Electric acceleration kit?

Iguess

1 µW
Hello,
I was happy to discover the new improved electric bikes. I do offroading and camping with my car and will buy one just to investigate the area where we camp.

But I am thinking why not have a similar system - but for my car.
The issue is that my off road car is slow on accelerating on motorway when I want to overtake another vehicle.
So I am thinking to buy or build an electric kit to help me accelerate.
It will also be useful for fuel consumption and good for the main engine.
The idea is to recharge the bateries while driving without accelerating and then use the electric motors to help me accelerate - so using the fuel more efficiently - accelerating a petrol engine - consumes much more fuel.

The requirements would be:
I am thinking there should more electric motors - so they are long but with a small diameter - the whole thing will go beneath the car.
I am thinking one motor for 10kw and have maybe 3 of them.
The batter should not be very large - the idea is not to store electricity for increasing range but for using the motors for acceleration.
The motors will all spin a chain and a wheel which I will weld on the drive shaft.
It will also need gears to match the cars speeds - so 6 electric speeds for a 6 speed car.
The system should have some electronics - sensors to detect cars gears, disconect when braking and display battery stats and a sensor for acceleration pedal.

What do you guys thing? is this complicated to build?
Any idea where can I ask for such a system? Maye is somebody making custom ones?
Do you think this will sell? because if there is a market then they will build it.
If not then I am hoping to see this in a few years because I like my car - i dont want to change it

pusher-trailer.jpg

First, for the time being , put the word "Kit" out of your head, you'll have to design and build your own. No Plug and play.

Not the casual weekend afternoon job. The easiest way I can think of is the electric pusher trailer. The harder you're willing to work on it, the better it can end up looking.

pttrailer3resample.jpg

As for what it looks like when you're done, there's good enough, then there's just plain kewl.

753a.jpg

Welcome to the forum. Be warned, we don't sugar coat our answers.
Complicated, yes. and problematic. If you're not using regen, then you would need a very big battery to get much use out of them. But if you're not using regen, you're throwing away most of the potential of the system, and making it more complicated, not less.

Smaller motors with chains connecting them, and multiple controllers powering them would be less efficient than a single motor . Since you would also have more weight in the gearing, chain, mounts, and motor housings, it would weigh more for the same power output as a single motor.
You don't need multiple speed gearing for electric motors. You might or might not need a single stage gearing. adding gearing just adds weight, complications, and inefficiencies.
Having the motors totally disengage from the drive would need some sort of clutch at these power levels. the clutch would need to be able to handle the full torque of the motor. since an electric motor makes huge torque, expect the clutch to be huge and heavy and complex to build.

How complicated depends on your skill levels at fabricating new things that have never existed before. I've built bikes, motorcycles, a garage full of crazy inventions, and even my own car. I would still consider your idea as presented to be very complicated.

Back