Wireless Wii Nunchuck *TESTERS WANTED

Prototype Wii Receiver

Hey guys. I'm sure, everyone is looking to get rid of that big brick as a controller. Austindavid has a wiireceiver that will end up getting made into a printed board once the final design is decided on.

Wii Receiver Pricing
$25 option - bag o parts + schematic, solder your own, BYO nunchuck
$40 option - Plug and play and you can purchase a Nyko Kama nunchuck from Amazon for about $5 bucks.

austindavid said:
Software: https://github.com/jaustindavid/wiiceiver
Schematic: http://www.digikey.com/schemeit#t9g

austindavid said:
Hi guys- I am developing this "wiiceiver." I'll publish the software, parts list, and schematic once it settles down. Hardware is final, software still has some issues. It needs external power, an integrated BEC or separate one are fine. Plug in the ESC (and separate BEC if needed), attach a nunchuck, and it's just like an RC remote. "Plug and play."

The core is an ATmega328 and operates like a standalone Arduino; it has a header for TX, RX, RESET, and can take power / gnd from an Arduino Uno for USB interaction -- so you can use serial, reprogram it, whatever. It works just like an Uno. Drmacgyver: you can program the "C" button to do whatever you like, as long as you already have an Uno.

Right now they're assembled very manually, on a soldered breadboard. Very time-consuming. I'm making a small number by hand just to get more users on the setup, and if there's need for more I'll get PCBs printed. For now I've got enough parts on hand to make the two that exist, and I've ordered parts to build a few more pre-production units. If there's interest in a kit ("bag o parts"), all you need is a solder iron and a nunchuck.

I've been working with torqueboards for my own setup, and hopefully my own monstrous AT will be rolling tonight.

It's a simple plug and play option and works pretty well. We are looking for people who would like to test them and put some miles on their board that way we can work out all the kinks with the software and fix these issues. It's a custom board not using a typical arduino board. In the future, we plan on having a LCD display on it and maybe adding some other features. If anyone has any ideas for added features - let us know.

electric-skateboard-wireless-nunchuck-prototype.jpg

Reading a few previous posts there were issues with Nyko Kama's failover wouldn't just turn off and coast. This wiireceiver when it looses connection it will just coast like a typical RC controller.

Wii Receiver Pricing
$25 option - bag o parts + schematic, solder your own, BYO nunchuck
$40 option - Plug and play and you can purchase a Nyko Kama nunchuck from Amazon for about $5 bucks.

Let us know if you are interested.

Would love to test it for you, but being in Germany you cant just throw it over to me
The memorex wii nunchuk has proven to be a really nice solution for me once I got the arduino connection and the code right (thanks Todd).
It's like cruise control holding a back button an increasing or decreasing speed by flicking the joystick up and down. What I enjoy most about it and also the main reason I guess for preferring it to the rc transmitter is the size and form, it just fits in every pocket.

What do you want to implement in the nunchuck? How do yo want it to work?

For me I think having a thing that size and form but with a trigger on the back instead of the thumb joystick would be friggin awesome.
Now that combined with an option to set the speed and cruise would be even better

Yeah memorex I'm sure is nice only issue I noticed was they aren't easily available which would make it harder for most people. Shouldn't be much to ship out to you as it's just the receiver. It's a pretty small part. I'd say $5-10 or so from the states.

Currently, it acts as a regular RC controller. Regular joystick moves up/down for increase/decrease speed with a max of 50% throttle. If you hold the Z button down you will get max throttle. I was thinking regular throttle should be at about 25% more simple for beginners and Z would give you the full throttle. C can be used as cruise control and hold your speed once you get to the speed you like. Yeah, I definitely agree I do like the index finger as throttle versus the thumb with the joystick it is pretty sensitive would be a lot more customization though.

If you guys are interested as well there's a $25 option - bag o parts + schematic, solder your own, BYO nunchuck.

I like the idea and would be willing to try but until I can get my nunchuck to work I don't feel like I'd be the best candidate. The OG-nunchuck users on here could probably give you the best results.

As for my 2 cents: Designate the C button as a "soft key" (as it's called on those ancient flip phones). It's a blank button that can be programmed as an add on function to the users desire. ie: I plan to eventually figure out the code enough to make my C button control on/off headlights. You could also wire a small speaker to the board that can be programmed with user's desired sfx (star wars vehicle sounds? :D ).

drmacgyver said:
I like the idea and would be willing to try but until I can get my nunchuck to work I don't feel like I'd be the best candidate. The OG-nunchuck users on here could probably give you the best results.

