Controllers and throttle

lozhaze

1 µW
Hi, not sure if i'm posting in the right place but I need a bit of help please.

Im trying to get a go kart going with an electric motor for my daughter who is 5.

I have a golf trolley motor and gear box which will be about the right speed to start with at least but can't get a controller and throttle pedal to work.

I have a 12v chinese controller and a couple of hes pedals, the best I can manage when all connected up is the motor going at full speed while the the throttle pedal is at idle. I've looked around the web and have learned some things but not enough apparently!

Here are some pics of what I have been doing. I have 5v from the controller across the red and green wire, is this throttle just incompatible altogether or am I doing something daft?

Many thanks for any help.

20210326_134915.jpg
20210326_134821.jpg

lozhaze said:
I have a 12v chinese controller and a couple of hes pedals, the best I can manage when all connected up is the motor going at full speed while the the throttle pedal is at idle.
If it's full speed even without the pedal connected, the controller is probably damaged (brushed controllers usually fail "full on").

I have 5v from the controller across the red and green wire, is this throttle just incompatible altogether or am I doing something daft?

It is probable that the controller uses a potentiometer type throttle, rather than a hall throttle.

It's also probable that the pedal is a pot type. If so, then you may simply have the 5v and ground wires reversed. But before you swap them:

Disconnect the pedal from the controller. Set your meter to 20kohms, and put the red lead on one of the pedal wires, then the black lead on either of the other two. One of them will probably read about 5kohms, and the ohter will probably read close to zero. If so, then press the pedal down while reading the meter, in each of those two measurements, and one of those will likely change in value--that's the signal wire. If you don't get anything like these readings, then measure each of the possible pairs of wires with the meter, note down the readings on each, both with the pedal up and the pedal down, and post them here.

Hi

The throttle is definitely a hall sensor because I've had a peek inside. The motor only goes at full power once the throttle pedal is connected.

I have a potentiometer I can try with the controller so will do that.

I cant find a pot throttle at all though, I'm in the uk and there seems to be nothing available.

Thank you kindly for responding.

It seems that your throttle to controller wiring is not quite right.

I would speculate that a voltage test between your RED and BlACK throttle wires from the controller will also show 5vdc. And the ones I would use for supply. With the GREEN wire actually the signal wire.

As far as your throttle wiring goes and with access to your hall sensor connections. Use this hall sensor pin-out illustration to determine which wires are which. And attach to your controller accordingly.

gXMVqVm.jpg

For more detailed information on how to verify both wiring... see this thread.

Guide to Hall Sensor Throttle operation, testing, and modification.

Any questions feel free to ask. Oh, and I think your key switch bypass is awesome! :eek:

EDIT: on closer inspection is your BLACK meter lead in the correct jack for testing voltage?

Regards,
T.C.

I agree with Tommycat, your black lead should be in the COM socket of your Meter.
Most throttles have the yellow wire for signal. As for + & -, I can't help if blue is + or -.
Sorry mate

AussieRider

Back