Arcimoto SRK Test Drive Impressions

gelroos

1 mW
So, yesterday, Arcimoto was in Venice Beach with the Blue 8th Gen model of their SRK. I got to spend about 20 minutes in it driving, on surface streets at speeds up to 50 mph. First impressions. Uff, this actually LOOKS like the pics in person. I understand the design motif isn't for everyone, it does have a bit of a "techie" or "geek" vibe, but it works with the unconventional appearance of the 3 wheeled vehicle. Mark was in front driving for the first 3 minutes or so, then pulled over and swapped out seats. Both seats have a (3+2) harness that buckles near the waist at both sides. The battery box is on the floor and the rise for it isn't that high, but may cause issues with shorter people getting onto the back. The console is spartan, which personally like. The color, fidelity and contrast of the screen are tremendous, both in and out of direct sunlight. Controls are simple and almost identical to a motorcycle setup, with the addition of a Forward/Reverse switch on the right side. Two bluetooth speakers and a cup holder round things out.

Everyone can check the tech specs themselves, but to me the two most impressive things are that is was DETUNED by about 30 percent and still was a blast, as well as the sheer stability when driving around. I was going around corners fast enough to spin tires (Traction control is not installed yet) and the damn things was still planted flat. It FELT safe, even when at 50. I yammered on about some of the iterative engineering touches and such, then touched on the little things they did to make the accel and regen more palatable to general buyers (regen is rapidly progressive, and just feels right when using it) and the accel is detuned from a stop so you don't get whiplash. Seats are comfy, can easily see doing an hour or so ride in this, no problem.

Got back and summed it up by saying "It met my expectations exactly, which means its awesome"

Woke up this morning and realized the Mark driving was Mark Frohnmayer, the founder and guy who has done a massive chunk of this work. Mark was also the lead programmer of my favorite game of all time, Tribes, so... I am kinda glad I didn't know it was him, or I would have been all "fan-boi'd" out. Immensely happy with the demo version, cannot wait to get mine in about a year or so.

These guys have come a long ways with that design. I was going to intern there but never got a call back or anything... even though I was offering my services for free. Oh well... I can't wait to see what happens when they go into production though.

https://electrek.co/2017/01/05/acrimoto-srk-all-electric-three-wheeler/
The Arcimoto SRK, an all-electric three-wheeler, has been almost 10 years in the making. The Oregon-based startup started working on the concept in 2007 and they now have the 8th generation of the vehicle.

President and Founder of Arcimoto, Mark Frohnmayer, told Electrek this week that the company is getting ready to bring the SRK to market this year.y

The vehicle has some impressive specs for a three-wheeler and it’s certainly no golf cart:

Acceleration: 0-60 in 7.5 s
Top Speed: 80 mph
Turning Circle: 26 feet
Range (12 kWh pack): 70 mi
Range (20 kWh pack): 130 mi
Power Plant (kW): Dual 25 kW
Power Plant (HP): 67 HP

But the most impressive spec is its efficiency. Arcimoto claims an equivalent fuel consumption of 230 MPG.

The base price is $12,000 for the 12 kWh model, but since it’s considered a motorcycle, it qualifies for electric motorcycle incentives. Depending on where you are located, it can bring down the price to less than $10,000.

Over 1,100 people have already placed reservations with a $100 deposit.

They could still have to wait for a little while since even though Arcrimoto aims to start production this year, it only plans to produce about 100 units.

dsc00809

Back