Alien Drive Systems- new Urban commuter build

beetbocks

10 kW
Here's the newest idea from the Alien Workshop ..a pneumatic tyred drop deck board for use on rough roads and pavements etc so hopefully perfect for getting to work.
I didn't want it to be a mountain board so its got smaller 125mm diameter tyres from a road ski..its based on the a 3/4" drop deck and 44deg caliber Truck so its as low as you can get with this size wheel and first impression are pretty good its so smooth over uneven pavements etc and its still easily picked and carried on the bus etc..
.My electronics have just arrive today so ill get on with that soon..
IMG_1651_zps0e5d554b.jpg

IMG_1650_zpsbba9692c.jpg

As I intend to go up and down kerbs and pavements a lot- Im trying out a rear Caliber mount and some ABS covers to really make it rugged for everyday use..I may mix the configuration..Ill try dual rear and Diagonal drive - with front mount and rear mount,,so many possibilities..
IMG_1646_zps13b3eba6.jpg

IMG_1643_zps0b782fc8.jpg

IMG_16371_zpscda67fb5.jpg

Cover molds in foam
IMG_1652_zps2f3e613f.jpg

Ive got loads of great ideas for the LED mounts and grab handle and loads more stuff- so ill keep you all posted..

I'm also working on a Brushless Stunt scooter that I will machine from scratch and its well on its way already - I intend to use the same wheels as this Urban commuter..
design stage
scooter125mtyre_zpsc21f8de3.jpg

and the deck finished..
IMG_1638_zpsbd0ed1ae.jpg

I like how you keep working on new stuff. Its awesome that your pushing ideas out into the world.

Keep up the good work beetbocks

To bad you can't get that deck to sit lower. Looks bit to high to be comfortable. But I guess your not foot pushing.

Maybe go with drop through deck OR Get the jig saw out!

onloop said:
To bad you can't get that deck to sit lower. Looks bit to high to be comfortable. But I guess your not foot pushing.

Maybe go with drop through deck OR Get the jig saw out!
I tried a drop through but you cannot mount the motors ..I could maybe find a lower drop deck but as you say your not foot pushing and it actually feels pretty low really - compared to say a 90mm Abec wheel.
its a prototype and I also don't intend to be really pushing high speeds -i just want to be able to get over a pea in the road without been thrown off the front!! lol

Awesome, I also really like the ABS parts. What are you thinking about motor heat dissipation because it seems like you'll cover it up completely?

Murfix said:
Awesome, I also really like the ABS parts. What are you thinking about motor heat dissipation because it seems like you'll cover it up completely?
Well as i say its a prototype so ill have to see how it goes..but the covers are actually cut away at the bottom so its not full enclosing it.. see Right hand side one..that's cut..
Im already working on Version 2 of the covers!! lol-it never stops!!
IMG_16531_zps2bebec2d.jpg

IMG_16371_zpscda67fb5.jpg

How did you get your mounts to set in that configuration? from what i can tell youd have to modify the current truck mount or reverse the truck to get it to do that.

And why cant you mount the motors like that on a drop through deck?

Ive made some 'special reverse caliber mounts- which i may make available..and yes i probably could use a drop thru with this set up but the motors would be very near the deck..but I've decided to go with a diagonal drive on this board as it far more rideable ..and is far better for grip and after some experiment up and down kerbs etc i am going to put the front motor behind the truck so its protected which means i cannot use a drop thru deck..
I've just finished the 60t drive pulley for the Jenex wheel ..lovely and lightweight!!
IMG_1666_zpsc8dd421a.jpg

IMG_1665_zpscdd0246a.jpg

beetbocks said:
Ive made some 'special reverse caliber mounts- which i may make available..and yes i probably could use a drop thru with this set up but the motors would be very near the deck. I am going to put the front motor behind the truck so its protected which means i cannot use a drop thru deck..

