XCooter Blaster XC300GT

jeancks

1 mW
Hello. I have an old XCooter Blaster XC300GT. It is similar to an XCaliber 600. The original controller had some issues and was not functioning properly. So, we bought a variable speed controller and all hell has broken loose.

Specs. -
600 Watt Brushed Permanent Magnet DC Motor

2x 12v 18ah Lead Acid Batteries

1 40 Amp Fuse

2x 10" By 4" Air filled tires (Soon to be Solids)

No seat (I prefer to stand)

1 belt (no chain)

1 Chinese Motor Controller link provided to what was purchased.

Motor Speed Controller, DC 10-55V... <URL url="https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JH13VVP?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share"><LINK_TEXT text="https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JH13VVP?re ... b_ap_share">https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JH13VVP?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share</LINK_TEXT></URL><br/>

Throttle- N/A yet

Using the controller in and of itself with provided potentiometer, the motor acts accordingly and everything is fine.

Remove the potentiometer and add an electric throttle, the motor runs at 14/89. Meaning it runs as low as 14% and as high as 89% of capacity. So yes, with the throttle attached the motor does not stop spinning. That is potentially an issue. Lol.

Also, I know a very small amount of anything in regards to electronics and motors. I am pretty much just getting what I am told by a third party. Whom is putting it all together for me. So, I don't know what I am getting wrong but I think the controller for this use is pretty much garbage.

Attachments

• 1560356953249.jpg
    1560356953249.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 1,277
Common throttles are either potentiometer or hall sensor.

Sounds like hte one you have is hall sensor, but the controller needs a pot type.

You can buy potentiometer throttles to replace the hall sensor throttle

https://www.google.com/search?&q=potentiometer+grip+throttle

BTW, the ride on solid tires is going to suck, unless this is being used only indoors on some smooth completley flat floor. ;)

Keep the air-filled for a better ride.

Thanks, for the response. We kind of got that part figured out. Was hoping for a work around. Since pot throttles are a bit pricey. But didn't find a definite answer that was a guarantee hit and not gonna cost an arm and a leg. So instead I took the easier route and have ordered another controller that is a bit more compatible with off the shelf items. Should be here today. Not sure what I am gonna do with the other controller yet though.

I prefer the solids tires. I have another scooter with solids and like the rigidity of the ride. Keeps me alert and aware of my surroundings. The squishy and bouncy tend to make me nervous. Plus in Arizona; I don't want to have to deal with a flat tire on the way to or from work. For me, that's practically the #1 determining factor.

I totally understand that; it's why I went with moped tires and tubes on the back of my SB Cruiser trike, because of all the crap on the side of the road where I usually have to ride. WIth just bicycle tires the goatheads and other road debris did in a lot of tubes, though slime helped out a fair bit, and the slime protection strips kept most stuff out when I started using those..but caused other problems sometimes.

If thicker tires/tubes for the scooter aren't available, one other thing you can do besides solid tires is multilayer: The extra thickness of the inner tire or extra tube(s) will keep some things from being able to reach the tube actually holding the air.

I've used both these techniques, though ATM I"m only using the second one.

1: Take an old tire (preferably something closer to slick than knobby), and remove the bead. Install this tire inside the tire you're actually going to use. Install your tube inside this. Optionally, install a slime protection strip between the two tires (so it can't cut the tube). Optionally, install slime inside the tube itself.

2: Take an old tube (preferably really thick, or do this with multiple tubes in layers), and cut off the valve stem. Slit the tube along it's inner circumference. Slip this tube (or several layers of such tubes) over the tube you'll actually be using. Install this assembly inside the tire. Optionally install slime in the tube itself. Optionally install a slime protection strip between the tire and hte outer old tube.

For really desperately bad situations you could do both 1 and 2, with both optional bits. :)

Keep in mind, the more layers, the worse the ride, but its still better than solid tires.

However, solid tires are the only truly puncture-proof ones still made of rubber that I know of. ;)

Regarding using a hall throttle on a pot controller...it can be done but you'd have to either use a cycle analyst from Grin Tech to translate the voltage range of one ot the other, or build your own electronics to do it.

A hall throttle only outputs around 0.8v to around 4v, but a controller designed for a pot generally expects 0v to 5v input range.

It's pretty easy to convert a pot throttle to run a hall controller, just a couple of resistors (sometiems only one), but doing the other way around requires active electronics, either a transistor or op-amp circuit, or an MCU programmed to do it (like arduino, etc).

Easier and cheaper to use the right kind of throttle and controller together.

Back