Jianshe 250 (Yamaha clone) ATV conversion

romelec

100 W
Hi,

I started to work on my ATV conversion about 4 years ago (with a lot of long pauses), finally last week I could do the first test:
[youtube]lP8QWucr_ps[/youtube]

The ATV is a Jianshe 250 bought about 10 years ago for 2000€

Motor: used ME1114 with regular hall sensor instead of the sin/cos, with a pulley and universal joint to the original transmission shaft
_DSCN3004.jpg

Controller: Sevcon gen 4 size 4 on ebay, with the old IXXAT interface (I don't sell it !)
Motenergy provided me a configuration file they use on a test bench, it was certainly not easy to make it working but I didn't had to modify the difficult settings such as the PI control loop parameters.

Batteries: 10Ah headway cells to form a 72V 60Ah pack
I have also 4 headway cells for the accessory battery and a 12v converter
_DSCN3412.JPG _DSCN3413.JPG

BMS: the last model from foundingpower bought before they stopped
_P1050834.jpg

Throttle: I used a thumb throttle modified with 3d printed parts to use a cable so I can keep the original thumb throttle
_P1050836.jpg

Everything fits very very tightly:
_DSCN3416.JPG _DSCN3417.JPG

The things to finish are mostly around the Sevcon programming:
- figure out how to have regen on throttle release
- add a brake lever for variable regen, I will use an hydraulic one with a pressure sensor
- eventually setup the 3 different profiles with different power / regen levels
- find how to link the BMS to the Sevcon

Awesome build sub’d

Always wanted a two wheel drive sports quad conversion myself, all time favorite quad is 1987 trx250x

Very tidy build!

The Headways will be fine in summer, but they will sag pretty bad in winter.

How far do you think you will get on a charge?

Thanks !

Yes I expected that for LiFePO4, but it's fine I won't use it a lot and almost never in winter because I will also be cold !

I have no idea for the range but 50km would be nice to have, I expect it to vary a lot depending on the terrain.

For winter you could add battery heaters, like the ones used on car-battery lead-acid stuff for more northerly areas. Or those under-tank reptile habitat heaters, like ZooMed makes--they're thin and flat and could be installed inside the battery compartment, then their cords connected together to a single 115vac plug. Leave them plugged in when you're charging, anytime you're not riding but might need to use it, and it'll be warm and ready to go without sag during the ride.

If the battery box is insulated on the outside, it'll keep the heat in, and should last thru it's whole capacity.

Great Job !!!
nice pictures !!!

Do you want to register it for street legal use or only offroad !?

Greetings from Austria to France

I wanted to add a heater, there is some insulation in the box (4mm cork) but I have found these tapes only in USA but the shipping to Europe is pretty expensive, about $50 :?
How much power is needed ?

Unfortunately it is impossible (or very expensive) to register converted vehicles in France, so I will keep it like that.

Look for 3D printer parts stores - some bed heaters for printers are paper thin.
12 VDC version are most common, 24VDC less common and 240VAC are rare. They come with thermistor attached and should have some kind of additional regulation or it will cook your battery.

https://www.robotdigg.com/product/877/200mm-or-250mm-kapton-film-flexible-heater

Sorry for the very very late answer, it costed about 4000€

It is now almost finished, I still have to tweak the controller to have more power at startup but that's all.
Maybe create different drive profiles as I have a switch wired but is is not really necessary.

The issue I had with the regen not working was because I didn't had a FS1 switch on the throttle, when I added it worked immediately.
For the variable regen I didn't use a brake lever but reused the choke lever used with the left thumb.

I plan to make a video presenting everything but don't know when I will have the time, maybe in July.

Attachments

• DSCN3454.JPG
    DSCN3454.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 7,649
  • DSCN3456.JPG
    DSCN3456.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 7,649
romelec said:
Sorry for the very very late answer, it costed about 4000€

It is now almost finished, I still have to tweak the controller to have more power at startup but that's all.
Maybe create different drive profiles as I have a switch wired but is is not really necessary.

The issue I had with the regen not working was because I didn't had a FS1 switch on the throttle, when I added it worked immediately.
For the variable regen I didn't use a brake lever but reused the choke lever used with the left thumb.

I plan to make a video presenting everything but don't know when I will have the time, maybe in July.

I appreciate the update!

Looks great, awesome job. I want one :D :D :D

It is not the presentation video but my first real trip with it (20km with +/- 600m in altitude), still nice I think !

[youtube]3xpU9T3UAw8[/youtube]

romelec said:
It is not the presentation video but my first real trip with it (20km with +/- 600m in altitude), still nice I think !

That thing is going pretty fast up the hill. Very impressive. 600m climb is good performance too.

One fun thing about electric rides is you can sneak up on wildlife. In my area there are lots of deer and coyotes. You would never see them with a gas powered ride.

Idling along slowly with the ATV doesn't seem to bother wildlife much, usually. At least with my ATV the exhaust is quiet and in the rear. The noise comes from the low pressure tires popping little rocks or crunching leaves on the ground, but that is pretty quiet too, depending on the leaves or whatever is underfoot. Wildlife often doesn't spook until you stop, or especially if you step away from the ATV. As long as you stay on it they seem to be, for the most part, unworried. However if it was quieter it might be even better. :)

No idea about wildlife, there isn't much around here (or I don't see them), but the MTB riders/hikers appreciate it !

The power above 10km/h is great but not under, it is difficult or even sometimes impossible to start uphill, I don't know why.
There must be some parameters to change but which ?

romelec said:
No idea about wildlife, there isn't much around here (or I don't see them), but the MTB riders/hikers appreciate it !

The power above 10km/h is great but not under, it is difficult or even sometimes impossible to start uphill, I don't know why.
There must be some parameters to change but which ?

you needs a different gear ratio! I believe most EVs is using a reduction gear

It has been a while, the ATV still works well.

I updated the pulley gearing from 1:2 to 1:2.54, there is no room to put a bigger pulley.
It has more torque but still not enough to start from a steep hill while it is loaded, but luckily I have a winch
IMG_20220723_113738.jpg
The ATV weights about 250kg, with me and the trailer it should be around 500kg.

I am tempted to get a bigger controller or maybe a geared QS motor, but since I only use it a few times a year it is not really worth it.

Back