Android/iphone Wifi receiver

dirkdiggler

10 kW
I made a quick vid on the android receiver. As I have said before, if you want something small and portable I would try this out. Grab an old an phone or ipod touch and use that instead of the bulky transmitter. You do want something small enough to grab around, my s3 is too big.
[youtube]-xctjvgMcr0[/youtube]
Sorry no action video - didn't think I could film and drive at the same time.

Neat idea. I feel it's so unsafe though. The amount of times I've fell. My phone would be garbage lol. I like the idea of a small handheld controller. When I get some time, I'm going to take apart my big RC controller and try to fit it in a more handheld controller which can fit in my back pocket. I hate the fact that my current remote does not fit in my pocket. IT SUCKS!

Very cool! I'd be afraid of smashing my phone...but the convenience factor is great!
By the app, I assume you've modified, what looks to be an RC plane receiver?

I haven't been on a skateboard in 20 years...all these eboard posts make me wanna investigate more!

OT... for someone who has, but doesn't skateboard and never long boarded, how similar are the two? Is it something that can be learned fairly quickly? It looks like long boarding seems easier. I'd be afraid of sidewalk cracks and curbs...but I'd love one of these to get to work!

r3volved said:
Very cool! I'd be afraid of smashing my phone...but the convenience factor is great!
By the app, I assume you've modified, what looks to be an RC plane receiver?

I haven't been on a skateboard in 20 years...all these eboard posts make me wanna investigate more!

OT... for someone who has, but doesn't skateboard and never long boarded, how similar are the two? Is it something that can be learned fairly quickly? It looks like long boarding seems easier. I'd be afraid of sidewalk cracks and curbs...but I'd love one of these to get to work!

You'd learn it quickly if you have already skateboarded before. It's pretty much the same thing longboarding is more for distance and riding than tricks. It's a lot more easier than skateboarding and longboarding since you don't have to kick and push as much there isn't much balancing needed except when you are on the board. I've skateboarded before but was never really that good probably because I was younger and didn't give it the time of day. I still don't even know how to stop yet besides using my actual ESC to stop me.

You should get one it's pretty fun. I currently built one and I really only ride it for my commute going to work which is about 1 mile from the train. Occasionally, I'll take it out for lunch and I'm able to go about 3-5 miles out and get back within an hour. It's tons of fun. I don't miss walking that 1 mile stretch with a bit of a steep hill walk at all. I just power ride to work now. I did spend a pretty penny but it's been a ton of fun!

So you only live once I guess...
You convinced me enough to go get a cheap board to at least figure out my balance and basic control :D

Noob can't lose for $80
I just turned 31...I feel like I should have learned this a long time ago. Now I'll have to get my son a board so we can learn together :)

What do you mean by constant wifi? The wifi on the receiver works great and your ipod will only be three feet away. If you are talking signal wise. I would like to see someone try out the ipod touch. The size of that would be perfect. All my phones are 4" or above. I still think the wifi receiver is great for commuters/students that don't want to carry around a huge remote.

If you would need an iPhone app, PM me, I'd be interested to help out. (I make apps as daily work...)

Hello! Sorry to dig up an old thread but thought I would a comment that may lead somewhere. Using a smartphone while riding is not safe due to the phone's ergonomics. Plus it is an expensive multi-purpose device you wouldn't want smashed up when you fall..and we all fall.

Now on to a constructive comment. If a smartwatch could have the interface that would be a whole different story...

kwoolf1 said:
Hello! Sorry to dig up an old thread but thought I would a comment that may lead somewhere. Using a smartphone while riding is not safe due to the phone's ergonomics. Plus it is an expensive multi-purpose device you wouldn't want smashed up when you fall..and we all fall.

Now on to a constructive comment. If a smartwatch could have the interface that would be a whole different story...

If you had a leash for your smartphone, so you would never drop it on the ground, but when you fall your phone would get nicked up...

As for the smartwatch, that would require two hands... unless there is a way to use it with only one hand..

I like the smartphone idea though!

Yeah that would be kind of weird with two hands. I guess you could hang the smartwatch on a lanyard around your neck. lol...smartnecklace?

http://m.hammacher.com/Product/Default.aspx?cm_cat=ProductSEM&cm_pla=AdWordsPLA&source=PRODSEM&gclid=CNG9u4q6kMQCFRSVfgodW14AdA&sku=84249

madz said:
If you would need an iPhone app, PM me, I'd be interested to help out. (I make apps as daily work...)
Wow maybe u could make an app so the volume control could be the control. That sounds better than the interfaces I've seen.the only one I've seen is this that does android and iPhone and it's always sold out:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__21430__Hobbyking_IOS_Android_4CH_WiFi_Receiver.html

Phones are cheap now. I've got a 15$ one already so when I lose or break it again I don't care.
Cheap android:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B9K6ESC/ref=s9_hps_ft_g107_ir01?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=0CH28JPW92VARM1ERNGS&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=1757456362&pf_rd_i=1000876941

If the controls were the real buttons I'd be sold

i personally like the idea.... however i assume the finesse that is achieved when using a trigger on a standard RC controller would not be there... so would need to take it easy...

maybe these things would help >>>>>
UT8c5OFXelXXXagOFbX3.jpg

PLUS a new version of the software custom made especially for Eboards would be good...

In regards to damaging the phone .... honestly who rides and isn't carrying their phone in there pocket anyway.... my phone is always in my pocket... if you come off hard your phone will probably will get damaged unless its in a strong case... how do i know? thats how i destroyed my galaxy note 2.. came off at 45km/h phone smashed...

so if you plan to use this just get a life proof case if your worried about damaging your precious.....

Will any phone that does wifi work? I don't know much about phones but want to get the cheapest one that will work with hobbykings receiver.

Are u still using it dirk?

Back