Semi hybrid system

Skrzypas

10 W
Hi guys,

I can't find any information on such a system:

What about separation of the electric system from the engine in a regular petrol car.

Description in points:
1. Remove the belt from the alternator.
2. Add a pretty large Li-ion pack, 4S at least (CA. 14V)
3. start engine from the standard lead-acid battery.
4. Power everything else from Li-ion.
5. (optional) change alternator to an electric motor of similar size to drive the air condition belt (also from li-ion)

I wonder if such a system would allow saving some gas. I think the battery must be capable of doing ca. 1000 km, or the alternator should be mechanically / electrically connectable to recharge the battery in case someone forgets to charge at home. What do you think? Someone tried it?

Thank you, actually I drive a Mazda :)

Will try to take their idea into account and maybe develop an easy conversion kit if my preliminary tests succeed.

Last I heard, a/c was 10% of fuel used, so in this context, it certainly seems the low hanging fruit for easy gas savings in hot climates.

Simply have a plug in pak sufficient to power a/c for your typical journeys.

Dunno, but some new a/cS may be electric anyway.

I have long thought a great app for regen, is refrigerated trucks - mechanical regen. They mostly have separate ice motors for refrigeration, running hard, certainly with stop start food deliveries to shops etc.

If load temp can vary within certain ranges, then large bursts of regen power can be absorbed by a suitably powerful compressor, so long as the ~frozen goods dont get too hot or cold for too long.

Making the load cooler than need be, is equivalent to charging a zero net weight, very large battery. It delays any need for the ice compressor motor to kick in.

Maybe a modified truck PTO unit as a mechanical link from wheels to a compressor?

Similarly, but to a lesser extent, a/c passenger trains and buses would save fuel very simply, by partly using regen for a/c. Urban ones happily stop a lot, AND open their doors a lot to warm air. Perfect.

Unlike electric regen, excess regen power can easily be shed

Back