As for my 2 cents: Designate the C button as a "soft key" (as it's called on those ancient flip phones). It's a blank button that can be programmed as an add on function to the users desire. ie: I plan to eventually figure out the code enough to make my C button control on/off headlights. You could also wire a small speaker to the board that can be programmed with user's desired sfx (star wars vehicle sounds? :D ).

Drmacgyver - With the plug and play option $40. You simply just plug in your receiver plug from the ESC and the nunchuck's receiver and power on your system. It's plug and play and comes pre-programmed. I'll post some videos hopefully by today.

I'm interested in trying it. Would love to see how the controls work. I do like the simplicity of the throttle trigger pull to accelerate and push to brake just like me EMAD board.

NormRD said:
I'm interested in trying it. Would love to see how the controls work. I do like the simplicity of the throttle trigger pull to accelerate and push to brake just like me EMAD board.

Yeah, I do prefer the throttle version but none available like the wii nunchuck. I guess I've just been finally sick and tired of the RC controller anything smaller helps LOL. The wii nunchuck is easier to use so my 6S setup feels faster now haha.

Hi guys- I am developing this "wiiceiver." I'll publish the software, parts list, and schematic once it settles down. Hardware is final, software still has some issues. It needs external power, an integrated BEC or separate one are fine. Plug in the ESC (and separate BEC if needed), attach a nunchuck, and it's just like an RC remote. "Plug and play."

The core is an ATmega328 and operates like a standalone Arduino; it has a header for TX, RX, RESET, and can take power / gnd from an Arduino Uno for USB interaction -- so you can use serial, reprogram it, whatever. It works just like an Uno. Drmacgyver: you can program the "C" button to do whatever you like, as long as you already have an Uno.

Right now they're assembled very manually, on a soldered breadboard. Very time-consuming. I'm making a small number by hand just to get more users on the setup, and if there's need for more I'll get PCBs printed. For now I've got enough parts on hand to make the two that exist, and I've ordered parts to build a few more pre-production units. If there's interest in a kit ("bag o parts"), all you need is a solder iron and a nunchuck.

I've been working with torqueboards for my own setup, and hopefully my own monstrous AT will be rolling tonight.

Been testing the Wireless Nunchuck and it's working nicely. Much easier carrying a nunchuck in my pocket versus the bigger RC controllers. The joystick throttle does take time getting use to however but it's still manageable. I know, previously I was biased against it but it's come to that point where RC controllers become cumbersome and more portable works better.

What are others experiences using a Wireless Nunchuck? Do you guys prefer it over the RC controllers?

I'd be interested in beta testing if you still need it. I had hoped to get a smaller receiver set up eventually and this could be an easier option.

Hi guys-

I'm still waiting on the resonators, but I have enough parts to start on the first few units. I've made the source and a schematic available, and am interested in your constructive feedback. I'll also write up a little about wiring this on a shield / protoboard, which is simpler (but larger) than the standalone unit. I'll also write down a separate parts list, but I think the schematic is complete.

Software: https://github.com/jaustindavid/wiiceiver/releases/tag/v0.1.20140510
Schematic: http://www.digikey.com/schemeit#t9g

The hardware is pretty complete, but I may adjust it a little (reassign some pins) when I lay out the next boards. Torqueboards and I are testing two units and so far they work pretty well. More updates as events warrant ...

torqueboards said:
Been testing the Wireless Nunchuck and it's working nicely. Much easier carrying a nunchuck in my pocket versus the bigger RC controllers. The joystick throttle does take time getting use to however but it's still manageable. I know, previously I was biased against it but it's come to that point where RC controllers become cumbersome and more portable works better.

What are others experiences using a Wireless Nunchuck? Do you guys prefer it over the RC controllers?

I haven't gotten my nunchuck up and running yet, but my first impressions after holding it is that the joystick feels less natural than the trigger of pistol grip transmitters. Again, I haven't actually used a nunchuck in action so my opinion can only be taken with a grain of salt. I forget who posted in what thread, but someone suggested adding a trigger to the nunchuck, which I think they also followed up with saying it might be more work than it's worth to do - which unfortunately might be the reality. I'm still on board for the nunchuck though and agree with you that it's worth learning to use the joystick over the giant RC ones. I'm so excited to see what you come up with. Between you guys and Alien, you're both reinventing the wheel for e-board transmitters. :)

drmacgyver said:
I haven't gotten my nunchuck up and running yet, but my first impressions after holding it is that the joystick feels less natural than the trigger of pistol grip transmitters. Again, I haven't actually used a nunchuck in action so my opinion can only be taken with a grain of salt. I forget who posted in what thread, but someone suggested adding a trigger to the nunchuck, which I think they also followed up with saying it might be more work than it's worth to do - which unfortunately might be the reality. I'm still on board for the nunchuck though and agree with you that it's worth learning to use the joystick over the giant RC ones. I'm so excited to see what you come up with. Between you guys and Alien, you're both reinventing the wheel for e-board transmitters. :)

