Tesla PEM heat sink material required

x.l.r.8

100 W
Okay, I have a tesla roadster that has the well documented PEM failure
The answer seems to be replacement of the thermal layer under the IGBT's
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/roadster-pem-failure.88028/
But there is little conclusion as to what that may be.
I'm hoping the collective minds would have a good idea as to what would be a good replacement
Aluminium Nitrate is an expensive 'hope it works' material
Aluminium oxide seems way to brittle for long term results.
Paste seems to either crumble and loose its electrical conductive properties.
Any ideas??

x.l.r.8 said:
Okay, I have a tesla roadster that has the well documented PEM failure
The answer seems to be replacement of the thermal layer under the IGBT's
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/roadster-pem-failure.88028/
But there is little conclusion as to what that may be.
I'm hoping the collective minds would have a good idea as to what would be a good replacement
Aluminium Nitrate is an expensive 'hope it works' material
Aluminium oxide seems way to brittle for long term results.
Paste seems to either crumble and loose its electrical conductive properties.
Any ideas??

With no opinion on its suitability for your application, here is a product I've been considering for an entirely different purpose that might be suitable: Flexible Thermally Conductive Adhesive Electrically Insulating Epoxy Low Thermal Expansion ....

Please note: I highly recommend that you do your own research, perhaps contact the vendor and ask, and arrive at your own judgement as to suitability.

Is this an issue confined solely to the Roadster PEM for some unique combination of material and component choice ?
If it is common as it appears from that forum, I would have thought Tesla would be all over this with a upgrade program before they end up with a fleet of static cars !

The problem appears around 40,000 or 5 years. The answer is a remanufactured PEM at $10,000 that has a 3 year warranty. They simply replace the compound. The goal for them it seems is to get people to upgrade to the 3.0 battery pack with an upgraded PEM that uses better quality IGBT’s. If a solution can be found that is cost effective and lasts at least 3 years I would be more than happy to do it, but you seem to get one chance at repair, the solid plates allow the IGBT’s to short and then you need to start replacing them. The compound seems to not last very long causing a lot of heat damage. Something with the same thermal properties that is an elastic or a gel may do well. The better heat transfer the better for the components. There is enough problems keeping the exterior cooling system working without having to worry to much about the inside of it.

Back