**Compact MBS mounts: The "Ripper" **Now Completed.

Lightweight / Folding / Portable EVs - seats optional
stuntmanmike
1 kW
1 kW

**Compact MBS mounts: The "Ripper" **Now Completed.

Post by stuntmanmike » Nov 09, 2013 3:02 pm

I've had some time to work on this project recently & its coming along pretty well so far. My idea is a two 245kv set up with dual Mamba XL2 esc's & 8s going to both. I want to keep the chains as short as possible for obvious reasons. The mounts I'm using are Alien Drive 63mm which I bought extra's for the larger motors over the summer when I got the kit(when you could still get it here in the U.S).
I got an MBS Comp 95 pro with a brake kit, I had no intentions on using the brakes but I did use the brake rotors as backing plates and the hardware for mounting the sprockets to the wheels, which turned out nicely. For the truck mount I wanted to use the existing holes on the trucks which would normally be used for the brake kit. Instead I machined a piece of 7075 round aluminum stock to accommodate the irregular casting of the truck. So with a lot of filing and fitting I got it to slide over the truck like a "donut hole". The hardest part was machining the area where the motor mount itself sits. I had a friend help me with a cnc machine & we cut a slot that fits the Alien mount perfectly. I'm using a #25 chain & sprockets, 13t up front & 55t at the wheels, this should be pretty fast I think. That small chain is really hard to break even with the chain breaker tool which seems to do more damage than good on the smaller ones. So I've resorted to a Dremmel & center punch which works almost too well.
Here are some progress pics, I'll update as I get more done.
photo(3).JPG
photo(3).JPG (115.89 KiB) Viewed 4292 times
photo(9).JPG
photo(9).JPG (130.19 KiB) Viewed 4292 times
photo(6).JPG
photo(6).JPG (65.02 KiB) Viewed 4292 times
photo(2).JPG
photo(2).JPG (105.78 KiB) Viewed 4292 times
photo 1(1).JPG
photo 1(1).JPG (95.77 KiB) Viewed 4292 times
photo 3(1).JPG
photo 3(1).JPG (127.97 KiB) Viewed 4292 times
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (122.76 KiB) Viewed 4292 times
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (125.23 KiB) Viewed 4292 times
photo(8).JPG
photo(8).JPG (125.79 KiB) Viewed 4292 times
Last edited by stuntmanmike on Dec 29, 2013 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lone_deranger
10 W
10 W

Re: Compact truck/motor mount for MBS suspension trucks

Post by lone_deranger » Nov 09, 2013 3:27 pm

Nice work, looking good.

stuntmanmike
1 kW
1 kW

Post by stuntmanmike » Nov 09, 2013 4:47 pm

lone_deranger wrote:Nice work, looking good.
Thanks man.

daverobson08
100 W
100 W

Post by daverobson08 » Nov 09, 2013 5:10 pm

That's great, I love how compact the whole thing is. How does the truck mount tighten onto the truck? Have you used a grub screw as well as the irregular shape of the truck?

stuntmanmike
1 kW
1 kW

Post by stuntmanmike » Nov 09, 2013 6:48 pm

daverobson08 wrote:That's great, I love how compact the whole thing is. How does the truck mount tighten onto the truck? Have you used a grub screw as well as the irregular shape of the truck?
I'm using the existing hole that's in the truck already which is threaded for a single 8mm hex bolt. I countersunk that area on the truck mount so it screws in flush & It's kinda wedged also so it should hold....I hope.
This is what I mean:
Attachments
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (84 KiB) Viewed 4272 times
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (77.18 KiB) Viewed 4272 times
photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG (98.35 KiB) Viewed 4272 times
photo(2).JPG
photo(2).JPG (118.4 KiB) Viewed 4272 times

Camineet
100 W
100 W

Post by Camineet » Nov 09, 2013 10:56 pm

Would this mount happen to work for MBS non-suspension trucks like on the MBS Comp 90?

Would you happen to be able to make and sell me a set?

Jonboy
1 kW
1 kW

Post by Jonboy » Nov 10, 2013 5:21 am

Hey stuntman.. thats looking great I like how close you got the motor to the truck, that's how I'd like to build my next one... Keep us updated!

:)

daverobson08
100 W
100 W

Post by daverobson08 » Nov 10, 2013 7:19 am

stuntmanmike wrote: I'm using the existing hole that's in the truck already which is threaded for a single 8mm hex bolt. I countersunk that area on the truck mount so it screws in flush & It's kinda wedged also so it should hold....I hope.
Nice, I wondered whether you had used the brake hole. I wanted to do something similar for my MBS Vectors but I've decided to weld it instead. I hope it works for you. Is it a pretty tight fit even without the bolt? Can't see why it would come free with some threadlock on it.