Yeah, I was previously reluctant to switch over to a wireless nunchuck but the RC controller is just really bulky. I'd say it feels more unnatural as I'm already use to the trigger pistol grips and have been using it for 7-8 months or so. The joystick just takes time to get use too and you'll be running around with it like a trigger throttle. Metroboard uses it solely on their boards.

The cruise control (C) button that Austin has added definitely makes it a lot easier to use. You simply get it to your desired speed and hold the C button and throttle up or down to maintain a speed. If you want to stop just let go of C and brake (throttle down). Very simple and easy to maintain speed. The throttle by itself is pretty responsive but if you hold Z you'll get a faster response which comes in handy when you are in traffic getting through a mob of people you can easily weave in and out of people since it's much more responsive.

Works well with both Nyko Kama and Memorex. The memorex is nice because it has a nice on/off switch. The Nyko Kama is nice too it just doesn't have an on/off switch so if you put it in your pocket and you end up moving the joystick you'll turn the wheels. I forgot who I seen before but somebody had a velcro strap underneath the board and velcroed the nunchuck to the board when they weren't using it. Overall though so far testing has been good. I'm going to put a lot more miles on it to test it out but so far so good.

$0.02, I have more miles on the nunchuck than on a traditional RC controller. With the tuning torqueboards and I did, and that C button feature, I like the chuck better. The stick is touchy but with our tuning it seems better. I definitely want to get you guys using them, I know there are a lot more ideas out there -- cruise control was one of them :)

The power button thing isn't a big deal for me. I just power off the deck (and wiiceiver) and power them up again later. Helps that I can reach the breaker without flipping my board, but that may be temporary.

Any idea when the "official" wii receiver will be rolling out? I know you just started, but i'm really impatient lol :mrgreen: How much do you think it would cost (whole thing with nunchuck)? SeeedStudio is great for cheap printed PCBs (100 minimum order) and you can pay them to assemble the parts. But they are located in China, so it takes forever to get to the US especially if they screw up. http://www.seeedstudio.com/propagate/.

Carbon said:
Any idea when the "official" wii receiver will be rolling out? I know you just started, but i'm really impatient lol :mrgreen: How much do you think it would cost (whole thing with nunchuck)? SeeedStudio is great for cheap printed PCBs (100 minimum order) and you can pay them to assemble the parts. But they are located in China, so it takes forever to get to the US especially if they screw up. http://www.seeedstudio.com/propagate/.

I'd say within the next few weeks we might be able to iron out all the kinks in the software and get it working optimal. The benefit of having other people test it with us is we can get more feedback and more miles on the controller itself. With a little arduino experience, you can wire your wii receiver onto an arduino uno and re-program it everytime a new release is coming out. It's the best way to get the latest code.

Most of the hardware is set and final - perhaps Austin may be able to get some PCB's printed shortly. They are pretty small as is with the breadboard and will be much easier to solder with a PCB so many people could save some money by purchasing the bag of parts for $25. As always, I'm here to help for support issues. You can purchase the Nyko Kama nunchuck directly from Amazon for under $10 bucks.

We should be releasing the prototypes out soon and we can have more people test it. We'll help you if you need help. We aren't trying to leave you in the dark. :)

SO ... the biggest thing holding me back, like torqueboards said, is finalizing the software. If you're comfortable with Arduino and have an Uno around, you can update this thing with 5 jumpers -- see http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoToBreadboard, "Uploading Using an Arduino Board". Current hardware has a female header and I reflash it a few times/day with updates. That said, I think I've implemented the last feature as of last night, and just need a few more miles on it. Torqueboards and I both like it.

This pass of hardware is settled, and (as was foretold) I may do a run of PCBs to make them easier to hook up -- but probably not any smaller.

