Help me write the ES wiki

Talk about anything and everything here within reason.
f2s
1 µW
1 µW

Re: Help me write the ES wiki

Post by f2s » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:41 am

I've added a basic layout, please feel free to write and expand on the current pages ...
Motivation for me doing this is that it's just such a pain to get a general overview of components for building a DIY bike by trawling through the forum for answers.

Link is:
https://endless-sphere.com/w

Can I ask the admin's of endless-sphere, please for the name of all that is good, can you make sure this site is backed up on a daily basis and is tested thoroughly before this starts taking off. Nothing worse than loosing wiki data

www.recumbents.com
10 kW
10 kW

Post by www.recumbents.com » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:47 am

Looks like it all works. I added a tutorial section and I added some content to:

https://endless-sphere.com/w/index.p ... ttery_Pack

This is a good page to use to learn wiki formatting code: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Formatting

-Warren.

GCinDC
10 GW
10 GW

Post by GCinDC » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:35 pm

f2s wrote:I've added a basic layout, please feel free to write and expand on the current pages ...
Motivation for me doing this is that it's just such a pain to get a general overview of components for building a DIY bike by trawling through the forum for answers.

Link is:
https://endless-sphere.com/w

Can I ask the admin's of endless-sphere, please for the name of all that is good, can you make sure this site is backed up on a daily basis and is tested thoroughly before this starts taking off. Nothing worse than loosing wiki data

So the wiki has been up for a while but not much seems to be going on with it.

What'll it take to get people motivated, organized, and writing/editing?

Should we break up into teams? Recruit volunteers?

I've just been thinking about going to 20" or 24" fat rims, and lord knows there's a ton of info on ES about them in everyone's threads, but it'll take a lot of research... whereas if brands/sizes/specs etc were on the wiki....

and then spoke info... :mrgreen:
Youtube channel, 2013 Highlights vid. Ebike Nerdcast.
Giant DH Comp: 20s lipo (11.6Ah), hs3540, Adaptto Mini-E, 900W BMSBattery charger.
GT I-Drive (sold), 20s lipo, 9C, 72V 45A 12FET.

Farfle
10 MW
10 MW

Post by Farfle » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:09 pm

added some info on the X5 series, thanks docbass for inductance and resistance testing.
The race bike:
24s5p 50c nano tech
Badass custom mofo outrunner 205x177mm 26kv
Peak power in : 420A at 87v
Peak power out: 34 Hp and 105ft/lb

Build to last...
"It will be assaulted by the elements, It will be ravaged by time and it will be destroyed by the user. BUT, if you Stick to the little rules: K.I.S.S., Overbuild everything, and test, review, revise, repeat. It will last"

Team Farfle blog!! http://www.farfleselectrics.blogspot.com

Teh Stork
1 kW
1 kW

Post by Teh Stork » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:27 am

There seems to be some kind of coding problem in the login section. My username contains "white signs" and it seems to try "Teh" as a username, instead of the whole "Teh Stork". An easy fix would be to rewrite the user-name. Changing it to getline with a predifined length f-ex.

I'm studying controll methods and inverter schemes now, adding to the wiki would help me learn - and in turn, others :)
2013 VW E-UP!
Kona mtb: Cromotor, Kelly KEB, ~6kW peak, 1,4kWh 90V battery 29E cells, 38 kg

el_walto
10 kW
10 kW

Post by el_walto » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:53 pm

I also can not login to the wiki. Probalby because my username has an "_" in it.

amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:20 am

I forwarded the problems with login to MRVass.

ls7corvete
10 W
10 W

Post by ls7corvete » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:00 pm

GCinDC wrote:What'll it take to get people motivated, organized, and writing/editing?

Should we break up into teams? Recruit volunteers?

I've just been thinking about going to 20" or 24" fat rims, and lord knows there's a ton of info on ES about them in everyone's threads, but it'll take a lot of research... whereas if brands/sizes/specs etc were on the wiki....

and then spoke info... :mrgreen:

I think importing the information that is on ES regarding product specs and different standards will go a long way towards getting the ball rolling. So much of what is on the forums is related to this kinda thing. Maybe start with building blank sub-groups of different components.

