EcoReco scooter on kickstarter

sk8norcal

1 MW
edit, same company that designed the egret one.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=40445&hilit=+egret

http://tiltingvehicles.blogspot.com/2011/10/lightweight-electric-standup-scooter.html

36v 8ah lifepo4
37 lbs
claims 20 mph top speed
claims 23 miles per charge
brushless rear hubmotor with hall sensors

starting at $750
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1107065803/ecoreco-m3-state-of-the-art-last-mile-electric-veh?ref=live

eco reco
http://www.ecorecoscooter.com/

Egret
http://www.egret.de/

XTA Phantom
http://www.extremetoys.com.au/scooters/scooters/phantom.html

patgear
http://www.patgears.com

a7bc8ece34259ed37daaba8ff8d47bbb_large.jpg

[youtube]W2yeKxjJLqk[/youtube]

[youtube]54vULTl7tXg[/youtube]

under commments on KS,

Creator EcoReco Corp. 1 day ago
Hi, Charles, don't make the judgement too quickly before you get all the facts. We are the spin-off company from the original Taiwanese manufacturer/designer. Egret team is a good friend who licenses the reference design, and handles the distribution in Europe. However, since the establishment of EcoReco, we have put in a lot efforts in improving the earlier reference design, and made substantial modifications to make it suitable for the US market. We are the legit maker and seller of this product in the US.

Charles Liebert 1 day ago
Wow, your EcoReco is just a total Copy (in every details) of the Egret One...
I own one, and know the Team (In Germany) behind it.
Not sure your project will stay long on Kickstater...

Hi, Sk8norcal,

Thanks for your post, and letting all users know about our KickStarter project.

2 things I just would like to clarify:
1. The original design is from a Taiwanese designer/manufacturer, not Chinese. We have done the R&D ourselves, conducted hundreds of testing and customer research, and obtained IPs around the world.
2. The "chinese version with air tire in front"(OFly) is from a copycat that shamelessly took our scooter and copied all our patented folding mechanisms and motor-mounted structure. A legal action has been taken and their manufacturing and distribution hopefully would be stopped soon.

We are a group of people trying to bring the most practical and affordable last mile solution to the market.
EcoReco is based in San Jose and is in the process of setting up retail and after-sales network to support our customers. We will learn from our US customers and continue to innovate and improve our already solid product.

If you are interested in getting a test unit for review, please contact me @ jay.sung@ecorecoscooter.com. I saw that you are also based in San Jose.
I would be glad if I can meet you in person and learn from your experience.

Look forward to hearing back from you.
Thanks.

Sincerely,
Jay

I like standup scooters, good luck!

btw, you have a typo on this page about the motor - http://ecorecoscooter.com/feature-3/

The text reads "bruchless" motor.

Lemme know if you want a tester in NYC?

Ykick said:
I like standup scooters, good luck!

btw, you have a typo on this page about the motor - http://ecorecoscooter.com/feature-3/

The text reads "bruchless" motor.

Lemme know if you want a tester in NYC?

Thanks for catching it, YKick. Will change it right away.

We would love to work with you.
Please feel free to send me an email, and let's arrange the way to cooperate.
You can also pledge the $5 level on our Kickstarter page if you don't mind, so it's easy for me to track and communicate with you.

Cheers,
Jay

Thanks to Jay from EcoReco for the test ride.
We were doing the test ride on the campus of a local community college.

Pretty cool ride.
It looks bigger in person than from just looking at online pics.
That's good cause I am 5'11" and don't like scooter with too short wheelbase.
Build quality looks good,
The folding mechanism looks slick.

Smooth acceleration.
Good umph from the rear hub motor to get up inclines.
speedy enough when sidewalk cruising.
You do need to give the scooter a push before the throttle activates.
I think they do it as a safety feature.
Personally I would rather not have that feature.

I suggested to Jay some grip was needed for the deck, and more width.

Single rear brake was effective, went down a steep hill.
(personally I would like to have the brake lever on the right hand side like a bicycle)

The non-pneumatic tires were fine on smooth surface but gets annoying on rough aggregate sidewalks.
Jay mentions possible future option of air tires.

Overall, its a nice compact scooter.

Hi, Sk8norcal,

I forgot to mention that the safe-start feature you prefer not to have is actually very easy to enable/disable by a plug connector underneath the foot deck.
We enable it by default because most people are not a long-tenured long-boarder like you. ;)

Thanks for showing up and testing our scooter.

Cheers,
Jay

ER,
I ordered one on your KS, and went back today to order one more for my bride but KS had kicked you off for some reason (?). What happened?

Just met with Jay and picked up TWO from him. (I'm gonna surprise the wifey on Sunday)

Jay is super nice gent, and Scoots are BEAUTIFUL to look at-after un-boxing them. I'll report back after Sunday....

Hi guys,

I've got one of these from extremetoys.com.au

Anyone know where I can buy tyres for it? Some friends kids decided to do skids and now its got a flat spot :evil:

Cheers
Troy

Hi to all.

You have a great topic here. I would like to join.
Let me introduce myself: my name is Peter, I'm from Russia and I'm the owner of original Patgear electric scooter (2012-2013 model, without rear suspension). As I see M3 = Patgear 2012 and M5 = Patgear 2014 model.
Here is my blog about the device http://vk.com/patgear. It's in russian but you still can watch some videos or use a translation provided by Google.
My odometer says it's about 1400 km passed since the beginning. So, if you have a question about the subject - please ask. 8)

PS. I drive even at winter, my current personal record is -16.6 C.

Any updates on the scooter test rides in NYC? I'd love to test ride a unit myself.

