Converting Standing Scooters into Small vehicle

VictorB

1 µW
Hi All,

apologies if this has been asked before but i have looked and can not seem to find another topic outlining the same issue. in my country when electric scooters are left in areas they are not permitted then they may find themselves impounded and then after that sold at auction, these are fairly useless by themselves as they do not operate without connecting to the ride share company but they do still have motors and wheels.

i have disassembled two of these and am now left with 2 x regular wheels and 2 x wheels with 36v motors, the battery that came with them is showing at 36v on my multimeter with a standard charge voltage of 42v.

the motors are quite simple with 3 wires, what would appear to be one positive and two negative, depending on which negative the power flows out of changes the wheel from forward and reverse.

i am planning on combining the two battery to become 72v - 84v so as to power two wheels but am not 100% sure if i only need it to be 36v- 42v or if the 72v - 84v is required for them to both run at once (im fairly sure it is)

i think if i have the two motors running off the same battery then they should not end up fighting eachother and i will not require a controller or two controllers as i saw some others suggest.

is there any reason why a circuit as simple as: {Battery - on/off switch - variable power controller pedal -motors - battery] would not work?
i also know how i could make reverse/forward, horns, breaklights, radio systems etc, but am unsure if a display showing speed and battery health as well as turning indicators would be possible to make without using a controller?

apologies if this is the wrong area but i figure since it is electric scooter parts it may get the most useful responses here. the controllers in the scooters are both partly broken due to my own error and are filled completly with rubber making modifcation impossible, there is another board connected to the display and im not sure if this or the controller is what prevents the scooter working without connecting to the rideshare. the vehicle is for my kids and not the road.

here is an example of the circuit im talking about, it does not show all the bells and whistles but im unsure if there will be any unforeseen problems with this?

Attachments

• simple-circuit.png
    simple-circuit.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 555
It is more likely that the three wire scooter motors are three phase brushless DC motors and will require a speed controller to operate. If there are only three wires a sensorless controller would be needed. The scooters probably have 36 volt controllers on them but they may not work on 72 volts.
If you need reverse there are controllers that will allow a reverse switch.
Do not try putting battery voltage directly across the phase wires.

Back