Alternative battery setup from donor/salavage electric cars

zippy500

1 mW
I was just looking at the alternative battery setup from donor electric cars, which car battery packs are the best for capacity, I would take the pack apart to create my voltage/Ah setup.

Looking to run the ac-50 90v setup.

as Im in the UK the only real common salvage parts are from the Prius and a few Lexus,Ive only seen one leaf pack for sale and thats £4000. I get the impression that these donor pack dont have the Ah capacity that stand alone EV cars need..someone please prove me wrong.

would one these packs be enough to power a car for about 50mile range

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXUS-RX-RX450-RX450H-HYBRID-2014-COMPLETED-BATTERY-PACK-ASSY-G9280-48040-GENUINE-/132131725998?hash=item1ec3aa22ae:g:bmsAAOSw6n5XrYKP
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-NX-Hybrid-Battery-Pack-Assy-G9280-48100-AZ10-300h-AWD-114Kw-2015-/262681641507?hash=item3d290bc223:g:VWsAAOSw4shYB0-r
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-CT-1-8-Hybrid-73kw-Battery-Unit-G9280-76011-A10-2014-/381938601591?hash=item58ed508e77:g:yJYAAOSwo4pYies8

I got into a discussion with a youtuber about making my own 18650s pack and says realisticly you need 7000plus cells as not to over stress them so have gone off that idea

Thanks

Renault and Ampera/Chevy Volt are sold in the UK, correct ? They have Lithium batteries. Just know how to treat them correctly.

I asked the seller of those leaf cells to part them out never got back to me, I even offered to strip the pack down for free.

50 miles range in a electric car is not that hard a task it's keeping the costs minimal and the end product reliable, Any other cell group than lithuim is going to be very heavy and will need extra energy to haul it's ass about, damn 50 miles get yourself a twizzy, cheap as chips now and cover the range you need.

Any reason it has to be a car need more input.

Yes I have 1973 BMW 2002 collecting dust in the garage, It will give my mojoback to get back into the resto project and make it electric too at the end so you can see why I dont want to spend £4000 on new batteries for it or go SLA. thats why a 50-60 mile should be plenty for me

Thinking of fitting the standard AC-50 with 90v 650amp controller

So would any of those ebay listings serve my purpose.

I see that Prius packs are very reasonable and plenty off them. would one pack be enough for my needs

which cars are fitted with Lithium batteries

I was going to going down the harvesting 2nd hand 18650s till some one told me that I would need 200 cells plus per pack and 30 packs 6000 cells!!!

It's a shame to take a classic and make it perform lesser but if it must be done I'd say the car is a good base to start with.

It's rwd and a transverse so the motor can sit low to the ground, but you can not take a fwd leaf and show horn it all in on custom drive shafts. I would say dig deep and search the globe for leaf cells it's what's going to make your build work on a budget the motor it's self sounds like you have it sorted

yes I can see on paper that the electric motor will be slower that the engine version, one vendors recommends that I got for AC-51 which has more torque, and the car will "feel faster" because the electric motor torque is instant rather than waiting engine to get upto the revs. Shame they dont make the AC-75 any more as it looked like a good option.

As for the batteries I just wanted a cheaper option, leaf packs are still quite expensive and rare and then they will still be 2nd hand with maybe a couple of defective cells in the pack.

If i am going to spend the 4000 id sooner get the new CALB 100ah battery, dont really want to go down that route yet

The calb cells are rated for 30amp nominal 200amp max, a 96v pack or 30s1p would still be around $2000 and would discharge between 3kw nominal and 19kw max bursts plus weigh a ton.

An old sevcon controller would be a good route being in UK there's a few people local who can program them, but getting any type of cells that light enough for a car and capable of discharging a decent amount of amp is going to be fairly costly without finding a gem or selling a kidney.

The ac50 is an induction motor, exciting itself both on the rotor and stator so for an EV a permenact magnet motor is more desirable due to being battery feed, it will be more efficent using less energy to excite the field for the same outcome.

A brushed forklift motor is still a decent motor really for ev compared to induction but alot of Improvments have been made so something permantly magnetic, brushless with better magnet material along with the controler needed to run it will be what make a massive change to the Wh per mile and then a decent battery along with it allows you to get the range.

Your car is awesome if it's a minter don't rush it wait some time and let current tech start failing and wrecks occurring and score yourself a bargain then make a one off.

Those Lexus hybrid packs are all NiMh cells with a very low total capacity of about 1.3 - 1.8 kWh and 200 or 288v , depending on the exact model.
So, basicly they wont get you far !.....You would need 10-15 of them to take you 50 miles ! (Thats why they are cheap )
Leaf cells modules, or Volt modules are the best option. Available from the US and folks have had them shipped internationally for reasonable cost if you cannot find them locally.

There is a company selling sinopoly 100ah lifep04 cells on ebay in the UK (called Indra), Bobc bought a load of the 40ah ones for an emax 110s scooter. I got lucky when buying some 26x 60ah old blue lifepo4 CALB for mine (of which I only currently use 16s) These are very similar prismatic jobs. anyway they go for £108 per cell on ebay, so £3000. but I think when you are buying that much you should be able to get a good discount. I am in no way connected with them.

Bobc has also got a good system for bottom balancing these (lifepo4) cells to protect them using dpdt relays controlled by Arduino on a custom pcb. when I go up to 26s and a new controller (Lebowski) it's what I hope to use.

Otherwise in your shoes id go with leaf cells as you will be able to replace them more easily when you get a dud. Good luck it seems you have your work cut out for you.

zippy500 said:
I was just looking at the alternative battery setup from donor electric cars, which car battery packs are the best for capacity, I would take the pack apart to create my voltage/Ah setup.

Thanks
Used oem lithium packs from wrecks are definitely the best deal. For more information check the links in my signature.

Back