Alien new build- dual rear mount 42mm -90m flwheels/carbon d

Lightweight / Folding / Portable EVs - seats optional

Alien new build- dual rear mount 42mm -90m flwheels/carbon d

Postby beetbocks » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:29 am

Well I've finally got around to start building the carbon deck large wheel set up I've been wanting to do for a while now!!I'm going to start from the very beginning and document as i go...
test fitting caliber 44deg or 50deg.. well there's a fair bit of wheel bit on the 44deg (silver) so i think ill be going with the 50deg. (white) . it does ride over small children!! lol
notice how tiny the 42mm motors look against the 90mm wheels!!
beetbocks
100 kW
100 kW

Re: Alien new build- dual rear mount 42mm -90m flwheels/carb

Postby Silenthunter » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:20 pm

I doubt that mount is going to hold for a long time.
Silenthunter
1 kW
1 kW

Postby LEVer » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:35 pm

Silenthunter wrote:I doubt that mount is going to hold for a long time.

With a smaller and lighter motor, it probably will. Also, the wheels have more 'thane, lessening the road shock better than a smaller wheel. Still, YMMV.
LEVer
10 kW
10 kW

Postby beetbocks » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:43 pm

Thats just my 3d printed prototype for testing fitment... It will be all in machined 6082 alloy .. I would never dream of using 3d prints on a real part ..
beetbocks
100 kW
100 kW

Postby furp » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:47 pm

Looks nice. Easier to set up than the holey mount. Is it using the same pulleys as the holey 8s setup?

If the mount doesnt hold up by itself, you could use some 2k epoxy which should hold it very well and is easy to access by anyone.

Edit: Just noticed you were refering o th material and not the clamp not lasting long, so forget what I said.
One thing I wonder: How does it feel like, comparing dual rear/front drive to the old diagonal setup?
Last edited by furp on Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total. View post history.
furp
1 kW
1 kW

Postby LEVer » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:55 pm

...that angle and wheel size i think will make it unstable for shorter boards though.
LEVer
10 kW
10 kW

Postby beetbocks » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:55 am

furp wrote:Looks nice. Easier to set up than the holey mount. Is it using the same pulleys as the holey 8s setup?

If the mount doesnt hold up by itself, you could use some 2k epoxy which should hold it very well and is easy to access by anyone.

Edit: Just noticed you were refering o th material and not the clamp not lasting long, so forget what I said.
One thing I wonder: How does it feel like, comparing dual rear/front drive to the old diagonal setup?

Yes it will be compatible with all old Alien drive hubs and pulleys..
I've not really noticed that much difference although you can feel the push pull of the diagonal compared to the pushing of the rear wheel drive..its a bit hard to compare really as the deck is a lot shorter than any of my diagonal set ups- when i've completed this board it will be more a fair comparison.
beetbocks
100 kW
100 kW

Postby beetbocks » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:56 am

Pediglide wrote:...that angle and wheel size i think will make it unstable for shorter boards though.

this set up can be used with 76mm,83mm or the 90mm i'm using - i just wanted to use something different on this build..its for rolling over the rough road's around me..
beetbocks
100 kW
100 kW

Postby beetbocks » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:34 am

well as promised a step by step build diary..
I have taken the unusual step of making the battery box cover at the very beginning as i know the size of the electronics I will be using unlike previous build's where i had to get them all together first and design around it.. I will be using the dual Alien Power systems 42MM rear mounted ,caliber truck mounts ,with dual Alien 120a ESC and 2x 3s lipos for stealth.
so the first step is to design the battery box wooden mold for the vaccuum forming machine- this took about 4 hrs in all
then to machine the mold- this took about 1.5hrs
roughing

Finishing

As you can see it makes a right mess and probably takes as long to clean up as it does machine!!
then the mold is cut from the blank wood,belt sanded then wood filled where the knots in the wood are and a final sand- about 1hr..
then its over to the vacuum forming machine- my favourite bit- i love watching this work!! i will film it next time but i have both hands full with it.. :)
The mold is then roughly trimmed on my coping saw
then its a final trim and sand using my trusty belt sander and of course the irreplaceable Dremmel!!!
I learnt a fair bit about vacuum forming from trail and error and i think this is my best looking one so far -the secret is to form a lip around the edge that you can sand down to..
Its still to be trimmed with a air hole and on/off switch but it 95% finished -I'm just deciding whether to make a base or just use a flat sheet of ABS- hmmmm
so keep watching for the next installment which should be the motors and ESC..
beetbocks
100 kW
100 kW

Postby furp » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:16 am

Awesome! Thanks for sharing the process with us! Can you tell yet how much just the clamp part and two motors would be?

