leaf Motor test with DIY controller

Post by Arlo1 » Sep 22, 2017 1:54 pm

Be careful with cheep lipo. It will likely burn your house down. You can make race cars with it just be VERY careful.

My 800a IGBTs are 1 switch IE 1 is low side 1 is high side and you have 3 phases which means you need 6 switches or a multiple of 6.
With pauls design he uses IGBTs with 2 switches inside 1 housing. But because they are about the same size as my single switch units they are about 1/2 the power.

If you want to parallel them you will have great problems with getting the layout to work properly to make them switch current evenly.

There is a lot to learn about this. Diving in is fun but you can waste money fast. My design is only to work with and tuned for 2 IGBT part numbers.
1MBI800U4B-120 AND 1MBI600U4B-120

good luck.
My Leaf motor controller build. viewtopic.php?f=30&t=63982&p=963227#p963227
My YSR build http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRo8r5g4NBg
RC and most types of Lithium batteries you MUST know your individual cell voltages charging and discharging.
Don't keep them were you cant afford smoke or fire!
Never above 4.2v never below 2.7v EVER!!!
HI power controller design. Game Changer
http://www.undergroundelectrics.ca/

mastermechanic5
100 µW
100 µW
Posts: 9
Joined: Sep 22, 2017 7:32 am

Re: Nissan Leaf Motor test with DIY controller

Post by mastermechanic5 » Sep 22, 2017 9:47 pm

I am aware of the dangers of lipo batteries, I would need to be very cautious if I went that route.

I see why your using 6 IGBT modules instead of 3 now. Since paralleling isn't a good idea and the double transistor modules are half the power maybe I ought to run 6 single transistor modules like your design. I'd imagine 6 modules would disperse heat better as well.

Thanks Arlo for the info :D

User avatar
Arlo1
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 8535
Joined: Apr 26, 2009 10:36 pm
Location: Nanaimo BC Canada
Contact:

Re: Nissan Leaf Motor test with DIY controller

Post by Arlo1 » Sep 22, 2017 10:08 pm

mastermechanic5 wrote:I am aware of the dangers of lipo batteries, I would need to be very cautious if I went that route.

I see why your using 6 IGBT modules instead of 3 now. Since paralleling isn't a good idea and the double transistor modules are half the power maybe I ought to run 6 single transistor modules like your design. I'd imagine 6 modules would disperse heat better as well.

Thanks Arlo for the info :D
I also have a new thread to start soon. I have some 1400amp dual IGBTs to start a new build.
My Leaf motor controller build. viewtopic.php?f=30&t=63982&p=963227#p963227
My YSR build http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRo8r5g4NBg
RC and most types of Lithium batteries you MUST know your individual cell voltages charging and discharging.
Don't keep them were you cant afford smoke or fire!
Never above 4.2v never below 2.7v EVER!!!
HI power controller design. Game Changer
http://www.undergroundelectrics.ca/

mastermechanic5
100 µW
100 µW
Posts: 9
Joined: Sep 22, 2017 7:32 am

Re: Nissan Leaf Motor test with DIY controller

Post by mastermechanic5 » Sep 22, 2017 10:41 pm

Would you be using 3 of double IGBTs? Wouldn't that be less power than your 6 800 amp singles? What about the game changer controller? You had talked about swapping the FETs a for IGBTs in your thread for a HV design. Are you building your next controller with large format IGBTs to get it up and running more quickly?

User avatar
Arlo1
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 8535
Joined: Apr 26, 2009 10:36 pm
Location: Nanaimo BC Canada
Contact:

Re: Nissan Leaf Motor test with DIY controller

Post by Arlo1 » Sep 22, 2017 11:45 pm

I had some big modules donated to the cause. Was not the plan but they are bad ass. Remember 1400a and 1200v. If you use 600v parts you are stuck with a much lower voltage limit.
My Leaf motor controller build. viewtopic.php?f=30&t=63982&p=963227#p963227
My YSR build http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRo8r5g4NBg
RC and most types of Lithium batteries you MUST know your individual cell voltages charging and discharging.
Don't keep them were you cant afford smoke or fire!
Never above 4.2v never below 2.7v EVER!!!
HI power controller design. Game Changer
http://www.undergroundelectrics.ca/

mastermechanic5
100 µW
100 µW
Posts: 9
Joined: Sep 22, 2017 7:32 am

Re: Nissan Leaf Motor test with DIY controller

Post by mastermechanic5 » Sep 23, 2017 10:50 am

Arlo1 wrote: My 800a IGBTs are 1 switch IE 1 is low side 1 is high side and you have 3 phases which means you need 6 switches or a multiple of 6.
With pauls design he uses IGBTs with 2 switches inside 1 housing. But because they are about the same size as my single switch units they are about 1/2 the power.
I think might have misunderstood you in this post then. Your saying the IGBTs MPauls using are about half the power because there half the voltage, not because they have two transistors per module? I was interpreting it as that the way the manufactures rate them they add the capacity of the two transistors together for the current rating, rather then that each transistor in the module can each handle the rated current.

