May the Gods bless the Clueless...

LockH

1 PW
Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then sta
What is it that you feel is "clueless" about that situation Lock ?
The fact that BMW would use false data for its sales spin,..
...or the $970 month lease cost ?
I agree he could have tested the range claim before buying, but the lease cost is typical of that vehicle...extortionate !

^^ Hehe... He actually BELIEVED watt the manufacturer claimed re range per charge. (As tested going around and around... slowly... on the Nürburgring in Germany. On a windless day. With no traffic.)

:roll:

This makes me wonder:
1) Are there standard ways to calculate the range (like there are for ICE fuel economy)?
2) Shouldn't there also be a standard for the projected range at a certain age? (They shouldn't be quoting the range as new because it will drop significantly in the first year or two. So the range may start off being suitable for a customer's requirements but may soon become unsuitable. I am thinking a projection at the 2 or 3 year mark would be more suitable)

galderdi said:
1) Are there standard ways to calculate the range (like there are for ICE fuel economy)?
Yes. In Europe the NEDC-standard is used, America uses the EPA-standard.

galderdi said:
2) Shouldn't there also be a standard for the projected range at a certain age? (They shouldn't be quoting the range as new because it will drop significantly in the first year or two. So the range may start off being suitable for a customer's requirements but may soon become unsuitable. I am thinking a projection at the 2 or 3 year mark would be more suitable)
There is no standard for this, but manufacturers will warranty the pattery pack for a certain %-capacity after a specified time/mileage. If I remember correctly BMW has a 3-year unlimited mileage/8-year 100k miles battery warranty at 70% capacity.

Back