Industrial Motor gokart build

Quinc

1 kW

Been tinkering with mini motos, mini bikes and razor dune buggies for the last couple years and wanted to get something a little more comfortable. I bought a Leeson motor off ebay for a great deal and after a year of searching I finally picked up a kart racing chassis for a decent price.

Plan:
48 volts
7200 rpms
10T drive sprocket
67T axle sprocket
#35 chain
11.5" tires

Goal:
Have fun and ride around neighborhood with kiddos

Motor:
Leeson
1HP
24vdc
3600 RPM
TEFC

Controller:
Kelly KDZ48400 24v-48v 400a controller

Batteries:
48v
Starting with SLA 12v 18AH. (I have a bunch of them from other projects, but might move on to lipo, leaf, or just larger sla's)

Kart:
Haase stage 2 (First time with a real gokart and learning as I go)

Last edited:
So far the kart is a little rough.. I took off the axle and cleaned it up added a sprocket hub and am now waiting on a new sprocket. And still need to figure out how to mount the seat. Once I have it how I like it, I will strip her back down and paint etc.

Tonight I started on building a bracket for the motor to attach behind the axle. My plan as of now is to put the batteries where the engine would normally go on the kart, and moving them however needed for balance and weight distribution. I am also trying to keep from welding or drilling the frame.

IMG_20171126_194059311.jpg
IMG_20171126_194114965.jpg

Kiddos' 4th bday was Saturday and also taking care of a 3m old so the build is starting off a little slow.

Ordered new rear axle bearings for her today and just got the cheapo 3pin Chinese foot throttle for it in the mail. Rather then "make" the foot throttle work I am going to go with a pull throttle.

Always a good sign when it comes new with rust.
yog6OIu.jpg

Not sure where the motor POS wire should go yet.
qlzEC9C.png

Kelly i bought off ebay mostly wired up:
0LZbGQ7.jpg

Test run this weekend! Did a quick hookup of the yi-yun 190amp controller and 4x18ah SLA batteries for 24v 36ah. Made it around the block 4 times and the engine was still ice cold. If I tried to go full throttle from a stop it would cut out. Going to try another 2x18ah batteries for 24v @ 54ah.

Doing some research and looks like I need 56ah SLA for 400amps, or I can run 16ah AGM battery for the same 400amps. Pretty interesting. So I might try 4x 35ah AGM batteries. Or if anyone has some electric car cells they want to make me a deal on. :)

b62gGn5.jpg

zN4IGuG.jpg

Px3hSIj.jpg

B21rL8Q.jpg

I assume you realise that the Haase chassis you are using is designed and set up for oval dirt track use.
I do not expect you intend to "race" the completed kart at all, but if you do i suggest you stick to LH oval tracks as you will find that fast RH corners will be a very tricky manouver. !
You could make some adjustments to the front end geometry and wheel hub location to minimise the corner bias, but you wont be able to achieve an even corner balance.
But have fun anyway...(dirt ovals can be a LOT of fun ! :wink:

Hillhater said:
I assume you realise that the Haase chassis you are using is designed and set up for oval dirt track use.
I do not expect you intend to "race" the completed kart at all, but if you do i suggest you stick to LH oval tracks as you will find that fast RH corners will be a very tricky manouver. !
You could make some adjustments to the front end geometry and wheel hub location to minimise the corner bias, but you wont be able to achieve an even corner balance.

This is just going to be used for chasing my kids around the neighborhood on there gokarts.(neighbors less likely to call police when you are quiet) If I was going to race I would be running a 2stroke. ;)

Hillhater said:

Well, got tired of only make left hand turns so I adjusted the front and rear wheels to line up more like a straight kart and I can now make RH turns fairly quick. :) Plan is to pick up some electric car batteries this weekend and to try her out at 44v+. Going to also pull the motor off and replace the 8ga wires with 0ga.

garolittle said:
Great project. Any updates?

Finally bit the bullet and bought 10x 4s 5ah 25-35c battery packs. (If anyone needs something from hk use HOBBYKING10 for 10% off)

Plan is to start out at 8s 25ah *4920 rpms and depending on results I will then try 12s 15ah 7380rpms and if things are not getting too hot I will go to 16s 10ah (9840rpms)

Before I do that though I need to solder 0awg wires to my motor (currently 8ga) and figure out what I am going to use for connectors on the batteries. Plan is to use 8ga between them and 0awg to the controller and motor.

How much did you pay for the racing go-kart frame? That looks great. I am searching for something similar myself. Any suggestions for a newbie?

garolittle said:
How much did you pay for the racing go-kart frame? That looks great. I am searching for something similar myself. Any suggestions for a newbie?

I paid 300$ for the kart with an extra set of new tires.
70$ for a new seat
15$ for a new sprocket
30$ for new bearings

For the best deals join any local karting facebook pages. Also try and get a race kart and not a oval kart.

Reading the motor nameplate:

RPM: 3600
HP: 1
SF: 1.00 = Motor can increase torque by 10% to handle increased loads
MAX. AMB: 40°C = Do not run the motor when the outside temp is above 40°C
VOLTS: 24vdc
AMPS: 41
DUTY: CONT = motor can run 24/7/365
FRAME: VS56C = See picture of motor mount
TORQUE: 17.5 in lbs = 1.45 foot pounds
ENCL: TEFC = Totally Enclosed, Fan-Cooled
TYPE: DF = Direct current Fan cooled
F.F: not sure
file.php

Yes, that why. I suppose it is 24V/41A=0.585Ohm motor, in dynamic state. At 43.2V/0.585Ohm=73.8A. And finally, 43.2Vx73.8A=3188W.
You certainly can throw all you wish at it, but need to raise the voltage correspondingly.

parabellum said:
Yes, that why. I suppose it is 24V/41A=0.585Ohm motor, in dynamic state. At 43.2V/0.585Ohm=73.8A. And finally, 43.2Vx73.8A=3188W.
You certainly can throw all you wish at it, but need to raise the voltage correspondingly.

I am not a rocket surgeon, but the way I understand it; the motor will pull as many amps as it needs/can to get up to speed. So running at 3600rpms and only needing 1hp it will pull 41A. However, if pulling my 220lb arse up a hill from a dead stop the motor will pull as many amps as it needs/can. And if it needs 200amps to do it it will pull the 200amps until either the motor fails or overheats etc.

Back