VESC - Motor will not start until a small kick is applied from a full stop despite using hall sensors

Hi everyone,

I’m using a 4.12 VESC and having some issues. The motor will not start until a small kick is applied from a full stop. For example, in the initial motor calibration wizard using VESC Tools, after you press fwd to test direction (to determine whether to invert phase wires) and you press rev afterward, the motor just stalls. Even after the motor is full configured, the throttle does nothing (using ADC input) unless I “kick” off the scooter.

I have the hall sensors all wired up properly (at least I think so, matched all the colors) so I don’t know why this is an issue. i want it so that it can start from a full stop using the throttle and without me having to kick off.

Anyone know why the VESC is doing this and how to fix it?

My configuration:

max motor current 35a, max regen current -12a, max current 80a, rpm 150k, max watt 750w

district9prawn said:
If you go to sampled data can you capture the hall sensor values stepping through their six states as the motor turns?

Hmm... where exactly do I do that? RT APP? or this is some kind of terminal command?

Go to vesc-project.com and install the free VESC-TOOL. Look at the documentation for that software and/or some youtube videos and you'll see what the previous poster was referring to.

Using that tool, you might want to run the "Detect Motor" sequence and confirm that the VESC controller does in fact 'see' your Hall Sensors.

Back