SamSpeed
1 W
1 W

Post by SamSpeed » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:24 am

Ok, I'll help. It's a great idea! I've built 2 bikes and could not have done without ES. But it might have been a good deal easier to have a more concise resource, like a wiki.

Just made two edits tonite. I've done a bit of work with Wikipedia so this is real familiar. To anyone wishing to learn editing basics, go here -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Conte ... _Wikipedia -- but take it with a grain of salt. Some things will be Wikipedia specific.

And look at existing articles to get a feel. Heck, edit them if you feel inclined. And remember nothing can be done that can't be undone. Like Jimmy Wales says, "Be bold! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Be_bold_in_updating_pages"
BL36 (Aotema) on a Schwinn with 36v 20ah Ping
Ezee on rear of a Costo Schwinn with 36v 10ahPing (for the wife)
"She got wheels in her smiles, she can coast along for miles.."

dogman dan
100 GW
100 GW

Post by dogman dan » Tue May 15, 2012 4:17 pm

Finally dragged my sorry ass over there and filled a few easy gaps. Good work those of you who already wrote up the most asked stuff already.

Definitely about time to put it on the top of the main menu page for the noobs to find easy. Now we can keep some stuff updated with edits rather than linking to yet another thread discussing basic lipo care.

Some stuff will just keep evolving too fast to keep up with, but a how to find the dead cell in a lifepo4 bike battery wiki will save all of us tons of time.

leffex
100 W
100 W

Post by leffex » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:02 am

5kw, dh, 85v/65a system.

amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:41 am

More reference material (mostly links to ES posts/threads) has been added recently, to be used as "boilerplate" when answering questions, to save time and frustration, as well as prevent so much duplication of effort and posting.

hillyterrain
100 W
100 W

Post by hillyterrain » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:42 pm

I myself am guilty of asking questions to which I could have most likely found the answer in the wiki .. Is the wiki obviously linked somewhere? Maybe the gigantic endless sphere logo at he enter page should have a gigantic link to the wiki saying, read first, ask later? I literally just found the wiki by manually typing endless-sphere.com/w in the url bar after remembering seeing a sublink to some wiki page, but maybe it's just me and the wiki is obviously linked somewhere?

z50king
10 W
10 W

Post by z50king » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:59 pm

I can write anything about gopeds if you want me to. I know a lot about the history and current models of electric gopeds. I also know a lot about the aftermarket parts, because they're many!! Haha

Let me know how I can help
goped enthusiast

marcexec
1 kW
1 kW

Post by marcexec » Tue May 07, 2013 5:02 pm

z50king wrote:I can write anything about gopeds if you want me to. I know a lot about the history and current models of electric gopeds. I also know a lot about the aftermarket parts, because they're many!! Haha

Let me know how I can help
I'll take you up on that. I just had to google goped and it seems I would call them "Razor-type scooters" :roll: .
Maybe we should start with definitions. You're welcome to PM me.
A motorcyclist is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.
My Suzuki RF400 build: now with Enertrac MHM602 and 6kWh AESC modules protected by a Zephyr BMS
Renault Equation modded to 10S6P recycled laptop 18650s & 1kW controller.
Master of Electric Motor Selection: "Adopt a motor" (PM me if you have trouble editing)
All the gear, all the time!

headwind
10 W
10 W

new editor here

Post by headwind » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:07 am

Just popping in to say "hi" before I start editing. I've got experience editing wikipedia and now that I've got an e-bike build under my belt, thought I'd try to help out with the ES wiki.

Perhaps it would be useful to populate the wiki with info from the FAQ threads?

Also, I'm planning on adding references (mainly links to discussion threads), so that people can see where the wiki summary has come from, and check whether there's any differing opinions about the matter.

