escooter 1000w 36v problem

Radass23

10 µW
Hello there.
I have a problem with my electric scooter Viron 1000w 36v.
Problem is distance. When Batteries are fully charged, ride about 3miles and then shows battery low and scooger slow down.
Batteries is 3x 12v 12ah
When fully charged, Shows on multimeter 13,22v (about 39,5v together)
When scooter stop, battery Shows 12,5v, about 37,5v together.
On red + cable has 30a green fuse.
I bought a new batteries, but the same problem, so batteries isnt problem.
And when Batteries fully charged, indicator (green full, yellow medium, red low) show yellow medium charged.
What u think?
Idk what to do.
Thank u very much guys

They sound like SLA / AGM (lead acid) batteries. The rest of this post is going to assume that's what they are (so if they're not, just let us know).

They don't always provide much range even when actually new, and "new" ones often sit on a shelf uncharged for so long that they are as damaged as old ones people are replacing, so "new" ones often don't fix problems like yours. Some have a manufacture date stamped into the plastic, many don't--if yours do it can be a guide to how old it is, and potentially how long it sat around unused wasting away.

You can try buying from a different seller, to see if you get lucky and get fresher ones that will last a little longer, but a different battery type will probably be a better solution, and have a longer lifespan (and possibly better range than you had with the originals).

Another problem is that at high discharge rates (like those your scooter draws), they don't supply anywhere near their 'rated" capacity. The graph below shows this, and some other things, including that at 12v resting they're getting closer to empty than full. (12v under load isn't bad, but your 12v is with no load; you're just seeing them bounce back to 12v after the load is removed--you probably would see not much more than 10v at best under load when the scooter stops working). It's worse at lower temperatures (graph for that at the link).
http://www.polluxbattery.com.my/battery-discharging.html
battery-care[1].gif
THe "C" numbers (3c, 2c, etc) mean how many amps the load (scooter) is pulling from the battery, compared to how many Ah (Capacity) the battery has. So at 1C that's 12A for yours (1 x 12Ah). At 3C that's 36A.

Your scooter is "1000w", which if that is how much power it's using during the trip (might not be that much; depends on speed, riding conditions and terrain, etc) would be around 28A or so (1000w / 36v = 28A), so at that rate, by that chart, with brand new perfectly working batteries (that haven't sat on a warehouse shelf for who knows how long), you might get 10 minutes of operation; less as the load goes up or temperature drops, or the batteries age, etc. Since the scooter probably doesn't pull that much current all the time (usually only at startup from a stop and then while climbing hills or going up slopes, etc), it should last longer than that with new batteries, probably two or three times that long.

Other battery types don't have that problem, are lighter for the same capacity, and let you use more of that capacity (as long as you don't get a badly made one, whcih unfortunately are common in the cheap stuff).

So...depending on the layout of the batteries in the scooter, you may have enough room for a good Lithium battery; you'd also be replacing the charger (because it uses a different kind than the SLA).

You'd need one that can deliver at least 30A continuous, and that has at least 10Ah (partly for range, partly so the cells aren't being pushed that hard). The more Ah, the more range you can get out of it, and the easier it is on the cells inside (they sag less in voltage under load, so it performs better and lasts longer).

It will be called a 10s 36v battery for the voltage you need. It may also be called 10sXp (like 10s3p), where Xp means how many parallel cells it has in each group of cells inside--the actual number doesn't matter, since it is relative to what cells the pack is made of and what it's specified to be able to deliver in A and Ah.

If you're interested in doing this, and can post the dimensions of the inside of the battery compartment (good pics help too), along with your budget, we can try to help you find a suitable one.

There are also some SLA-sized Lithium replacements; some of them may be suitable for your scooter and you'd just use three of them just like you use three SLA now.

It's possible there is some other problem, but if it appears to work the same way it did originally, except it doesnt' ahve as much range, then the battery is almost certainly the cause of that (it's the only thing that makes sense, unless you also have some other problem not reported in the first post). So if there is other info not already provided, or your battery is not SLA, let us know so we can help with that.

Hi, thank u very much for answer.
Old batteries is 6 dzf 12 12ah.
The new batteries is acid 12ah (year not on it)
Why scooter stop, when battery capacity is on 12,5v? My friend say me, the batteries can go to discharge on 10V. The scooter rides good, without problems, just after 4miles stop, bcs the batteries have 37,5V together, so the scooter should be ride more that 4miles or not? Thank u

Could be that the controller is tripping on low voltage at 37.5v 12.5v x 3 or the lead acid batteries are crappy and sag bad. Charge one battery up 1v at a time and run the scooter unloaded so there is very little to no battery sag. Twist the throttle with the scooter motor wheel in the air. You might be able to get away with adding a 6v battery in series with the same ah rating, open up the controller and see what the capacitors are rated for probably 60v you will get a little bit more speed you could actually throw one of your old batteries in series but ideally you want all the batteries the same ah.

Idk, if Its good buy new battery, how much cost, about 200£? I invested too much money to this scooter and still not rides. I think Its better buy a new scooter, chaos 1600w 48v Its good?. Controller is 36v, Im sending photo of the controller and space for the battery.

Attachments

• 5CECF1DC-992C-4623-9421-13C31B707E4B.jpeg
    5CECF1DC-992C-4623-9421-13C31B707E4B.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 895
  • B3111B77-BEAD-4E43-A1CA-AB85A89F64C2.jpeg
    B3111B77-BEAD-4E43-A1CA-AB85A89F64C2.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 895
  • 0413CA35-DA9F-4899-9561-3296FCB6F6ED.jpeg
    0413CA35-DA9F-4899-9561-3296FCB6F6ED.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 895
  • 1034B9C0-AD0B-491B-8919-3C0FBA1DC5C0.jpeg
    1034B9C0-AD0B-491B-8919-3C0FBA1DC5C0.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 895
  • FFB15671-5CB1-46DA-9935-77FDEE4BF27B.jpeg
    FFB15671-5CB1-46DA-9935-77FDEE4BF27B.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 895
Looks like it's a brush motor controller to me. I guess chain drive?
You have plenty of room for lithium battery.
Here is a example of a battery that will fit right in.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=113550#p1680175
This is about as cheap as they get, so should give you an idea if it worth to spend more money on this scooter.
Spending never ends when you want faster and go long.

Good news is if it's chain drive. You can easily upgrade to a 2k-3k brushless motor for under 200usd

Back