Razor Rx200 commuter/ripper

Yo! So it's been a while since I've posted or built something, but I'm back. After a lot of working from home, I'm back to commuting to SF, so that means I need a scooter to get from the parking lot to the train and from the train to work, plus ripping around SF on my lunch.

I still have the dual hub beast that's pretty fast (36mph), but not ideal for commuting. With this build I had 3 simple rules.
1. Must look stock
2. 25 mph top speed
3. Super light (carry with one hand)

With that in mind, I knew a razor was going to be a good candidate. I've built a few e300s back in the day but that's a little bigger than I want. Searching facebook marketplace I found a razor Rx200 off road edition for $45! I knew that was the one as soon as I saw it, so I grabbed it immediately. I had a few outunners, castle 50 esc, and a new 6s turnigy nanotec 8ah lipo sitting on my bench. These will work nicely for experimenting.

I made an adapter plate that mounts to the original motor mount holes so there is no need to modify the frame. I added long slots for the mount to provide perfect chain alignment. I made a quick mount for the actual motor out of some scrap aluminum and off we go. I got the motor mounted and wired up first. I had an old servo tester and magura throttle in my stash so I had the whole system up and running pretty quickly. I knew the 50A esc was on the small side but wanted to experiment with it. I ordered a 180 esc off of bangood which is wired up and feeding lots of current to the motor. I mounted a 10t sprocket on the front and used the same chain that came with the scooter, it was really a breeze getting this together.

Specs (so far)
19mph top speed
Wheelies on demand up to 12mph
about 8lbs lighter

I also ordered a new motor off of ebay which is a 170kv and an 11t sprocket. I plan to hook up my watt meter to see what the 245kv motor is pushing, then I'm going to swap the motor to the 170kv and see what the specs are with that motor. I will post all this data later. I'll also take some better pics and get video. I'm commuting on the scooter daily and have about 10 miles on it. I'm slowly working on it at night when I can find time. I hope to have all the parts and what not within a week, so maybe the build will wrap up within a month.

Tacon 160-245kv motor: https://www.hobbypartz.com/96m608-bigfoot160-5335-245kv.html

6374 170 kv motor: https://www.ebay.com/itm/402930875856

180A esc: https://usa.banggood.com/FVT-180A-Sensored-Brushless-Waterproof-ESC-For-15-18-RC-Car-p-1074183.html?cur_warehouse=CN

programming card for esc (strongly recommended): https: //usa.banggood.com/RC-Car-LCD-Display-Program-Card-For-FTV-Series-Car-Brushless-ESC-p-985971.html?cur_warehouse=CN&rmmds=detail-top-buytogether-auto

Anti-spark switch: https://flipsky.net/collections/anti-spark-switch/products/antispark-switch-pro-280a

More to come!

Attachments

• 20210722_204823.jpg
    20210722_204823.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 1,419
  • 20210719_184140.jpg
    20210719_184140.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 1,419
  • 20210719_154820.jpg
    20210719_154820.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 1,420
  • 20210717_210452.jpg
    20210717_210452.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 1,420
  • 20210717_215002.jpg
    20210717_215002.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 1,420
Great! Im planning doing similar build got cheap ebay 6384 120kv motor and cheapest vesc will run it on 10s, maybe 12s with smallest sprocket on motor i will find. Im after good torque and cussin from those tyres. Just dont have time to finish off.

@latex awesome man, good luck with the build. These scooters are really fun when they're this light and powerful. I've been pretty hard on it and its held up nicely.

I was able to get the watt meter hooked up for a quick look at some of the vitals of the system. The street in front of my house is a hill so I went to the bottom and slammed on the throttle and did a WOT run. I decided to do another just to make sure I'm seeing full power and that's when it happened, no power... I went home to take the scooter apart and see what happened. I quickly realized that I pulled way more amps than the watt meter would like to see lol. I unplugged the watt meter from the system and it fired right back up. I plan to do the motor swap soon so I can see how that motor performs. I also ordered an 11t sprocket to get the top speed a little higher. Progress will be slower than anticipated as I pulled a muscle in my forearm yesterday. More to come. Will try and get video soon, as pictures don't do the scooter justice.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210727-101741_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210727-101741_Gallery.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 1,352
  • 20210725_220928.jpg
    20210725_220928.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 1,352
latex said:
Great! Im planning doing similar build got cheap ebay 6384 120kv motor and cheapest vesc will run it on 10s, maybe 12s with smallest sprocket on motor i will find. Im after good torque and cussin from those tyres. Just dont have time to finish off.
Any update on your build?

