I’m new , looking for feedback

JamesHa

10 µW
Hello all,

First post here. I’m glad I found you guys!

My Scoots are in my Sig.

My main question is on the first 3, they are all on stock controllers. The reason is because after I dropped big Lithium’s the performance has been great. I’m wondering if it’s even worth putting bigger controllers in them, I’d have to do throttles too.

Your thoughts ?

Days without a reply, good forum :/

Well, there was no reason to reply; you answered your own question:

You said the performance was great, which means there's no reason to change anything.

If you have specific goals they don't meet, then you would need to change things to meet those goals.

We can't help you determine what to change without knowing exactly what those goals are, and exactly how they already perform, and how they don't meet those goals.

We'd also need complete details on each system that does not meet the goals, so we'd be able to help you determine which bits to change out.

So...ask specific questions that can be answered, and you'll probably get useful answers. ;)

Also, without pics of anything, there's nothing to respond to with comments about looks, style, suggestions of improvements, etc. If you attach pics to your posts by using the attachments tab, you can direclty upload them to the forum so anyone that can see the post can see the pics. (if you have pics in the post now, I can't see them, which means they're not attached and are on a site I don't have access to, a common problem with linking external stuff since this is a worldwide forum).

Hello, thanks for the response , I disagree though.

I had a clear question, would I see a big increase from swapping the controllers and throttles. Yes they do perform well but I have no idea how they would perform if those parts were upgraded.

Also I find your response interesting because in your sig it says “if it isn’t broke, mod it until it is” isn’t that the opposite of what you said?

As for pics, I’ve read a lot of the other posts and see people have pics of the types of scooters I have. Not sure what pics would change.

I have a blue Ezip 1000 curry and a black Stealth 1000 also curry.

I have a blue 1000w uberscoot

And I have a Bladez Xtrse 450w which is gray with green graphics

I have a blue and a pink razor e300 s , I have two red razor
190’s and a black power core 90

As you can see they are all mass produced and about the run of what can be found here :)

First, I'll answer your new question, after that is some other info that may help you understand the problem with your original post, etc.

would I see a big increase from swapping the controllers and throttles.

First, a question:

Why do you want to swap the throttles? The throttle itself won't change the performance of a system. It *may* change the feel because some have wider mechanical range for the same output, making finer control easier. Or a thumb or trigger throttle vs a half or full grip type may make it easier to use for some people's hands, etc.

Next: "big increase" isn't sufficiently detailed or clear to answer usefully.

(increase in what? Efficiency? Speed? Torque? Acceleration? Wheelies? ???? )

But this may help you:

If by "swapping" the controlelrs you mean changing them out for higher power output versions, well, you'll get higher power output from the system that way, but at the cost of heating up the motor more and for anything that isn't a hubmotor it'll also put that much mroe stress on the drivetrain parts between the motor and the wheel.

If the Currie systems you have are the old leftside chaindrive (not all Currie use that), then those are usually small brushed motors, which overheat more with higher power input than brushless stuff, and can fail faster...but sometimes the extra power is even more noticeable until that happens.

If the Razors are like the little one I have, they have tiny 100w-ish brushed motors, and don't have throttles, or really even controllers. They just use a switch to turn on a relay to give max power to the motor, and another relay on the ebrake to disconnect power. A controller and an actual throttle would let you have better control, but it wouldn't get you more power than is available already via the relay system (which has no power limit).

If the Razors are the type that do use controllers and throttles, then it's like Curries--you can use higher power controllers, but the overheating risk on the small motors is high, if you aren't careful with applying it, or use the higher power too often or too long.

I don't know the "Uberscoot" or "Bladez", but the same applies to those. Bigger controllers (higher current limits) will give more available power, at the risk of pushing the motors too hard.

I would say from my experiences with various brushed big and small motors, and small geared hubs, that you can probably do up to 50% more power reasonably safely for shortish periods (like accelerating from a stop) but using it too long, or using higher levels, can give too much risk of damage from overheating or breaking things like gears and other drivetrain parts.

With DD hubmotors (not geared), you can often use a controller that can sustain a power level double that of what the motor is "rated" for, but if you use that power continuously, the motor may overheat and fail. How long that takes depends on terrain, wind, actual load, time, usage, actual parts involved, total weight, etc, so it's complicated and the exact same system may work perfectly for one person and catch on fire in five minutes for another.

