RPM HUD from KLS72501-8080IPS + ME1115

Cremora

1 µW
Hi Folks,

I'm midway through re-powering my garden gnome (Bolens 1250 tractor) with a KLS72501-8080IPS and Motenergy ME1115.
I have most things dry fitted and tested but I'd like to add an RPM gauge to the solution so that I can adjust on-the-go for optimal performance on the Eaton 11 hydrostatic transmission.

Does anyone have ideas on how to read the RPM data from these Kelly Controllers, specifically the KLS72501-8080IPS, and display either digitally or via analogue gauge? The model I have does have CAN, but I'm not sure if that's usable or not for the task.

Alternately, a cost conscious mechanical solution attached to the driveshaft might be feasible too.

Appreciate any feedback.
Thanks
-Rob

Dunno if the Kelly's canbus can output anything useful--you'd have to check with them about that.

Assuming it's a brushless setup, then you can tap off any one of the three hall sensors of the motor, to monitor it's RPM. This can be used with a frequency counter (some multimeters have this, or you can use (or build) a dedicated unit) to directly display the RPM, or you can run it to a speedometer (like a bike computer) if you want to display the speed in MPH/KPH/etc.

Back