Oh, also I got into it with a parts supplier; I won't say who, but it was Mouser. I expect to have enough parts to actually make a few more of these, later this week (they didn't admit they were wrong, but they did refund my shipping and re-send my order). I have enough on hand to do exactly four tonight, and if it takes fewer than 3 hours I might set up for a few more. PCBs will take longer, I have to (a) learn Eagle, and then (b) enter the few-weeks-long process of getting stuff made. Then QC and whatnot... so "a few weeks" is probably conservative for a polished product that we can make more than a few units. Part of the reason we're fishing it around is to get an idea of demand, so I can make a run of PCBs if enough people express interest.

This is also commented in the code; I looked at what others had already done successfully:

* Nunchuck -- Use a Wii Nunchuck
* Tim Hirzel http://www.growdown.com
* who cites:
* * This file is an adaptation of the code by these authors:
* Tod E. Kurt, http://todbot.com/blog/
* The Wii Nunchuck reading code is taken from Windmeadow Labs
* http://www.windmeadow.com/node/42
* Conversion to Arduino 1.0 by Danjovic
* http://hotbit.blogspot.com
* Included the Fix from Martin Peris by Leopold Klimesch
* http://blog.martinperis.com/2011/04/arduino-wiichuck.html

All my collected code is at https://github.com/jaustindavid/wiiceiver, please check it out (be nice :D ). I ended up mostly-rewriting the nunchuck code, but it's very similar to the stuff already out there (like copy/paste similar in many cases).

The Nyko is apparently a little weird. Also torqueboards and I have been working on this for a few months, it didn't happen very fast.

The failsafe is cool. Nintendo's nunchucks have two 8-bit joystick axes (up/down, left/right), three 10-bit accelerometers (x,y,z), and two buttons. The protocol reads all of this data into 6 bytes. wiiceiver watches to see if any of those bytes change -- bump the joystick, press a button, or even wiggle the nunchuck very slightly. If they stay the same for 100 consecutive cycles (about 2s), the nunchuck is considered inactive and throttle drops to zero. Once it's active again + registers 0 throttle, the wiiceiver will start back up.

This was one of the more challenging features to get right, but at present it seems to be pretty good. If you're very still it's possible for the nunchuck to be considered idle, but IMO that means you're not having enough fun (I'm looking at you, torqueboards)

Would be nice to get more mileage testing from others on these that way we can iron all the kinks out. The hardware is finalized by Austin and he should have a few to send out within a few days.

Most if not all the issues have been already fixed by the both of us and it should be pretty good. There's a boat load of features but makes it a ton more nicer to use.

Wireless Wii Nunchuck Instructions

Power On - Connect your wiiceiver to your ESC receiver cord. Plug your Wii Nunchuck Receiver to your Wiiceiver. Turn on your board. Turn on your Nyko Kama Nunchuck. Wait about 4-5 seconds and they should completely sync together and you should have movement when moving your throttle up/down.

Set Auto Cruise Control Speed - To set your auto cruise control -> With your board upside down test the cruise control feature and set your desired speed -> Simply hold the C button and press up/down to adjust it's cruise control speed (once at your desired speed) -> Tap your joystick to the left or right for 5s (this will set your auto cruise control speed). Your motors will power down and power up again to your new auto cruise control setting (once this has occurred - you have set your auto cruise control setting).
* As you press the C button by itself your board will gradually accelerate to it's "set auto cruise control speed". From this position, you are able to adjust your speed by holding C and tapping up and down to increase/decrease cruise control speed.
* If you press C + Z + up/down. The Z will increase and decrease the movement faster than the original C button by itself. Think of the Z as a little quicker boost.

Regular Joystick Throttle - Joystick movement up/down is regular throttle movement 100%. If you jerk on it too quickly, your board may leave you behind. You can ease into it and helps to keep your front foot on your trucks to remain on top of the board if it wants to propel farther forward too soon.

Regular Throttle + Z - Z as with the cruise control feature. Using Z will allow for increased response time for throttle and will accelerate faster.

Brakes - Brakes work as normal. Throttle movement going down will apply brakes.

For the most part it's very simple to use with the cruise control feature. Definitely, a nicely added feature.

Let us know if you are interested in testing them out the final code should be solid and in ready working condition. The last kinks are more reliability issues than anything else so far so good. Let's put some hundreds of miles on these Nunchucks :). The price is $25 Bag o Parts and $40 pre-soldered, plug and play ready -> just purchase a Nyko Kama wireless nunchuck from Amazon.

Sounds excellent- this is a really great project for anyone who wants a plug and play system using the nunchuck. I will definitely recommend it to anyone who is looking to use a nunchuck.

Best of luck!

Back