User avatar
Arlo1
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 8535
Joined: Apr 26, 2009 10:36 pm
Location: Nanaimo BC Canada
Contact:

Re: Nissan Leaf Motor test with DIY controller

Post by Arlo1 » Sep 23, 2017 10:55 am

mastermechanic5 wrote:
Arlo1 wrote: My 800a IGBTs are 1 switch IE 1 is low side 1 is high side and you have 3 phases which means you need 6 switches or a multiple of 6.
With pauls design he uses IGBTs with 2 switches inside 1 housing. But because they are about the same size as my single switch units they are about 1/2 the power.
I think might have misunderstood you in this post then. Your saying the IGBTs MPauls using are about half the power because there half the voltage, not because they have two transistors per module? I was interpreting it as that the way the manufactures rate them they add the capacity of the two transistors together for the current rating, rather then that each transistor in the module can each handle the rated current.
Likely less then 1/2 the power because of current and voltage limits both being lower.
My Leaf motor controller build. viewtopic.php?f=30&t=63982&p=963227#p963227
My YSR build http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRo8r5g4NBg
RC and most types of Lithium batteries you MUST know your individual cell voltages charging and discharging.
Don't keep them were you cant afford smoke or fire!
Never above 4.2v never below 2.7v EVER!!!
HI power controller design. Game Changer
http://www.undergroundelectrics.ca/

mastermechanic5
100 µW
100 µW
Posts: 9
Joined: Sep 22, 2017 7:32 am

Re: Nissan Leaf Motor test with DIY controller

Post by mastermechanic5 » Sep 23, 2017 1:16 pm

I found some Infineon FF1400R12IP4 modules on eBay, would these work?

Here's a datasheet:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... XIFjoiZvXA

User avatar
Arlo1
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 8535
Joined: Apr 26, 2009 10:36 pm
Location: Nanaimo BC Canada
Contact:

Re: Nissan Leaf Motor test with DIY controller

Post by Arlo1 » Sep 23, 2017 1:37 pm

mastermechanic5 wrote:I found some Infineon FF1400R12IP4 modules on eBay, would these work?

Here's a datasheet:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... XIFjoiZvXA
I think its time you start your own thread. Lets not mess up Pauls thread anymore.

Sorry Paul.

Also I have been burned MANY MANY times with counterfeit EBAY parts. In fact it ended up being cheaper to get NEW OEM parts then all the money wasted on Ebay fake parts. I would not waste you time with ebay. This is not something that will be cheep. Remember what paul and I have designed is tuned to a specific part and when you try something else with a different rating and or a different layout all the "tuning" goes out the window.

If I had to guess this will take you 1-3 years of buying and wrecking stuff or 1-3 years of reading and understanding to learn how to make your own...
Otherwise you can copy what is already working from someone else.
My Leaf motor controller build. viewtopic.php?f=30&t=63982&p=963227#p963227
My YSR build http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRo8r5g4NBg
RC and most types of Lithium batteries you MUST know your individual cell voltages charging and discharging.
Don't keep them were you cant afford smoke or fire!
Never above 4.2v never below 2.7v EVER!!!
HI power controller design. Game Changer
http://www.undergroundelectrics.ca/

mastermechanic5
100 µW
100 µW
Posts: 9
Joined: Sep 22, 2017 7:32 am

Re: Nissan Leaf Motor test with DIY controller

Post by mastermechanic5 » Sep 24, 2017 10:27 am

Yeah I should, sorry Paul I didn't mean for this to turn into a lengthy discussion on your thread.

I was looking at surplus parts on ebay, but maybe its best that I avoid ebay. I know that its not going to be cheap or easy. I'll have to keep on doing research and experimenting. Hopefully with enough dedication I can achieve my goals.

Thanks again for you help

Post Reply