Whether more power will get you wnat you're after, we have no idea, because you havent' told us what that is. You'd need to give specific details on exactly what you want, terrain, wind, riding style, total weight, acceleration desired, etc etc for us to be able to be detailed in our answers.

To get some idea of how all this works, you can go to http://ebikes.ca/simulator, read the entire page, and then play with various setups (they dont' have to be anything like yours) and usages, and you can see how things interrelate, and how overheating can happen.

JamesHa said:
I had a clear question, would I see a big increase from swapping the controllers and throttles.
I don't see that question anywhere in your post, which I've quoted below in full.

You may have *meant* to ask it, but didn't type it in, so we didn't know to answer it. Now that you have asked it, we can answer it.

JamesHa said:
Hello all,

First post here. I’m glad I found you guys!

My Scoots are in my Sig.

My main question is on the first 3, they are all on stock controllers. The reason is because after I dropped big Lithium’s the performance has been great. I’m wondering if it’s even worth putting bigger controllers in them, I’d have to do throttles too.

Your thoughts ?

Also I find your response interesting because in your sig it says “if it isn’t broke, mod it until it is” isn’t that the opposite of what you said?
Sure. What I do myself is different from what I recommend other people do. I'll generally recommend the safest course for others, unless they specifically ask for the wild side stuff. :)

As for pics, I’ve read a lot of the other posts and see people have pics of the types of scooters I have. Not sure what pics would change.
You don't have to post pics if you don't want to, but if people have to search other places to find out what your stuff is just so they can help you, they may be less likely to want to help than if you simply post the information yourself. ;) The more info that has to be dragged out of someone that needs help, the less time there will be to help them, and the less motivation there is to try.

I help in a lot of threads, starting with ones that have no replies, whenever I have time (usually when I can't sleep), so more time spent in one means less in others. The more research I have to do to help someone, because they didn't provide even basic info, or ask a recognizable question, etc., the less likely I am to post in that thread. The reason I'm posting in yours is to encourage you in future to post enough info, and specific questions, so that people will be able (and willing) to help you out.

I'll help with what I can, but mostly I'm trying to help "seed" your thread with the info we need to help you.

I have a blue Ezip 1000 curry and a black Stealth 1000 also curry.

I have a blue 1000w uberscoot

And I have a Bladez Xtrse 450w which is gray with green graphics

I have a blue and a pink razor e300 s , I have two red razor
190’s and a black power core 90

AW, you never fail to impress me with your patience. He lost me after his second post, no need for it...
So here's my feedback....
Don't be so rude.

Hello All,

I have a bunch of scoots but am looking to build something more significant.

I think I’ve maxed out what my Schwinn and Ezip 1000’s can do. I’m running 52 V batteries on the stock controllers. I’ve heard of people putting bigger controllers on them but they usually fry the motor. Mine are both the direct drive versions.

I also have an Uberscoot with an upgraded controller and a 52v battery. However it was the 36v so it was a tad smaller than the 48v and the wheel setup is not as good.

I’m about to pull the trigger on a 2017 Hyper and have a choice. I can get it without the motor and controller. Save some money and then slap my own in.

Another guy on this board went with a full 72v setup.

I’m wondering what the performance difference would be between doing the same 72v setup and doing a 60v motor 72v controller and a 72v batt.

I’ve had a lot of luck overvolting motors and they seem faster that way. It would also be about 50$ cheaper.

I’d like input if anyone has some.

My goals are to have a ton of torque, good hill climb and 30 -40 ish Top speed.

For comparison my Curries come real close but they feel unsafe at 25 ish and pop wheelies because of my big but. They are pretty nice though.

Thanks !

It's sounds like you're ready to stop playing with toys and get a real EV with with larger wheels. Then the sky is the limit in terms of performance. If you want to do it on a budget, you can pick up a used full size electric scooter with a dead battery for a song and use that big direct drive hubmotor to build something with some power and safer diameter tires.

I have ezip 450 currie e scooter its a 5 pin throttle the 3 pins red black and green all came out of the sensor chip i dont really know what i am doing but i have 2 fix this 4 my daughter. I do everything myself n covid-19 caused me 2 be without work 4 almost a month now so really dont have funds 2 purchase a new anything but i found a foot pedal 4 a sewing machine with the wires already spliced how can i convert twist throttle 2 foot pedal

Also there is a blue nd brown wire still connected 2 motherboard with 3 light bulbs if someone could tell me what wires go 4 what i could probably just go from there

Back