Help us build the best Eskate tire [Hunter Boards]

miguel

1 µW
Hi everyone,

I work for Hunter Boards and we are struggling with getting the pneumatics tires to a point where they are comparable in efficiency with urethane solid wheels.

To give a background, during the development of the skateboard we tested many different compounds of urethane and rubber, and even with the same hardness, we would get huge differences in range. We finally got to a range of 38km but initially, we were getting around 20km and the only thing that changed was the material but not the hardness.

Now we are having the same problem with pneumatics and are trying a few different approaches but since the escooter market is a lot more mature, maybe you guys already have the solution.

What we are doing right now:

1- Wide tires to reduce rolling resistance

Rolling resistance comes from tire hysteresis, the compound plays a huge part in this energy loss but geometry does too. The more a tire deforms the more it loses energy. To counteract this we are doing a wide tire. For the same mass(rider+skate weight), there is more area distributing that force, which results in a smaller tension. Tension is proportional to extension (deformation) so a wider tire will lose less energy to hysteresis.

2- Removing the tube and have a tubeless tire
Air doesn’t waste energy like rubber when compressed so the more air you have and the less rubber the lower the rolling resistance, because of that we are thinking of eliminating the inside tube and keep a low profile.

One big problem too is that we want to make a 5in tire which is really small.

There's no mention of your Eskate design. Only a second showing a tire spinning in the sand.
Really is that suppose to impress a potential buyer seeing a tire capable of spinning in sand?

Are you planning of using pouch cells or cyclindrical cells. My guess is you don't have a plan.

The OP could probably just be doing a pre-tickle before its crowd sourced, probably plan it out so it looks legit or whatever they do to get higher hit count on Google Search Engine. Best guess though, is its homework for some technical post secondary institute or senior high high school :mrgreen:

eMark said:
There's no mention of your Eskate design. Only a second showing a tire spinning in the sand.
Really is that suppose to impress a potential buyer seeing a tire capable of spinning in sand?

Are you planning of using pouch cells or cyclindrical cells. My guess is you don't have a plan.

Hi.
So I did post this on another forum which was esk8 news and got a lot of feedback and actually I am working on that feedback already.
I thought on posting on this one also because I could find people working on escooters which is a more mature market and could give us better solutions.

I really don't understand the criticism but I will try to address it:
eMark said:

I didn't mention any of our esk8 design because I am not here to promote it. I am here to get ideas on how to build the best pneumatic tire. But if you were capable of finding the gif showing the tire spinning in the sand, I am sure you found everything else including the type of cells (LG HG2 10S3P) we use as we have all our skate details explained here: https://hunterboards.com/pages/how-was-the-hunter-board-built
And we do have a plan since we are selling and delivering skates already.

amberwolf said:
A quick google shows they're doing research (and/or spamvertising) via reddit as well.

What spam are we doing? As I said I posted this question in esk8news as well and got excellent feedback and as mentioned earlier I didn't talked about our skate, I only talked about the pneumatic tire which is something we are still developing and won't be in the market soon. We started doing this because we don't want to waste time developing stuff that will be later dismissed by the users. So we will from now on share our development stage with the community.

Another great example of this is the app. My colleague who is doing the app decided to share our ideas with the community and the feedback we got completly changed the direction we were going. We were first aiming at something around gamification and are now trying to create a tool for everyday PEV users.

calab said:
The OP could probably just be doing a pre-tickle before its crowd sourced, probably plan it out so it looks legit or whatever they do to get higher hit count on Google Search Engine. Best guess though, is its homework for some technical post secondary institute or senior high high school :mrgreen:

Well, we are not doing crowdfunding, we have sales and skates with clients already.

Back