Sorry if I break anything! :oops: Hopefully I can help in the cataloging of this wonderful place, because I have received so much from it.
Hybrid commuter: BPM 36V500W rear hub motor, 12S 8Ah LiPo

headwind
10 W
10 W

Post by headwind » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:19 am

Hi, I've added a page for e-bike computers: https://endless-sphere.com/w/index.p ... _Computers

But I wasn't sure if "e-bike computer" is the correct terminology? If not, feel free to rename it. Also, at the moment it has Cycle Analyst and Speedict, are there any other products to add?

headwind
10 W
10 W

Ebay watchit page

Post by headwind » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:24 am

Hi, what do you think about adding a page something like "Watch-its for Ebay e-bikes"?

My intention isn't to poo-poo the sellers/bikes, just provide a list of stuff that people should look out for, especially on the more "budget" kits floating around. For example
- quality of wiring
- kit voltage (there's plenty of 36v kits getting around with unrealistic speed claims)
- battery weight
- replacement cost of propriety batteries
- lack of technical support from the vendor (eg they just resell the stuff and have no idea if something goes wrong)

Do you think it is worth having a wiki page like this?

marcexec
1 kW
1 kW

Re: Ebay watchit page

Post by marcexec » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:11 am

headwind wrote:Hi, what do you think about adding a page something like "Watch-its for Ebay e-bikes"?

My intention isn't to poo-poo the sellers/bikes, just provide a list of stuff that people should look out for, especially on the more "budget" kits floating around. For example
- quality of wiring
- kit voltage (there's plenty of 36v kits getting around with unrealistic speed claims)
- battery weight
- replacement cost of propriety batteries
- lack of technical support from the vendor (eg they just resell the stuff and have no idea if something goes wrong)

Do you think it is worth having a wiki page like this?
Sure.
Guess you might want to expand on https://endless-sphere.com/w/index.php/EBike_Kits.
Maybe add recommended sellers (e.g. EM3EV).
A motorcyclist is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.
My Suzuki RF400 build: now with Enertrac MHM602 and 6kWh AESC modules protected by a Zephyr BMS
Master of Electric Motor Selection: "Adopt a motor" (PM me if you have trouble editing)

headwind
10 W
10 W

Re: Ebay watchit page

Post by headwind » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:08 pm

marcexec wrote:Sure.
Guess you might want to expand on https://endless-sphere.com/w/index.php/EBike_Kits.
Maybe add recommended sellers (e.g. EM3EV).
Thanks, I've added it to that page. Hope what I've written is ok!

marcexec
1 kW
1 kW

Post by marcexec » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:18 pm

Yep, easier to follow now.
Added a few bits on e-Motorcycles today.
Anyone up to BMSs? :)

drmacgyver
100 W
100 W

Post by drmacgyver » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:38 pm

I might be a little late to this thread, but here's my 2 cents:

Start off with the benefits of electric powered vehicles.
Then explain how the process works (from battery ---> wheel). Perhaps a flow chart?
Then get into definitions (amps, watts, ohms, etc...)
Then the different types of e-vehicles (with a diagram of each, showing the general placement of each part).

marcexec
1 kW
1 kW

Post by marcexec » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:53 am

Hmm,
I'd say nearly all people who actually find the wiki in the first place have a basic understanding.
Wikipedia has a few things as well. Sounds more like a presentation or study for a wider audience.
Did you plan to rewrite the main page? :)

Please don't let me discourage you, I'm just thinking of it as an encyclopedia with how-tos, so the flowchart would be brilliant, but don't see where it would fit.

drmacgyver
100 W
100 W

Post by drmacgyver » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:45 am

Ah I gotcha. When I found the forum I was already convinced and ready to build, so an instruction based wiki makes sense. My ideas definitely wouldn't improve on it, as the main page looks great.
In the realm of e-boards, dirkdiggler started an awesome thread that helped me get started: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... 35&t=53506

marcexec
1 kW
1 kW

Post by marcexec » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:36 am

I'd like some input on the table I created before starting to fill it (editing the date can be a pain).
Please have a look at https://endless-sphere.com/w/index.php/BMS_Types and comment on the column headers, guys.
http://liionbms.com/php/bms-selector.php has an example how to have information overkill...