EDIT: I've reached out to EcoReco FB fan Page, and they've responded that yes, the scooter can be test ridden through NYCE Wheels, attached is a screenshot of the NYCE Wheels EcoReco page.

Screenshot_2014-05-22-10-56-31.png

Screenshot_2014-05-22-11-04-50.png

I actually recommend this one for a friend. It's an awesome machine but if your looking for a hill climber - it's definitely not in. Flat ground riding this thing works and is quick but can barely climb the smallest of hills. Gets to 20mph on flat ground quick though.

wow, i had no idea e-scooters have so much competition.
here's another 1 from singapore for about the same price of $1100

http://www.zoom.sg/product/zoomair2/

I just picked up an ecoreco scooter M5 based, in part, on this forum post. While other scooters looked interesting, they seemed to be just coming out, and as a previous owner of a go motorboards 1500x, I didn't want to go through that horrible experience again. Not sure if I should start a new topic, but I thought I'd give my initial thoughts.

I had an invitation code, which gave me $50 off a scooter. But it didn't work when I chose a package. So I called and talked to Jay and he personally assured me that if I noted it in the order, it would be applied on the package deal. This was last friday. I thought it over and actually went to a local shop who carried these, but they only had them on display, locked down to the display shelf. Not much help there. So I ended up placing my order on saturday. It shipped on Monday and arrive today (tuesday). I didn't receive any confirmation of the code being applied, so will follow up if I don't see it by week's end.

The double box the scooter came in was a bit hefty, so I was afraid it might have gotten banged around by UPS. But no, Ecoreco had packaged it pretty well with padding and lock ties in all the right places. No damage out of the box. A second box contained the other package item deals which were just placed in the box.

My first impression was that this thing is built like a tank. Even so, I had a roll of non-slip grip which I added to the bottom and the deck. Just the week before I had been trying out a Xootr for my 2 mile post commuter train commute, and there we scratches on the sides and bottom, and I wanted to put off these cosmetic flaws as long as possible. When putting on the grip, I found that the kick stand and the rubber bumper under the front of the deck would probably stop a lot of these types of scratches, which occurred when I was setting up and breaking down the Xootr outside the train station on the concrete.

I thought Xooter construction was nice, but the Ecoreco M5 feels like the Mercedes Benz of scooters (or should that be a BMW?). At first I only rode it on the sidewalk which was so smooth compared to the Xooter with padded weight gloves on. Then I though, "What the heck, try to road", something I'd never do with the Xooter. No gloves, it was such a pleasant ride, I am VERY glad I went with the M5 with the extra suspension in the rear. If anyone says an Ecoreco scooter is a rough ride, it must be because the are on a M3 and haven't tried an M5. (I was weary after watching some youtube video comparing the too, but the M5 is very easy to ride on the road or sidewalk, unlike a Xootr).

I am liking my grip strips on the deck of the M5 as it makes it feel really stable when I push the scooter. To be honest, since I've never ridden on without the grips, I guess this isn't an informed opinion. Since work shoes are often smooth soles and not as grippy as sneaker, I do think this will be a good "mod". I am waiting to see how these hold up to daily use, especially when I break it down and reassemble - I hope I don't scrape my knuckles or hands on them while working the breakdown levers.

Although the gauge went to 25mph, I was mainly cruising at 15mph and pushed it up to close to 20mph before I chickened out and stopped looking. I went about 1.6 miles and stopped my test. We'll see how it fares during tomorrow's commute of 2 miles. I don't plan to charge it tonight, but will charge it after the morning commute.

So that's it for now. Recap: I took the plunge based on all the reviews and youtube videos I could find. Having had a go motorboards 1500x, and a Xootr, I think I've found the perfect solution, but ONLY if it last at least 3 years before needed a battery change. Based on my usage, I'm thinking it should go 5 years. So I'll try to keep updating this until it dies a premature and horrible death (like my 1500x), or until the first battery change.

-J

Update:

While this is a dream to ride in the city, the 35lb is a bit hefty. The carry case does make it easier to carry around, but I wish it wore like a backpack instead of a messenger bag. I didn't get a chance to do the first full charge it since the instructions say to discharge until the scooter auto shuts down in the first two uses.

In the morning commute, I saw another ecoreco user with the M5 and caught up with him at a light. Turns out he's been using it for 6 months with only one slight problem due to not tightening the handle screw enough; I'll be keeping that one in mind. I actually rode a few blocks not having activated the lock lever for the handle in the upright position; thankfully nothing happened. He sped off and I was unable to keep up since I'm not yet comfortable riding this at top speed. It is fast, and rides very smoothly.

With the 50% factory charge, I was able to go 6.5 miles and there's still some juice left. This wasn't at 100% power 100% of the time, but I do believe now that their 15 mile range is probably reasonable. Can't comment on a 20 mile range.

I'll comment again after the first full charge and full discharge.

FYI, if someone is intereted in purchasing an ecoreco scooter, they should find someone who has one and ask for that person's invitation code. It will give you a discount (currently at $50 for a scooter) and also give that person some store credit.

I have been told that I am not allowed to list my code on my posts since the store credit I'd receive is considered a kickback. I don't agree but I can respect this policy. Trying to get an invite code to apply to my own order was toibkeosme for myself. FYI, after I emailed Ecoreco customer service yesterday evening, they did apply my discount code to my order last night, but wouldn't allow the 2nd free shipping code.

Hopefully my posts here are helpful, but for now, I'll be posting my user experience updates elsewhere. I will post any mechanical or electronic problems that arise, and anything else that might have a more significant impact on someone's decision to buy one of these things.

Thanks,
-J

I just completed an in-depth review of the newer S3 model. For those who are interested, hopefully you find this helpful: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=82968

Back