Preppers talk electric cars...

LockH

1 PW
Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then sta
Learned a new word today. :) A "PREPPER". Looks like a blogger from Montreal that posts here:
http://preppermtl.com/

... and explains "prepper" is another word for preparing equipment and supplies to "bug-out" in case of some emergency/disaster...

Anyway. Username "PrepperMTL" just posted this question on the reddit site: Could an electric car potentially be a better long term prepper vehicle?:
https://www.reddit.com/r/preppers/comments/69uanm/could_an_electric_car_potentially_be_a_better/

As always, [C]omments there ... amusing. :)

If the apocalypse comes in the form of societal collapse and loss of gasoline supplies? Definitely.

If it comes in the form of an EMP? Definitely not.

Preppers sometimes talk about using Faraday cages to protect electronics from an EMP. It would be interesting to know how effective a large one would be in protecting an EV.

Anyways. In the event of world war 3 I want the EMP to destroy all electronics so the monitoring devices implanted in all our consumer electronics by the chinese and north koreans will stop working :) He he he

Dont forget the EMP will also fry the implants in our brains that let the various government agencies and corporations spy on and control us. ;)

ive actually been considering this alot, ive decided that burying an insulated shipping container and storing anything electrical i could see myself needing, such as a fridge, electric car, things like that, people dont realize how much we need electricity and the "comforts" it brings with it.

I think horse and buggy or just straight legging your bicycle around it is a "long term" prepper vehicle. I personally go through a Hobbyking lipo battery pack every two years or so and I don't really see myself making a home-made apocalyptic battery that's worth it's snuff.

That being said I always thought it would be cool to have your solar battery array attached to a vehicle, like a EV pickup truck with a bed full of battery with option to detach and go somewhere (essentially leaving your house unpowered at night)

Capture.PNG

So I wonder just how good a job of honoring warranties they'll be doing in some apocalypse. Which is not to say they won't, something like that won't be 'Mad Max' time in reality, we'll be a bit amazed. But people express amazement at how close things like banking and mercantile were to today's when things come up with it. Will your free replacement battery come, once you wait a bit?

Dauntless said:
So I wonder just how good a job of honoring warranties they'll be doing in some apocalypse. Which is not to say they won't, something like that won't be 'Mad Max' time in reality, we'll be a bit amazed. But people express amazement at how close things like banking and mercantile were to today's when things come up with it. Will your free replacement battery come, once you wait a bit?
I think the important takeaway is that they are willing to warranty it for so long because it's low risk for them - the batteries don't often fail. So even once the Zombie Apocalypse comes, you'll be able to make your getaway.

I had a 2005 Prius that I drove until this year; put 140,000 miles on it. No battery problems.

WTSHTF, (if it does) ebikes will be the best form of transportation. Cars, even electrics, require many things to work correctly for them to function well. And that includes the infrastructure that allows cars to operate. I imagine that when catastrophe hits, our roadways will be blocked with countless abandoned cars and nobody to remove them. The only way you're getting anywhere is if you can ride around them. Then, there's the energy requirements. You're going to want to save all your electricity for other things, like lights, refrigeration, and security/comfort items. Using all your juice to power a car with a shell to protect you from other non-existent traffic will prove wasteful. You won't be traveling long distances or at high speeds, so cars will be much less useful to you. The ebike, being simple and efficient on energy will be the workhorse of the post-apocalypse.

Back