2 hoverboard motor stucke together to make a "wide wheel" motor

Madyicstik

10 mW
so has anybody tried sticking 2 hover board motors to make somewhat of a widewheel motor for thier scooters? i was thinking of doing this to make a more stable base for a scooter project im working on as i find a regular single wheel that is a 2 inch wide a little too wobly for me. can i use 2 motors with one controller? say use a 1000watt 36v controller for he 2 hub motors? any feed back is appreciated.

It should be possible to drive two motors with one controller as long as both motors are exactly in phase with each other. They would need to be bolted together so the timing doesn't change. Otherwise you need to use two controllers.

To find the phasing, you could apply a current limited DC voltage to a corresponding pair of phase wires and the motors will line up. Then you need to find a way to lock them together in that orientation. Once locked together, you can use the hall sensors from either one.

that makes alot of sense. so as long as their bolted together, and green to gree blue to blue and yellow to yellow in parallel to the controller i can use either one of the hall sensors?

Madyicstik said:
that makes alot of sense. so as long as their bolted together, and green to gree blue to blue and yellow to yellow in parallel to the controller i can use either one of the hall sensors?
Yes, that should work. They have to be precisely aligned when bolting them together. You can run about 2x the power with two motors.

How about the battery? Should I double up on the battery as well and make a parallel connector? that should double the current in parallel right?

You could double up on the battery for more amps but that will be limited by the controller. You could go for a more powerful controller.

Just wondering how this turned out in the end? Did you get it working? Also how did you bolt them together did you just put one through the center?

Hey i scrapped the idea. But when i tested it, the wires got hot but im only using one controller which is stupid. You need to use 2 separate controllers then run the theottle in parallel.

I attached them together by drilling for holes that lines up and match the other one and put 4 nuts and bolts in the side of the motor that doesnt have the shaft.

Back