Kickr - west coast meetup 12/24 - 1/02

sk8norcal

1 MW
update,
kickr is coming out to the west coast,

Hillzofvalp,
" If any of you are in california, I would be willing to meet up around LA or SF from Dec 24th to Jan 2nd"

post up, if you want to test out their ride.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=52820&start=25#p826859

=============

edit,
they are on kickstarter
http://kck.st/1brbnsp

https://www.facebook.com/kickrinc
http://www.nokicking.com

[youtube]r6igaL4q1FI[/youtube]

[youtube]dmOoM1ov5r4[/youtube]

file.php

Attachments

• kickr 2.JPG
    kickr 2.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,785
Looks like a good idea. Quick and easy removal. I too didn't see the controller. I watched both videos and didn't see any signs of anything. His battery case looked good, would rather see it bolted to the deck. Hard to believe he can get 25mph out of that. Also how long does the drive wheel last when it is rubbing against what looks like grip tape.

I watched the USA today interview with one of the creators. He said you activate the motor with a foot pad attached to the strap. I guess it is on or off. Maybe you can vary the speed through less or more foot pressure.

Pretty neat concept.
I couldn't tell how speed was controlled, but i think it would be ideal if it acted as a "cruise-control" for longboards.

Kick to desired speed.
Motor holds that speed.

But then I would also like to see:

- some sort of brake implemented.
- a way to "cock" the drive-wheel mechanism such that it no longer makes contact w/ the wheel.

I think this thing has a good chance of making it.

I just checked their homepage again and they updated the FAQ section. They answer several questions about how it works. They are going to launch a kickstarter campaign in Sept.

We are still ironing out some of the details regarding price but it shouldn't be more than $400. We will be launching our Kickstarter campaign early September, help us spread the word and support us on Kickstarter

There is a sensor on one of the straps. When you rest any part of your foot on it, it will gradually ramp up the speed. When you let off the pad it stops applying additional torque. The motor will freewheel and not contribute to forward motion after you release the throttle. The motor engages when you want it to, but we encourage pushing off from a standstill because most motors don't like to be stalled.

EBJ said:
Pretty neat concept.
I couldn't tell how speed was controlled, but i think it would be ideal if it acted as a "cruise-control" for longboards.

Kick to desired speed.
Motor holds that speed.

But then I would also like to see:

- some sort of brake implemented.
- a way to "cock" the drive-wheel mechanism such that it no longer makes contact w/ the wheel.

I think this thing has a good chance of making it.

I really like the idea of kick to the desired speed, then maintain. To slow down you could use the same thinking and say if the person takes a foot off and touches the ground it will slow down the set point and then maintain again. This would be a natural way to get rid of those pesky wireless controllers

JstSqzd said:
I really like the idea of kick to the desired speed, then maintain. To slow down you could use the same thinking and say if the person takes a foot off and touches the ground it will slow down the set point and then maintain again. This would be a natural way to get rid of those pesky wireless controllers

Or better yet:
Just have the kick-to-speed, and use the "sensing strap" only to apply brakes. I was never any good at taking a foot off the board to brake. But every longboarder knows how to take a foot off to accelerate. :)

PhoShizzy said:
Kickr kickstarter campaign went live today - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/424686603/1916755529?token=cf5296d2

Very cool man, we wish you guys all the best!!

I'm worried about the no-brake feature. It only takes one nasty, well-publicized accident before big-brother starts shutting down the party. It has happened before.

I represent Kickr. Do you guys have an questions that haven't been answered already in our Q and A? The kick to speed feature is something we've long considered. Lots of people would appreciate that from a laziness perspective.

Note that the throttle pad will be mobile on either strap for user-preferred placement.

We'd really like to get Kickr in some ES-users hands because you usually have the most constructive and thoughtful feedback.

We strive to maintain the thrill of downhill longboarding, so braking methods employed are those you would use in your normal routine. You can draw similarities between riding a longboard and riding a fixed gear bicycle with no brakes.

Nice to see you made it, nice concept deserves it. Your goal wasnt that high compared to other companies. I'd volunteer my hands for a kit anytime, just send it to me ;) Got my 2wd to compare it to.

We've decided to implement a new mode which essentially is a kick and cruise concept similar to that mentioned here. Kickr was already bridging the gap between longboarding traditionally and e-boarding.. but with this new "stealth" mode it's even better.

I would love to send you Kickr but we need about 200 more orders for that to be economically feasible ;) I'll post some links I'd appreciate you guys checked out to spread the word about us. Thanks for the feedback so far

[youtube]CWLhud8nKuw[/youtube]

We are going to be adding Stealth Mode (Kick to speed then hold) as well as ground effect LEDs. We have over 60 orders just this past month. We'd really love to have some additional endless-sphere guys as the first Kickr users... as you guys know your hardware pretty well and can help us improve our product. We will make a it a good experience for you.

Anyways, Kickr is just under 400USD. Let us know if you have any questions. Here are some pictures of our current model, but it will be a bit different (for the better) soon after campaign close

You can always back us for $1!! We really need all the help we can get. Please relay the video to your boarding buddies. Thank you

KICKR ON KICKSTARTER ONLY 4 DAYS LEFT: http://bit.ly/KickrKickstarter

Attachments

• render7.jpg
    render7.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 5,323
Hey, hillzofvalp! Love the project! Love the video! I love any video where some new tech is allowed to roam among the public. It is like something from the future just shows up, and glides by as people labor over which condiments for their hot dog. I have been worrying about a hot dog while people were creating that?

I know nothing about skating, perfecting painful falls is my skill level, but best of luck to you and the team.

Back