Yea i stupidly bought a drop through deck and i think the only way i could use that deck is with those reverse mounts, i dont mind that they arent protected just need them to be out and away from under the board.

flex3269 said:
beetbocks said:
Ive made some 'special reverse caliber mounts- which i may make available..and yes i probably could use a drop thru with this set up but the motors would be very near the deck. I am going to put the front motor behind the truck so its protected which means i cannot use a drop thru deck..

Yea i stupidly bought a drop through deck and i think the only way i could use that deck is with those reverse mounts, i dont mind that they arent protected just need them to be out and away from under the board.
i've just machined a prototype- 'drop' deck motor bracket..it will be universal so can be used on the standard ADS caliber mount.so you can drop that deck!!!
..i'll have test it and hopefully have them available soon..
IMG_16861_zps361e4eec.jpg

benj said:
Looks great, nice work again. I would love to see how those wheels and deck ride
yeah me too- but its really getting into winter weather now so its either raining or dark!!
Ill do my best to get a ride on it - i have ridden it just down the hill and its really smooth over the bumps

[/quote]
i've just machined a prototype- 'drop' deck motor bracket..it will be universal so can be used on the standard ADS caliber mount.so you can drop that deck!!!
..i'll have test it and hopefully have them available soon..
IMG_16861_zps361e4eec.jpg
[/quote]

NICE! Now is that meant to be used for under the deck or out the back like you have on this urban board? and can you use it with the regular wheels like 76mm, 83mm etc?

you can use it on any of the caliber mounts even the holey mount ..
I suppose you could use it on the rear mount and have it facing up instead..maybe..i will have to check that..

I'm using a fairly similar deck and wheels in my build at the moment and am considering mounting the trucks in the 'double-drop' method and having the motors sit above the deck like this:

2tpA0sX.png

(red represents motor mount)

I think I would prefer this to a rear mounted setup. It all depends on how tight the trucks are and whether the deck fouls motors. At least they would be away from kerbs though.

beetbocks said:
I suppose you could use it on the rear mount and have it facing up instead..maybe..i will have to check that..

Oh ok so it is meant for under the deck regularly mounted , it just gives the clearance for a drop through deck gotcha. Id love to see a pic of it setup if you can get one. and im sure it would work great with the rear mount to you would just have to flip the caliber cutout on your mount because as it sits now it would be angled directly towards the ground .

daverobson08 said:
I'm using a fairly similar deck and wheels in my build at the moment and am considering mounting the trucks in the 'double-drop' method and having the motors sit above the deck like this:

2tpA0sX.png

(red represents motor mount)

I think I would prefer this to a rear mounted setup. It all depends on how tight the trucks are and whether the deck fouls motors. At least they would be away from kerbs though.

Cool idea but I wouldn't want to stand on that deck unless the motors are covered (safety...)

flex3269 said:
beetbocks said:

Oh ok so it is meant for under the deck regularly mounted , it just gives the clearance for a drop through deck gotcha. Id love to see a pic of it setup if you can get one. and im sure it would work great with the rear mount to you would just have to flip the caliber cutout on your mount because as it sits now it would be angled directly towards the ground .
yes thats right..exactly what i was thinking..
IMG_1687_zps23d14eda.jpg

Its all coming together now,Ive just to solder all the electronics and build the housing and then i will try all the different configurations on it- dual front/dual rear or diagonal..#
IMG_1688_zps75875047.jpg

IMG_1690_zpsdec78c20.jpg

IMG_1691_zps2b6db352.jpg

Great setup. I like how everything fits on longboard trucks. Can easily swap wheels to enjoy a more rugged ride. Considering most of the other "production" companies for electric skateboards are simply doing a "switch trucks" type thing. I like these wheels. I would think it would be easier to switch wheels since you would have to re-position the belt with the motor pulley anyways.

Yes that's the idea but it rides pretty nice with these wheels ..
I have designed and machined to have the same offset as the skate wheel .. So it's a simple wheel swap and belt change ..; ( the ratio is different u see)

Back