stuntmanmike
1 kW
1 kW

Post by stuntmanmike » Nov 10, 2013 9:43 am

daverobson08 wrote:
stuntmanmike wrote: I'm using the existing hole that's in the truck already which is threaded for a single 8mm hex bolt. I countersunk that area on the truck mount so it screws in flush & It's kinda wedged also so it should hold....I hope.
Nice, I wondered whether you had used the brake hole. I wanted to do something similar for my MBS Vectors but I've decided to weld it instead. I hope it works for you. Is it a pretty tight fit even without the bolt? Can't see why it would come free with some threadlock on it.
I'll thread lock every bolt once the whole thing comes together. It's a tight enough fit on the truck where it can't move side to side. I was thinking of adding a needle bolt at the front side of the mount to fine tune the chain path if need be. I'll work all of that out once it's completed.

stuntmanmike
1 kW
1 kW

Post by stuntmanmike » Nov 10, 2013 10:18 am

[quote="Jonboy"]Hey stuntman.. thats looking great I like how close you got the motor to the truck, that's how I'd like to build my next one... Keep us updated!

Thanks, I will.
Last edited by stuntmanmike on Nov 11, 2013 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

stuntmanmike
1 kW
1 kW

Post by stuntmanmike » Nov 10, 2013 10:22 am

Camineet wrote:Would this mount happen to work for MBS non-suspension trucks like on the MBS Comp 90?

Would you happen to be able to make and sell me a set?

Dude, I got 2 small babies, a puppy and a business, it took me 3 months to do this much. It's definitely a prototype at this point & I'd like to really fine tune it & abuse it, to be sure it holds up before I would sell. But thanks for the interest. Maybe in the new year I'll offer a kit, providing it works well.
My advise to you is read through all these threads, ask questions and come up with a cohesive plan, draw it, then start acquiring the materials. Also buying a kit and building an electric longboard first, this is how I did it, this is my 5th build and hardest yet.
Again thanks for you interest.
Mike

stuntmanmike
1 kW
1 kW

Post by stuntmanmike » Nov 12, 2013 9:29 pm

**Updates**
I completed & added the 2nd motor & chain assembly to the truck & laid it on the deck to see how it looks. I'll have to figure a way to get the chains to tension equally but that shouldn't be too hard. So far so good..
Attachments
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (99.33 KiB) Viewed 4125 times
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (100.67 KiB) Viewed 4125 times
photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG (142.32 KiB) Viewed 4125 times
photo(2).JPG
photo(2).JPG (150 KiB) Viewed 4125 times
photo(3).JPG
photo(3).JPG (138.04 KiB) Viewed 4125 times
photo 5.JPG
photo 5.JPG (135.02 KiB) Viewed 4125 times

torqueboards
1.21 GW
1.21 GW

Post by torqueboards » Nov 12, 2013 10:53 pm

That big motor bracket must end up weighing a lot, especially with two? Is there a reason why, you choose to make it so big?
DIYElectricSkateboard.com Electric Skateboard Kits

stuntmanmike
1 kW
1 kW

Post by stuntmanmike » Nov 13, 2013 6:13 am

torqueboards wrote:That big motor bracket must end up weighing a lot, especially with two? Is there a reason why, you choose to make it so big?
That's the truck your looking at I think. My mounts are circular at the wheels and they're pretty light actually like less than a pound each. The MBS trucks Are very strong and robust unlike long board types which are lighter and thinner.

benj
100 W
100 W

Post by benj » Nov 13, 2013 8:19 am

Great work on those mounts, they look very good. Just wondered if you had considered flipping them, so the motors go underneath the deck? Is there a problem with flex/clearance?

stuntmanmike
1 kW
1 kW

Post by stuntmanmike » Nov 13, 2013 8:49 am

benj wrote:Great work on those mounts, they look very good. Just wondered if you had considered flipping them, so the motors go underneath the deck? Is there a problem with flex/clearance?
Thank you,
I tapped & drilled holes on the other side also, so yes they can go underneath & clear the deck.. I was gonna do that first but then I thought, being a mountain board it needs clearance from rocks and what not. Where I live there's a mountain bike trail network(over 100 miles) called the "Green-belt" , I intend on using this there.

Camineet
100 W
100 W

Post by Camineet » Nov 19, 2013 12:31 am

I managed to get motor mounts and sprockets from another forumer dirkdiggler. He really hooked me up. The sprockets are just like yours and I have the MBS white wheels too. Actually my whole board is the exact same as yours.

Would you mind giving some more details of how you assembled the sprockets and wheels with those long screws and pink nuts?

I guess there's some kind of spacers needed to make the whole thing work? I can see you've got a group of items in the bowl ready to go together, but I can't see clearly enough what the items are other than the screws and nuts.

Would you mind telling the specific sizes of the spacers and where you found them?

stuntmanmike
1 kW
1 kW

Post by stuntmanmike » Nov 19, 2013 10:27 am

Camineet wrote:I managed to get motor mounts and sprockets from another forumer dirkdiggler. He really hooked me up. The sprockets are just like yours and I have the MBS white wheels too. Actually my whole board is the exact same as yours.

Would you mind giving some more details of how you assembled the sprockets and wheels with those long screws and pink nuts?