Will you be using the same switch as on your other boards or would a smaller one like on many of the ready made boards work aswell? Someone just told me I could use just about any switch that fits my cables but I cant really believe that :)
furp
1 kW
1 kW

Postby LEVer » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:44 am

mmm...EW Carbon Belly Carver, carbon-look bat case, ABEC11 on white trucks...yumm! I love it, its so posh! :D
LEVer
10 kW
10 kW

Postby beetbocks » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:23 pm

furp wrote:Awesome! Thanks for sharing the process with us! Can you tell yet how much just the clamp part and two motors would be?

Will you be using the same switch as on your other boards or would a smaller one like on many of the ready made boards work aswell? Someone just told me I could use just about any switch that fits my cables but I cant really believe that :)

The caliber drive kit will be around £10 more than the holey kit..
I will be using the kill switch for this set up as I'm only using the 42mm motors - the can only allow around 60a through though so are no good for 63mm set up .
No you cannot just any switch as it has to take the high current that this motors draw.. Just try searching online for 150a switch.. You won't find any.. :(
Bruno is working on a solution,hopefully :D if we can crack it the battery box can be made a lot smaller
beetbocks
100 kW
100 kW

Postby beetbocks » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:25 pm

Pediglide wrote:mmm...EW Carbon Belly Carver, carbon-look bat case, ABEC11 on white trucks...yumm! I love it, its so posh! :D

I know I'm pretty excited about it my self-- it's going to be super light as well and big wheels with a nice flex on the deck..!,, kerb eater!!!
beetbocks
100 kW
100 kW

Postby furp » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:19 pm

beetbocks wrote:
furp wrote:Awesome! Thanks for sharing the process with us! Can you tell yet how much just the clamp part and two motors would be?

The caliber drive kit will be around £10 more than the holey kit..
I will be using the kill switch for this set up as I'm only using the 42mm motors - the can only allow around 60a through though so are no good for 63mm set up .
No you cannot just any switch as it has to take the high current that this motors draw.. Just try searching online for 150a switch.. You won't find any.. :(
Bruno is working on a solution,hopefully :D if we can crack it the battery box can be made a lot smaller

Been looking for switches all over the net at at local companies, but had no luck finding a proper one either. Now I am using a pair of EC5 plugs, basically 5mm bullet cnnectors in a blue plastic housing, which works for the moment but could be more convenient. There are sets for arming switches on Hobbyking and eBay (some even with antispark) but they only use t-plugs which appear to be limited to 50-60A and heat up above that. Besides that, they are a pain to solder!
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__40718__Anodised_Alloy_External_Flight_Battery_Arming_Switch_T_Plug_.html
maybe you could create something similar to that alloy housing, just for better fitting connectors like the EC5 ones or even a pair of 5,5mm bullets in a custom housing?

Spare space could be used for a fuel gauge which would be awesome.
furp
1 kW
1 kW

Postby beetbocks » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:46 am

furp wrote:
beetbocks wrote:
furp wrote:Awesome!

Been looking for switches all over the net at at local companies, but had no luck finding a proper one either. Now I am using a pair of EC5 plugs, basically 5mm bullet cnnectors in a blue plastic housing, which works for the moment but could be more convenient. There are sets for arming switches on Hobbyking and eBay (some even with antispark) but they only use t-plugs which appear to be limited to 50-60A and heat up above that. Besides that, they are a pain to solder!
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__40718__Anodised_Alloy_External_Flight_Battery_Arming_Switch_T_Plug_.html
maybe you could create something similar to that alloy housing, just for better fitting connectors like the EC5 ones or even a pair of 5,5mm bullets in a custom housing?

