Isetta-style Microlino electric bubble car

LockH

1 PW
Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then sta
Hehe... ESB "Search found 0 matches: Microlino"... :)

The Isetta-style Microlino electric bubble car surpasses 8,000 pre-orders:
https://electrek.co/2018/09/14/microlinos-electric-bubble-car-preorders/

microlino-bubble-car-header.jpg

:D

Gots yer vid on YT? Yup...
[youtube]-n-pzXefQW8[/youtube]

Article includes:
The little bubble car’s top speed is 90 km/h (56 mph) and range is estimated at 125-200 km (78-125 mi) with either an 8 kWh or 14.4 kWh lithium iron phosphate battery pack. Considering that the top speed places the Microlino more in the city-driving category, that range is likely plenty for most, even on the smaller battery pack.

Power is supplied by a 15 kW (20 hp) motor that provides 110 Nm (81 lb-ft) of torque. While acceleration won’t be quite like a Tesla, it can still provide a 0-50 km/h (32 mph) time of 5 seconds. Not thrilling, but good enough for city driving.

8) ES Stamp of Approval? (Hard to pedal?) :lol:

I think it's a lot closer to the future of urban transport than things like a Tesla. For the vast majority of current car drivers, this is more than sufficient. We need to downsize. The opposite of what we've actually been doing since some time in the mid '80s.

dustNbone said:
I think it's a lot closer to the future of urban transport than things like a Tesla. For the vast majority of current car drivers, this is more than sufficient. We need to downsize. The opposite of what we've actually been doing since some time in the mid '80s.

I agree.

American drivers above a certain age will mortgage their own futures and squander their descendants' share of natural resources before they downsize, though. There's a literally and figuratively vicious cycle at work here. Cars make people callous, inconsiderate, and stupid-- and callous inconsiderate stupid people want bigger cars.

The youngest generation of adults seems more indifferent to cars, though. With any luck, cars as a subscription service will break the pattern of transportation as escalation of hostilities.

Chalo said:
dustNbone said:

I agree.

Me Three. :) While many seem more like they have a "Lego View" of an electric future...
38872957_1986441881407759_2035780391968702464_n.jpg

:roll: :lol:

That's cool and especially so that it's already proving popular. The marketers tell us cars have to keep getting bigger because no one wants a small car - clearly this is not a universal truth. Imagine how easy that thing will be to park in a congested city.

I wonder if it's coincidence there's a Mini in the background of the photo? It would be interesting to see them side-by-side for a size comparison.

Hehe... I see there's an entry on Wiki for the original Isetta:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isetta

Starts: The Isetta is an Italian-designed microcar built under license in a number of different countries, including Argentina, Spain, Belgium, France, Brazil, Germany, and the United Kingdom. Because of its egg shape and bubble-like windows, it became known as a bubble car, a name also given to other similar vehicles.

In 1955, the BMW Isetta became the world's first mass-production car to achieve a fuel consumption of 3 L/100 km (94 mpg‑imp; 78 mpg‑US). It was the top-selling single-cylinder car in the world, with 161,728 units sold.

Hehe... A BMW Isetta... sorta analogous to buying a BMW Mini today? :)

When this North American arrived in England early in the 1960s, these mini- and micro- vehicles were all over the place. Not long after WWII... Much of Europe were still poor with money saving and not spending still "high on the list". (Giant-sized vehicles, mass consumption and waste sorta a North American invention...)

After the war German airplane manufacture was still verboten so they were using their plane parts and tools to make little cars. My father bought himself a 3-wheeled microcar made by Messerschmitt... (and I see that Wiki page lists another "car" made by Heinkel)

Hehe... see folks on the `Sphere designing an electric Messerschmitt:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8393&p=127065#p127065

Then of course European cities have plenty of old, downtown cores with tiny/narrow streets...

:)

The North American way: Bigger is Better

Its not until gas prices hit a certain price point at the pumps that people will start realizing that they should buy a better fuel efficient vehicle that will be light weight and smaller then their Hummer or their half ton truck. I laugh everytime I ride past this "baker" who owns a Ford truck and a Suburban, or the florist who has a Dodge truck and a Yukon. While I saw this decent looking sports car, I'd guess 10yrs old and they only filled up exactly $10.00 while I am "borrowing" electricity from the gas station convenience store, then when we are both side by side at the light, I am on the sidewalk doing 40kph while sports car is in a school zone doing 30kph.

Hehe... ^^ "I am on the sidewalk doing 40kph"... Careful... Gotta watch out for those pesky pedestrians... :) In the daze before Canada and then the Provinces legalized our "power-assisted bicycle" (pony-powered five hundred watts - continuous, not peak [hehe]...) I used to roll on roads and sidewalks... all over... Once took the scoot to a highrise rooftop deck... possibly the highest an ebiker has EVer traveled... Had to come up with my own rules:
How would you write ideal ebike regulations:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=57283

:wink:

markz said:
I am on the sidewalk doing 40kph while sports car is in a school zone doing 30kph.

It's all fun and games until someone's treasured crotch dropping scoots out in your way and becomes kidburger. Then you're in a world of awfulness.

Chalo said:
markz said:
I am on the sidewalk doing 40kph while sports car is in a school zone doing 30kph.

It's all fun and games until someone's treasured crotch dropping scoots out in your way and becomes kidburger. Then you're in a world of awfulness.

I am always safe!
In that instance there was 5' of grass and the road on my left and there was an open field on my right with a fence 10' from the sidewalk, no tree's and no side streets and it was a 800mt (1/2mile) of smooth riding surface which I had just rode on an hour before. Normally I wouldnt go that fast especially on a sidewalk because you never know with roots popping concrete upwards. It was a fun little jaunt.

Back