Large ESC 500A search

Loop98

1 µW
Hi all,

I am quite new to the large electric vehicle world, and am trying to connect the dots. With a friend we are trying to build a drag racer that accelerates as fast as possible. For this we would like to use a 45kW motor with around 460A (so volts are around 100V). This would really give us the acceleration.

Any suggestions on the controllers? Weight of course is a thing to consider.

Thanks in advance!

ASI BAC stuff is not going to do 45kw, or 100v.

@OP: I'd suggest looking up the various high-power racing builds around the forum, like Arlo1's, and see which controllers they are using.

Also, have you designed your battery pack yet? All the power you need is going to have to come from it. I suspect you're going to end up going a lot higher than 100v to do what you're after, just to reduce the current required from the cells (and size of wiring, contactors, etc.), which reduces the voltage sag, and increases the total power you get out of the pack.

45kW is Zero motorcycle power. I can't find what voltage the 2018 models use but historically they've always been low voltage/high current, I believe under 100V. You might find some joy in salvaging in parts from such a bike, like motor, battery or controller. I believe most of them use Sevcon controllers of one type or another.

Have to agree, the voltage/current choice seems backwards. Would be good if you could also explain your reasoning so far.
Sounds to me like you designed yourself into a corner. And since you are new to this...

100V/500A isn't unreasonable from a design perspective. It has plenty going for it.

IIRC there is an electric drag racing class limited to something like 24VDC. Now those guys know high current!

Back