Long board build for work?

Jordan325ic

100 W
1-2 hours at a walking speed of 3-4 mph = max 8 miles of range. With a buffer maybe ~10 miles of range.

Is there a reason you want to make it yourself? There are many off-the-shelf electric longboards which meet that criteria for a few hundred dollars.

How far do you want to go into making it yourself because you can buy kits to put together yourself or you can buy skateboard trucks that are motorized to hook up to your own controller/esc and your own battery. You need the wireless controller to.

Snow Camo said:
Hi all,
I am interested in making something that will get me through an hour or two of travel. Likely less and will be in 5-10 min intervals. Total weight approx 220. I do not care about speed as all I need is walking speed. Any advice or direction is appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

It is personal preference also how high do you want to go and what size wheel do you want and do you want a motor that is apart of the wheel or do you want the motor to be not apart of the wheel.

It would give you extra gearing to dial in the kv of the motor to the speed you want with the battery voltage your using.

Snow Camo said:
Idk i guess separate would give me more options/ reliability?

Snow Camo said:
Good deal. What are some good sites for parts? The ones i find double as folks selling the complete boards in kits. I am looking for a site that is not a board manufacture. I'd like to find a site that does not have a high markup on parts.

All this stuff is built in China, so when you buy from an 'high markup' company you normally get: quality control, support, warranty and reputation. In my opinion reputation is the most important. If you're buying from a brand-name company you have the ability to do research before you buy, see reviews and watch videos on real-world performance, longevity, etc... much more difficult with your no-name kits. If you know what you're doing and are willing to take the risk, head on over the aliexpress.com and buy direct for a fraction of the price. Ebay is also a popular place for budget conversion parts.

But you should read this article before you start buying stuff:
https://forum.esk8.news/t/is-diy-right-for-you/112
It seems there are 2 main reasons people turn to DIY. The first is for performance. They typically have a production board (not always) and have outgrown its capabilities. They want more speed, more range, more torque, better aesthetics, etc etc. The other reason people turn to DIY is cost savings. They think that they will be able to save some coin by building their own instead of spending the money on a prebuilt.

In my opinion, one of these reasons is valid and one is not. If you are looking for performance, then drive on! If you are just looking to save a few bucks by building your own board… I hate to say it, but it probably just won’t happen. Not to say that this is always the case, but more often than not, it is. The amount of time and necessary tools alone precludes many from actually seeing cost savings in going the DIY route. By the time you get all of the necessary tools and small unaccounted for parts, a build is typically pretty damn expensive. Even cheaper builds.

If you are interested in learning the technology and want the satisfaction of building something from the ground up, do it! I do. But if you're purely doing it to save money...

Back