@skippo Thanks for the reply. Yes you can run these motors on a cheap ebike controller, but you will need to fit them with hall sensors . Below is a video I shot a while back of an outrunner running on an ebike controller. You can find some good write ups and videos on how to do this on the ES forum. Also you can buy these motors with hall sensors installed. The tacon motor I have installed doesn't have sensors, but the one I'll swap in does. The link to the motors is a few posts up.

My video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRuuM-1Pwzs

There has been some progress to report on the project. I’ve been commuting on it everyday and really hammering on it. It has about 80-90 miles on it in total and has been bulletproof other than 2 flat tires. I’m still running the tacon 245kv motor with an 11t sprocket. Current weight is only 27.4 lbs! I’m able to grob the scooter with one hand and walk up flights of stairs 2 at a time.

The 11t has a nice balance between top speed and torque for wheelies as opposed to the 10t. I want to redo my top speed runs with the 10t and this motor, as well as with the 11t to get an accurate comparison.

On flat tires: I like to ride wheelies over bumps and sidewalk/street transitions, so the back tire sees a lot of abuse. I’ve also been trying to ride long wheelies on it in general and dumped it a bunch of times in the process. This thing has seen so much abuse and 2 tubes is all it has cost me, amazing. I just got my 2nd flat this week so I ordered a foam filled tire to try in the back, will report back on this.

The plan is still to swap the motor and see which I like better. I’d like to get a watt meter with an external shunt so I can get some more data on this setup. A front brake would also be nice to have as the rear brake has 2 modes,not enough, or locked up. I’ll also film some video of performance because it’s insane what this thing can do!

Tire: https://electricscooterparts.com/tires.html

These tires are on amazon, but if you can, give your money to these guys or monsterscooterparts.com, not that bald guy.

Back with more soon.

Wondering if you can just swap the front fork with and e100. I keep seeing people just giving them away because of bad battery. And they come with the lever front brake.
Wish I can find a rx200 like you at a decent price. Thats is not a very popular model.

Shortcircuit911
Lets say I go with the 170kv motor from your ebay link above with a 36v ebike controller. I think the highest amp controller is 1000w max pulling about 30 amp. What kind of performance do you think I will get?
From you 1st post you were getting top speed at 19mph is that using the 50a ESC?
And what kind of gain do you get now with the 180a ESC?

@skippo I haven’t seen an e100 up close, can’t say for sure. I have modified the forks of another e200 a while ago on another project, I might steal those soon. As far as a 30A e bike controller, you won’t be blown away by performance. It’ll likely have the same top speed as a 180a esc, but the torque won’t nearly be the same. With a 10t on the front and 180 A esc I have wheelies on demand for ¾ of the throttle. Look into the vesc options that flipsky has, you might like them. With the 50A castle esc it would ride wheelies and had the same top speed, but I couldn’t hammer on the throttle a lot because the esc would trip due to thermal issues. 180A esc lets me reliably hammer on the throttle and ride like an ass without the esc getting upset with me.

So it’s been a few weeks since I’ve posted an update. I was waiting to put some miles on the solid tire to see how I like it. So immediately after installing the solid tire I went for a spin. I noticed when I’d hammer on the throttle it felt like the scooter was peeling out, even though I had full traction. I quickly realized that the tire is spinning on the rim under high load conditions- I can fix that.

That day, I put the rim on the mill and drilled (8) 5mm holes in the rim and tire to serve as a bead lock- problem solved. The tire is obviously much harder than a pneumatic tire, but it’s not too bad. I did make the mistake of locking up the rear wheel creating a flat spot on the tire. There’s now a constant ‘thud’ as the flat spot hits the road on each rotation. Other than that, it’s nice not having to worry about flats. I’ll likely stick with the solid tire, at least through the winter.

I still haven’t done the motor swap but still intend to soon. I made a quick video of me riding like an ass in SF, will post soon. I also plan on doing a video that outlines the parts and the setup as I’ve been getting a lot of questions here and on other platforms.

Attachments

• 20211115_121423.jpg
    20211115_121423.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 872
  • 20211115_125332.jpg
    20211115_125332.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 872
  • 20211119_091610.jpg
    20211119_091610.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 872
  • 20211123_080443.jpg
    20211123_080443.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 872
  • 20211128_220535.jpg
    20211128_220535.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 872
  • 20211128_220608.jpg
    20211128_220608.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 872
Cool video. Looks like you having too much fun going to work😂😂.
Can't wait for your next video about the build. Yes do have so many questions about you build. Like how you build the motor mount. Is it doable w/o a mill. It must be nice to have access to all those tool.