Spare space could be used for a fuel gauge which would be awesome.

already made something for the bigger ESC- basically the same principle using and Anderson connector- still too bulky and awkward but better and will easily take the current..we need a better solution..
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=47176&start=875
beetbocks
100 kW
100 kW

Postby furp » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:48 am

Oh, must have overlooked that, sorry for the doubling.

Been riding around my rough roaded neighborhood today and had one of the bolts connecting motormount and holeymount vibrate its way out until it was stopped by the wheel pulley. This could be due to one of my motors not running as smooth as the other one and appears louder and creates more vibrations. Gotta find out where this comes from but I am afraid is is the motor. Anyway, just wanted to suggest a little longer bolts on that connection so there might be space to secure them with locknuts.
furp
1 kW
1 kW

Postby beetbocks » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:22 pm

Did you use thread lock liquid? I've ridden all my board over really rough roads and never lost a bolt . You must also check them on a regular basis ..
Last edited by beetbocks on Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total. View post history.
beetbocks
100 kW
100 kW

Postby furp » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:34 pm

I didnt use any so far since I was sure I needed to take it off several times more until my is 'finished'. Gotta get some once I am certain I wont be taking it apart within the next week. Just thought I throw the idea around :)
furp
1 kW
1 kW

Postby beetbocks » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:08 pm

furp wrote:I didnt use any so far since I was sure I needed to take it off several times more until my is 'finished'. Gotta get some once I am certain I wont be taking it apart within the next week. Just thought I throw the idea around :)

Well you could quite easy just put longer bolts in for testing and just put a simple nut ( not lock but)on the back and it will lock against the thread on the bracket . There standard m4 bolts .. Always use a good quality Allen key and it's a very small hex drive and can round quite easily with lots of use ..
Hope this helps ..
beetbocks
100 kW
100 kW

Postby beetbocks » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:46 am

The have finally arrived!! I received the Caliber mounts from my supplier today but due to a miscommunication error -I only have Right Hand ones so a rear dual drive is not possible until they send me the LH brackets.. A dual diagonal or single drive is fine..
I also received the 40T and 44T pulley wheels which again need testing with the 42mm motor/76mm/90mm wheel combo .Im just waiting on a the new motors and a dual 120a ESC from bruno to do that.
I have sent some for anodising and I need to do some test riding,so i hope to have them for sale next week some time.. I'm sorry for the much delayed launch but what look such simple brackets they have been through many changes to enable them to be compatible with all other Alien brackets and be a nice sliding fit on the tapered caliber truck
The final design is about 30 grammes heavier than the very first design I did but they are a lot more robust .
some taster shots of all the motors mounted- 40mm,50mm and 63mm- and once again thanks for your patience
40mm
50mm
63mm
THE TEST BED

90 mm WHEEL ,EASILY CLEARS.
beetbocks
100 kW
100 kW

Postby benj » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:35 am

Great job Beets, they look amazing!
benj
100 W
100 W

Postby beetbocks » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:32 am

well- finally you might say!! I have listed all the caliber mounts on the website now--lots of choice in colour/gear ratios,rear dual mount (only 42mm motor). so as the say - fill your boots..
As usual any questions don't be afraid to ask!!
http://www.aliendrivesystems.com/shop.html
beetbocks
100 kW
100 kW

Postby whilechukwuzout » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:03 am

Yeah man, beautiful work!
whilechukwuzout
100 W
100 W

Postby LEVer » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:26 pm

We want videos! Hopefully with some ethereal music like boosted's. :mrgreen:
LEVer
10 kW
10 kW

Postby beetbocks » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:24 am

Pediglide wrote:We want videos! Hopefully with some ethereal music like boosted's. :mrgreen:

here's a short video on the fitment and alignment of the Caliber bracket- hopefully some more video of the boards in action soon...
beetbocks
100 kW
100 kW

Next

Return to Stand-up E-scooters and E-skateboards