Wiring citycoco throttle - 7 wire to 5 wire

drewbob

100 µW
Hi all - difficulties putting a 5 wire throttle on a citycoco scooter that had a 7 wire throttle.

The old broken throttle had a switch (not sure what it did), battery indicator, and the typical 3 wire throttle function.
switch: yellow/green
battery indicator: blue/brown
throttle: red/black/white

The new throttle has a two wire on/off key, voltage readout, and the typical throttle function.
on/off: yellow/blue
throttle: red/black/green

So I assume the throttle wires r/b/w would connect directly to the r/b/green of the new throttle. :thumb:
I would think I could just connect the old y/g to make the switch active in case that was an additional on/off button.

That leaves me with an EXCESS BLUE AND BROWN WIRE that I don't know where to connect. :!:

in the photo, the old throttle is on the left side of the electric tape, connections for the new throttle are on the right side of the electric tape.
https://imgur.com/ipLs0CG
https://imgur.com/0GaDVzX

This scooter does have a security system and remote. I've pressed the unlock and then the lightning button twice. The alarm goes off at me when I press and hold the lock button to turn it off. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong with regard to the alarm too.

https://imgur.com/PLMWRka

drewbob said:
So I assume the throttle wires r/b/w would connect directly to the r/b/green of the new throttle. :thumb:
Probably. If the old throttle still works at all you can connect it and measure with your voltmeter on each wire with the meter's black wire on battery negative, and if they come up with 0v on black, 5v on red, and around 1v varying up to around 4v on the white (signal) as you move the throttle, then that's the typical throttle wiring.

I would think I could just connect the old y/g to make the switch active in case that was an additional on/off button.
Usually. Set your multimeter to 20ohms or continuity and put them on teh old unit's Y/G wires, and set the switch to each position. If it gives you OL in one position and a very low reading in the other, then it's just a switch. You can then test the new unit's keyswitch wires the same way, and if it also reads like that, you can then just connect it like the old one did and it will work the same way.

That leaves me with an EXCESS BLUE AND BROWN WIRE that I don't know where to connect. :!:
Since they worked for your battery meter before, then if you want to use the new one's voltmeter as a battery meter, you would hook these wires up to that, if it has separate wires for it (doesn't sound like it from your provided info).

If it doesn't have separate wires for the voltmeter, then that means it is operated off the keyswitch wires, and uses the throttle ground for a battery negative return. You'll know this once you wire up the keyswitch and throttle wires and turn on the keyswitch. If it lights up with the right voltage, you're set. :) In that case, you can just tape off each of the blue and brown wires from the scooter, to make sure they can't short to anything, and secure them so they cant' flop around.

IF it doesn't light up, or reads only about 5v, then we'll have to determine wiring that will make it work.

If it does have separate wires for the voltmeter, It is usually very important to connect them the right way, so you need to use your voltmeter on 200vdc to measure across the blue and brown wire to find out which is positive and which is negative. If you put the red meter lead on blue and black meter lead on brown, and the reading gives you your battery voltage with a minus sign - in front of it, then blue is negative and brown is positive. If there is no minus sign - then brown is negative and blue is positive. Then just connect those to the voltmeter wires on the new unit per the wiring diagram that came with it.

I have to have some additional issue. I can't read any voltage coming from the controller. It's on, I pressed the lightning button on the alarm 2x, and I still don't get voltage on the red and white throttle wires.

When I press the remote lock button and hold it, the blue light (on the "start" button) goes off (as I think it should) and the alarm starts blaring. I can't turn it off without unplugging the battery. I don't understand this beast

I have no idea how it's "alarm" system is setup. If it is a separate module you can probably trace the wires and bypass it to just engage the controller, but it may be part of the controller and/or required to operate the controller.

It sounds like the controller is not actually enabled, probably that the alarm system is not engaging whatever relay it has to turn on the keyswitch/ignition line on the controller.

I'd assume that you're turning on the keyswitch on your throttle, or connecting the wires together that used to go to that switch?

(the most common thing is that the switches on throttles are used for is to either turn the 5v to the throttle on and off (requires different wiring than you have) or to turn the battery power to the keyswitch/ignition line on the throttle on and off (potentially matches the wiring you have, depending on the voltages at those wires relative to battery negative).

Since things are not presently working, can you please describe the whole series of events from the time that it was working properly to the time it stopped working to now? This may help us help you find what is keeping it from working.

I found the original throttle and got that plugged in. I still get no voltage. F
Think I have to replace the controller.

If you really want us to help you troubleshoot it, I highly recommend answering the questions as asked; they will help us help you better.

Especially this one:
Since things are not presently working, can you please describe the whole series of events from the time that it was working properly to the time it stopped working to now? This may help us help you find what is keeping it from working.

Is the battery operating correctly and fully charged? If it is too low, or too high, the controller may be disabled to protect itself and/or the battery. If you have a voltmeter, you can set it to 200vdc and use it to test the voltage at the input to the controller.

If you don't have a voltmeter, and you know the correct polarity of the wiring for the voltmeter that is in the new throttle unit, you can use that to test the battery voltage at the input to the controller.

Regarding the alarm operation, you might check with the manufacturer of the scooter--they may have a manual on their website if you don't have one, and if not their customer service should be able to tell you what the alarm is supposed to do when you operate it. If it's not being operated as required, it probably won't activate the controller.

I have no info there. A customer brought it in.
The battery is good.

Back