How tall are you if the 300 is a little to big for you, whats your weight?
I would want the E300 or E300S because its rated for 220lbs and has 4" more length but the chart doesnt specifity which is length.
E200 Offroad looks good, I like it a lot. I need to join Facebook and see if theres any for sale in my area as I've heard Facebook Marketplace is pretty good for online classifieds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA8wQ2sQzS4

shortcircuit911 said:
I still have the dual hub beast that's pretty fast (36mph), but not ideal for commuting. With this build I had 3 simple rules.
1. Must look stock
2. 25 mph top speed
3. Super light (carry with one hand)

With that in mind, I knew a razor was going to be a good candidate. I've built a few e300s back in the day but that's a little bigger than I want. Searching facebook marketplace I found a razor Rx200 off road edition for $45! I knew that was the one as soon as I saw it, so I grabbed it immediately. I had a few outunners, castle 50 esc, and a new 6s turnigy nanotec 8ah lipo sitting on my bench. These will work nicely for experimenting.

I have never seen a Razor Rx200, the closest thing I have seen for sale is a Razor E200 and the difference I see is the E200's use a bigger chained Unite MY motor and the Razor E100 use a rc runner style in/out motor on the side of the wheel which wouldnt last long.

Your scooter is the inspiration for me to buy a used one and get rolling, I see you rolling on the streets and sidewalks and going into the Subway walking up and down stairs with your Razor.

Used Razors here are $40-80, but I wonder what the maximum size of Unite MY motor would fit in the stock location, the biggest I've been able to find is the Unite MY1020 that is rated for 1000W but I see others for sale that are rated at 1500W but many ebay ads are deceiving or outright lies.

Have you had any problems bringing your stand up scooter into stores or malls with it folded up?
You could always just cover it with a coat or hoody.

That is the appeal of having what you have, you dont have to worry about your ebike being locked up outside as your in the all or stores or movie theater.

Attachments

• Razor Specifications.png
    Razor Specifications.png
    276.2 KB · Views: 800
So I got me a e200 to start my build. If I find a used rx200 deal, I can just move everything over for the disk brake.
I compared the e100 fork and the head tube is not the same diameter as e200 so no swapping for the front brake but you do need the wheel off the e100 since it have flat rim to support rim brake.

I did looked into flipsky's vesc and fsesc very attractive for the limited space we have to work with on these razors.
Just need to learn how to program them.
I have no clue,😂😂.

Calab
I think 911 mean too big is for portability.
The 300 is indeed longer because it has bigger size wheel but the deck is aboit same size as 200
And I think the weight rating for the scooter have to do with the watt of the motor. I don't think the 200w motor on 200s will move much weight pass 150.
But the frame should be able to handle it.
That mean it a okay for us hot rodder.
Lighter weight faster motor can't go wrong.

I also notice both the e300 and rx200 have same style drop out and chain tensioner.
Vs the e200.

@skippo yes, you can make the mount without a mill. I designed mine to have a lot of play in motor position. Good luck with your build.

@calab I’m 5’7. What I meant by too big is: too big to be carrying around everywhere. The Rx200 is the perfect size to fit in the trunk of a car. It is also only 27 lbs so it’s like nothing to carry around. I’ve built a few e300 and like them a lot, just not for what I need right now. Thanks for the kind words and yes I take it into all stores. I walk it everywhere and usually grab the center of the handlebars and nobody says anything.
I wouldn’t go brushed in these things. You can go brushless for not much more and have a killer setup. My motor can get warm if I’m hammering on it as it has a small stator. Flipsky also has a 63100 (I think) which looks like it could fit as well- that would be sweet.

My friend at work really likes my scooter and found one locally on facebook. So I gave him a parts list of what mine has, but he’s going 8s. That thing should be insane when it’s done. He’s starting out with a 50a esc, but will likely swap later on.

I’ve been tempted to start a front brake conversion, but I still need to swap that damn motor lol. I might take the scooter down soon and give it some love as I’ve just been beating the sh*t out of it. Really the next thing should be to make a better chain tensioner, because this one blows! Chain comes off a lot during aggressive riding -seems to be getting worse. More to come

Back