Aussie EV Autocross Special

Electric cars, trucks, ATVs, NEVs - things bigger than a motorcycle.
galderdi   1 kW

1 kW

Re: Aussie EV Autocross Special

Post by galderdi » May 25 2017 9:24pm

Agreed, gear changes are an issue. As usual though I am constrained by parts that I can scrounge.

As for the clunking, I have checked the videos (this time with the volumn up) and it is definately the suspension moaning. This is because most of the suspension components aren't running bushings. It groans and moans on anything but the smoothest surface. The driveline only has the standard whir of the motor fan.

Hillhater   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Hillhater » May 26 2017 2:02am

kiwiev wrote:Just another thought for your next car is gear changes the reason Tesla is the fastest acceleration car is no gear changes and good constant torque. ..
Yes 1000+ Nm of Steady torque at the motor, a 9.7:1 reduction transmission, ( so near to 10,000Nm at the wheels!)....and a motor that will run up to 18,000 rpm. will all add up to decent accelleration ! :wink:
This forum owes its existence to Justin of ebikes.ca

galderdi   1 kW

1 kW

Post by galderdi » Jun 06 2017 1:34am

My next event is a motorkhana and is coming up soon. It will be held at Willowbank on June 18. IF anyone is local feel free to come and take a look. Spectators are free. I'll post another update after the event.

galderdi   1 kW

1 kW

Post by galderdi » Aug 06 2017 9:45pm

I had another competition day yesterday. I was competing in round 4 of the Queensland Motorkhana Championship.
Runs 3,5 & 7 are terrible, My fault not the car. But those 3 out of 12 runs were enough to ruin my chances for the day. I finished mid field.

galderdi   1 kW

1 kW

Post by galderdi » Aug 14 2017 9:32pm

My next event is a Khanacross on Aug 27. This one is being hosted by the Lotus club so there should be some interesting scalps to claim. It is to be run on the small circuit at the back of Lakeside and should suit my car. I am really looking forward to it.

galderdi   1 kW

1 kW

Post by galderdi » Aug 27 2017 10:28pm

I had a ball at the Lotus Khanacross at lakeside. The track is quite tricky with a couple of blind corners. It really would help to have track time on this one. My first few runs were average at best but I did improve on my last few runs. I really struggled due to rear end grip. You know it’s bad when you are over steering in a front wheel drive car. I managed to come 34th from 66 competitors. That’s not bad considering the quality of the field. I beat 6 out of 13 Lotuses and 9 out of 16 Porsches. If I wasn’t retiring the car I could put better tyres on the rear and improve the rear geometry and I would be confident of picking up quite a few places. Overall I am quite happy.

I had a problem with my camera and only got 1 video with telemetry. It’s not the fastest run and watch for the plover at about 1:22

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXhOVGg55hI

galderdi   1 kW

1 kW

Post by galderdi » Sep 11 2017 10:09pm

I had a great event on Sunday.

For a while the results were up in the air.....quite literally. We had a mini tornado which flattened our timing tents and associated equipment. The timing tents were thrown about despite being weighed down with concrete blocks. Our volunteers conducting the timing were shaken but unhurt. When I first looked over to understand the cause of the commotion I first thought a wayward car had somehow bowled over the time keepers. I am so glad that was not the case. A handful of timing result sheets were sucked up into the vortex and continued to rise almost straight up until they eventually reached sufficient height to become too distant to view.

But now the results are up in the cloud. So I can confirm I managed 6th place outright. That isn’t too bad, as usual one particular test cost me quite dearly but overall I think that only cost me one place realistically. Looking at the times I am confident all the improvements going into the new car will have me competitive against the guys at the top. I don’t expect to be consistently quicker than them as they will still have a significant size advantage. But I will be closing that gap to some degree and I will have other advantages that will somewhat compensate for the rest of the gap.

Here are a handful of videos from the day:
https://youtu.be/0WW2Wu9H7eA
https://youtu.be/lU-Li3Wa-Mo
https://youtu.be/U6m5F40kJJU
https://youtu.be/_Sh8p1PlSPs
https://youtu.be/LZOc9XA-aSQ
https://youtu.be/PXTGIv1CNE8

galderdi   1 kW

1 kW

Post by galderdi » Jan 09 2018 5:50pm

Here are the pics of my latest project. It is similar to my last one but incorporating a lot of learnings from last time.

I expect it to be about 20% lighter. Plus it is rear wheel drive, narrower, better suspension design, better aero etc etc.

I still have a fair amount of work to complete it and the deadline is looming on Feb 11. I'll provide another update soon.
20180107_145503_resized a.jpg
20180107_145416_resized a.jpg
20180107_145354_resized a.jpg
20180107_145315_resized a.jpg

jonescg   1 GW

1 GW

Post by jonescg » Jan 09 2018 11:39pm

Looks sick! What components are you looking to use?

galderdi   1 kW

1 kW

Post by galderdi » Jan 09 2018 11:59pm

Thanks. I am fairly happy so far.

I will be transferring the components from my previous car.

The gearbox is from a nissan N13 Pulsar.
The motor is an advanced DC 8inch.
Controller is a ZEVA 1000 amp.
Batteries are a 144V nominal portion from a Chev Volt.

These components worked exceptionally well in the old car. But I was losing the torque advantage through wheel spin because it was FWD. Plus this car is likely to be around 20% lighter than the old one. Being narrower will make it quicker through slaloms and the like and I expect the improved aero will improve response from about 70kmph (40mph) - 100kmph (60mph).
The improved suspension geometry should result in an ability to hold more speed through the corners.
The improved steering rate should result in better ability through tight corners plus less distraction for the driver (me) frantically turning the wheel from lock to lock.

I have also added passive rear steer. This will be turned to subtly turn the rear end around tight corners. I will tune it to neutral for faster courses.

All in all it should be a very satisfying car to drive. I am getting really excited to give it a whirl.

galderdi   1 kW

1 kW

Post by galderdi » Jan 28 2018 10:21pm

Here are a couple of the latest pics of my new car. I have encountered soem delays on the steering components. We'll see how it goes over the next couple of weeks.
Attachments
20180128_172506_resized.jpg
20180128_172549_resized.jpg

galderdi   1 kW

1 kW

Post by galderdi » Feb 27 2018 1:49am

I got the car running last night. This is a huge releif as it means I am fairly certain of competing in the event this Sunday. I do still have a few things to do but they are fairly minor.

I also weighed the car (As best I can). The car came in at 480Kg with weight distribution of about 44/56 toward the back which isn't too bad.

The first drive felt very good. I think it has promise. I just need to do a wheel alignment, brake bleed and some minor additions to be ready for Sunday. I should have some good videos early next week.