QS 205 in 10 inch ATV rim

jaybee9

1 mW
I am looking to put QS 205 V3 55H motors in 10 inch ATV rims. QS recommends 12 in rims (probably for better airflow):
https://www.qsmotor.com/product/4000w-car-motor

However, the QS 205 fits in a 10 in rim with about 16 mm of clearance. I want to use a smaller rim and tire to maintain higher torque margin. If I go up to 12 in rim, the tires are a lot larger than I want.

I don't expect to be running the motor hard at low speeds for very long so I am thinking it could work. Has anyone done something similar? If so, did you you have any thermal or other issues? Any suggestions on things I might do to mitigate thermal concerns if I go this route?

Is it for a car or for a ATV? At 36 pounds a piece before rim and tire if its for off-road use you may want to consider a mid-drive system.

If its for a car they may work out well and it would be a great project to document here and show some pics!

skeetab5780 said:
Is it for a car or for a ATV? At 36 pounds a piece before rim and tire if its for off-road use you may want to consider a mid-drive system.
Yes, it is a bit heavy but for my purposes it is okay. But you do raise a good point and one additional benefit of staying smaller was to minimize additional weight.

Hmm... They have the same motor mated to a 10 inch scooter rim:
https://www.qsmotor.com/product/10inch-4000w-scooter-motor/

Why is 10 inch okay for scooter but recommend 12 inch for car?

jaybee9 said:
Hmm... They have the same motor mated to a 10 inch scooter rim:
https://www.qsmotor.com/product/10inch-4000w-scooter-motor/

Why is 10 inch okay for scooter but recommend 12 inch for car?

Because the steel scooter rim is welded onto the hub. The car hub motor has 4 bolt on the outer plate to mount a rim over the hub. If you can find a 10" steel ATV rim that can go over the car hub motor you can use that. I wouldn't try to weld that rim onto the hub as the heat could demagnetize the magnets inside. Instead remove the inner steel ring of the rim and (have someone) make a steel ring with the hole pattern of the 4 hub motor bolts and an outer diameter that matches the rim. Weld it as far to the outside of the rim as possible so the rim can go over the hub as much as possible. Maybe relocate the air nipple hole if needed. To stiffen up the rim fill the room between the rim and the hub on the axle side with pieces of rod.

And please keep this thread updated with your build project.

SlowCo said:
Because the steel scooter rim is welded onto the hub. The car hub motor has 4 bolt on the outer plate to mount a rim over the hub. If you can find a 10" steel ATV rim that can go over the car hub motor you can use that.

I was planning to put the motor inside the rim as shown below. Obviously, the fit would be tighter radially as they are probably showing a 12 inch rim.

ATTACH]

Will try to update at later date but just trying to make sure that the approach is sound before buying the motors, rims, and wheels.

Back