I guess there's some kind of spacers needed to make the whole thing work? I can see you've got a group of items in the bowl ready to go together, but I can't see clearly enough what the items are other than the screws and nuts.

Would you mind telling the specific sizes of the spacers and where you found them?
Nice! Sorry I couldn't build them for you...
Do you have the brake kit ? You'll need it to do it the way I did. Otherwise the "hot glue" method which others have done will work best. Let me know & I'll write this up for you step by step.

Camineet
100 W
100 W

Post by Camineet » Nov 19, 2013 10:40 am

hey thanks for your reply. I don't have the brake kit, so I guess I should use hot glue. I hadn't thought of that. dirkdiggler wrote to me in an email the following...

So to attach the sprockets to the wheels, you will need to get five longer screws of what the wheels originally have and five spacers. The sprockets need to be a bit off the wheels so you have room for the chain.

Based on that, and the fact that I have the same sprockets as you (I think - mine are black), I thought I'd be using the exact same screw and spacer setup you're using. If the consensus is that the hot glue method is best, then I guess I should go with that. I have no idea what that is. Is there a thread with a discussion on it? Can I get away with the screw and spacer method? I don't have a glue gun.

Anyway, thanks so far for helping me through this part of the project.

stuntmanmike
1 kW
1 kW

Post by stuntmanmike » Nov 19, 2013 10:52 am

It should be pretty easy with the with the white wheels. Ill measure the screws for you tonight , the spacers will only need to be around 1/4" or so, I think.

Camineet
100 W
100 W

Post by Camineet » Nov 19, 2013 11:17 am

oh thanks a lot. as long as I have an idea of what I'm doing, I should be able to fill in the blanks.

Mainly, I don't really know how many spacers I need. Like, do they go on both sides of the wheels under the nuts? Are there any washers involved here? Stuff like that.

You know how when you buy something that you have to assemble that includes instructions on how to put the screws together you can see it all expanded in the instructions on the paper? I think it's called an exploded view. I just need some help understanding the same kind of thing you'd get if you could see an exploded view. Any simple explanation you can write to give me the basics of the sequence of screws, nuts, and spacers would be greatly appreciated. I know you're busy so I don't want to trouble you. Thanks again.

made_in_the_alps_legacy
10 kW
10 kW

Post by made_in_the_alps_legacy » Nov 19, 2013 11:26 am

Very nice built !
...some of the material might not contribute much to the effort but gives u some space to put stickers on :twisted:

stuntmanmike
1 kW
1 kW

Post by stuntmanmike » Nov 19, 2013 3:48 pm

made_in_the_alps_legacy wrote:Very nice built !
...some of the material might not contribute much to the effort but gives u some space to put stickers on :twisted:
A little shameless promotion :wink:

stuntmanmike
1 kW
1 kW

Post by stuntmanmike » Nov 19, 2013 7:10 pm

Camineet wrote:hey thanks for your reply. I don't have the brake kit, so I guess I should use hot glue. I hadn't thought of that. dirkdiggler wrote to me in an email the following...

So to attach the sprockets to the wheels, you will need to get five longer screws of what the wheels originally have and five spacers. The sprockets need to be a bit off the wheels so you have room for the chain.

Based on that, and the fact that I have the same sprockets as you (I think - mine are black), I thought I'd be using the exact same screw and spacer setup you're using. If the consensus is that the hot glue method is best, then I guess I should go with that. I have no idea what that is. Is there a thread with a discussion on it? Can I get away with the screw and spacer method? I don't have a glue gun.

Anyway, thanks so far for helping me through this part of the project.
Hey man,
The screws you need are 4mm x 55mm long. If you have a True value hardware store near you, they'll most definitely have these and the spacers. Always buy more than you need, different lengths sizes etc.
Check out this company for screw assortments which come in handy for almost everything related to these projects:
http://www.hexcrews.com/
Be sure to take pics of your build.

Camineet
100 W
100 W

Post by Camineet » Nov 20, 2013 1:59 pm

Hey thanks pal that'll get me well on my way. I figure I'll take my sprocket and a wheel to the hardware store and fiddle faddle around until I've got the right set of screws and whatnots.

Yes, I'll start a build thread once I get past these little idiosyncratic aspects of getting the 'not able to be purchased off-the-shelf' aspects of the board handled. I've already got my mounts from dirkdiggler installed, with my first pics of that blank template ready to be posted. When I'm in the actual shopping phase, I'll start a build thread and be posting what kinds of batteries and such I'm considering.

Looking forward to the fun of shiny new toys such as ESCs and motors arriving. Although I will admit, if I had $1600 I'd just buy an assembled EMB from one of those companies doing it. I'm not really an electric toy enthusiast, but a kiteboarder looking for a gap filler. And I'm willing to do whatever it takes within reason to make an EMB. I figure it will be so great as a gap filler - like on days when I can't torch a 4 or 5 hour block for going kiting at the beach 40 minutes away, or when there's just no wind. I can pop out to a local park 5 minutes away or even just in my back yard for an hour long EMB session. I'm really excited about this.