Drag 2WD ATV

QuebecoisSti

100 µW
Hello guys,

It's been a long time since I did not came back.

Here's what I wanted to convert first, some time ago...: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=76146

I've done a long pause but now I want to make this project come to life!

Finally, it ended up doing a drag 2wd ATV instead. It is based from a Yamaha Blaster chassis. I wish to make it work this summer.
20180403_070414.jpg

20180403_070423.jpg

20180403_070434.jpg

Actual specs:

Zilla Z1K-HV
Pimped DC motor coming from a forklift
CycleAnalyst HV option
Custom pack from Li-Po, 48s4p from 32x 6s1p RC style packs. They should be able to output around 100C.
Here's the schematic:
ElectricWiring.jpg

29983452_10155490079135208_4951642644558063667_o.jpg

29355277_10155490079140208_2771557388267204656_o.jpg

Right now, I am concerned about how to charge it:
First, I bought an adjustable DC power supply 0-150VDC/0-20A but since my pack configuration change, I can't use it now. However, the unit is stucked in Remote Mode and can't figure out how to switch to "manual mode"... I take a look in manual, look out for pins and fuse, can't see why it's staying in Remote.
SORENSEN-DCS-150-20E-B33-N1.jpg

The second idea I had was to hook every packs on a PowerLab 8x2 but since I can only do 12 at a time it is a little bit time consuming and packs would only be charge using balance connector which is slow.
27503645_10155343197660208_7632147954672172209_o.jpg

I had Y-harness on all packs balance connector, I tried to connect to the balance board but it seems he doesn't like it... got fuse blown and short circuit look alike... I don't understand why it happens, everything is in parallel in a Y-harness, right ?? It should work ??

I got help from DoctorBass, he suggest me to buy a charger (TC Charger or similar) that would be set it according to my pack but I may change the configuration later or do something else so I don't really want to speed a thousand $ or so on something that may not be usable after.

The other idea was to buy another adjustable DC power supply, something around 0-220VDC to be versatile. Or maybe hook up a smaller one (0-60VDC) to mine 0-150VDC but I read it's not really a good idea to put power supply in series...

I sent a couple e-mail to some companies (Batrium, LTW Battery, EV-propulsion, Elithion, Ewertenergy) about if they sell a BMS using Li-Po balance connector but most of them were not or it was way too costly. I had this "BMS" system I got when I had the Li-Po packs but it seems pretty shitty and doesn't look to work all packs connected together.
14524568_10154050211325208_1275821624912829785_o.jpg

In brief, TLDR:
- I wish to have a charger or a way to charge all 32packs at the same time with possibility to change parameter of charging if I change the pack configuration.

Thanks for your support,

QuebecoisSti said:
First, I bought an adjustable DC power supply 0-150VDC/0-20A but since my pack configuration change, I can't use it now. However, the unit is stucked in Remote Mode and can't figure out how to switch to "manual mode"... I take a look in manual, look out for pins and fuse, can't see why it's staying in Remote.
Depends on what unit it is. Can't see your pics (if you attach them to the post, then anyone that can see the post can see the pics).

If it's like the Sorensons I have here, they have a set of screw terminals in the back that you either run the remote controls to, or you jumper across them in specific ways to enable the front panel controls. To use the remote features you just use a potentiometer to vary an external voltage source into the terminals instead.

I had Y-harness on all packs balance connector, I tried to connect to the balance board but it seems he doesn't like it... got fuse blown and short circuit look alike... I don't understand why it happens, everything is in parallel in a Y-harness, right ?? It should work ??
If the packs are still hooked to each other in series, then hooking them in parallel shorts out all the cells and can cause a fire, or just damage the wiring in a way that could allow a later fire to happen.

but I read it's not really a good idea to put power supply in series...
As long as they're isolated (none of the input wires connect to the output wires) there's no problem with that.

The power supply is a Sorensen DCS 150-20. At the back, there's a few littles switches, one is R (remote) and Enable/Disable, it doesn't work. In the manual it's said to make a special connector with some pins jumped together, which I did, still not working. I even disassemble the unit to confirm JMP1 and JMP2 were set correctly (was hidden underneath boards in it), which was the case, see pic.

Capture.jpg

I think I just found why the balance connector goes short-circuit... bottom of page, last paragraphs (Connection warning tip):
https://www.rchelicopterfun.com/parallel-lipo-charging.html

There might be a way to charge everything up without disconnecting everything. ??

You could wire up the pack as two separate 24s blocks connected in series (48s) when you are running and parallel (24s) when charging. That way you can still use the power supply you already have. Just make 2 "Y" adapters - one for charging and 1 for running. I've done something similar on smaller scale with bikes - running 100v, charging at 50v.

Cool project, I look forward to seeing it progress!

Back