Electric MBS Comp16 Mountainboard Build

michaeliam

1 mW
Hi Guys,

I'm very new to the forum and have been doing a lot of research. I've just picked up an old Comp16 board and have decided to whack two motors on the back. I'm really keen on snowboarding and since it's warming up over here in Europe I figure this could be the next best thing.

Ff4lJrWl.jpg

I've got the following parts on order and was wondering if anyone had any comments on my selections.

Motor:

2 x http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18182__Turnigy_Aerodrive_SK3_6374_168kv_Brushless_Outrunner_Motor.html

Motor mount:

Galp from the forums has been kind enough to assist with machining my mount. The rough design is as follows:

1TuvCqt.png

This will mount directly to the brake mounting threaded hole on the truck.

Pulleys/Sprockets (1:6 ratio):

Wheel pulley - http://www.beltingonline.com/72-tooth-htd5-pulley-72-5m-7770

Motor sprocket - http://www.beltingonline.com/12-tooth-htd5-pulley-12-5m-09f-7709

ESC:

I have been recommended this one - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__20696__Hobbyking_YEP_120A_HV_4_14S_Brushless_Speed_Controller_OPTO_.html

Batteries:

I'd like some help on this one. I'd like to go for a low profile battery so was thinking of 2 x 4s batteries. Would I be better off going for an 8s single batter or would it make no difference. Would love some advise on this aspect if possible.

Controller:

Still undecided on this one. I would like something compact that can fit in my back pocket. Does anybody have any recommendations? I was considering the Nunchuck if there isn't too much work involved in getting it going.

I will be using this thread as my build page, I will keep this updated as soon as the goodies come in the post!

Thanks for all your help.

Mike

I see you have slots for the tension adjustment on the motor mount, but you'll also need to cut out a hole in the middle for the motor axle to fit through.

Ah sorry, I forgot to mention that it will have that in the final design. That was a first draft that he sent to me and not yet completed.

Be careful with that ESC, it is designed for helicopters. Make sure it has all the options you want it to have, such as braking.
Also, I recommend using sprockets and chain instead of pulleys & belt. Belts wear very fast if dirt/sand gets to them. Also, they stretch over time.

Good luck!

Edit: I don't know where in Europe you are, but take a look here for cheap sprockets and such: www.maedler.de

Thanks for the feedback, based on that I will go for a chain drive.

The ESC has braking and all the trimmings I require.

I have decided to go for 2 x 4s setup to allow for slimmer batteries. I'm in the UK so I will be using beltingonline.com for my pulleys and belts.

So my mounts have been machined and are on the way:

NNFLJHLl.jpg

My two 63mm motors and HK esc has arrived.

KYFs7NSl.jpg

VwtmyO3l.jpg

GlDAumbl.jpg

I just wanted to ask a few questions. I plan to order 2 x 5s motors and am not sure which connectors to purchase in order to run them in series to make 10s. Is this the correct one:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__7879__EC3_Battery_Harness_14AWG_for_2_Packs_in_Series.html

AM-8014.jpg

Or should I be looking for heavier gauge?

Also, does anybody have any links or instructions on how to wire everything up? By the looks of it, the positive and negative on the ESC will connect straight to the battery and the 3 yellow wires on the ESC will go to the motors? How do I wire such that the ESC will connect to both motors?

michaeliam said:
So my mounts have been machined and are on the way:

My two 63mm motors and HK esc has arrived.

I just wanted to ask a few questions. I plan to order 2 x 5s motors and am not sure which connectors to purchase in order to run them in series to make 10s. Is this the correct one:

Or should I be looking for heavier gauge?

Also, does anybody have any links or instructions on how to wire everything up? By the looks of it, the positive and negative on the ESC will connect straight to the battery and the 3 yellow wires on the ESC will go to the motors? How do I wire such that the ESC will connect to both motors?

Depends if you want to run the 2x 5s in series and/or parallel. If you want to run it in parallel you double the capacity - if you want to run it in series, you double the voltage. You would need a compatible ESC if you double the voltage to 10S.

The connector you've shown is a series connector. The single male EC5 connector is the one that goes to the ESC. You may need to make the end connectors for your ESC.

If you can find 12AWG or 10AWG instead of the 14AWG - It would be better.

I haven't written a guide out yet but should soon. Will update if I actually write it out.

If you want to run your batteries in series for 10s you don't need an extra harness, just connect the red of one of the batteries to the black of the other one (the connectors will fit) and use the remaining cables as if they were from just one battery. You can easily make a connector that has a female ec5 on one side and a male and female bullet connector of the right size for your batteries on the other. I found that to be the simplest way with the least soldering needed.

Let us know how that Heli ESC goes. I've got one I need to wire up, but have been too busy doing other projects.

Thanks for the help guys. I went for a 10AWG connector just to make it easy on myself.

Regarding the ESC. Does anyone know if i'm able to connect two motors to the single ESC or would I have to purchase an additional ESC? Is there a wiring diagram to help me if this is possible?

michaeliam said:
Thanks for the help guys. I went for a 10AWG connector just to make it easy on myself.

Regarding the ESC. Does anyone know if i'm able to connect two motors to the single ESC or would I have to purchase an additional ESC? Is there a wiring diagram to help me if this is possible?

You can connect two motors to a single esc but it may damage it and wouldn't work for the long term. It's not recommended and you shouldn't try. We always recommend to use two escs and you can connect each esc with a Y servo wire - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9692__futaba_y_servo_lead_15cm_length_5pcs_bag_.html. On the second esc, you will need to cut one wire.. I believe it's the power wire but don't remember exactly. Haven't had too use this one.

Believe you cut the power wire from the ESC to the receiver on the second one. You need 2 esc's.

torqueboards said:
michaeliam said:

You can connect two motors to a single esc but it may damage it and wouldn't work for the long term....

WRONG you cannot two motors to a single esc unless each motor is mechanically locked to the other motor so that the stators and magnets line up perfectly between the two motors. DO NOT CONNECT TWO MOTORS TO ONE ESC!

Of course this could also be learned with a simple google search for "two brushless motors one esc"...

thepronghorn said:
torqueboards said:
michaeliam said:

You can connect two motors to a single esc but it may damage it and wouldn't work for the long term....

WRONG you cannot two motors to a single esc unless each motor is mechanically locked to the other motor so that the stators and magnets line up perfectly between the two motors. DO NOT CONNECT TWO MOTORS TO ONE ESC!

Of course this could also be learned with a simple google search for "two brushless motors one esc"...

Actually, you can - google it. Although, you shouldn't and is never recommended.

torqueboards said:
thepronghorn said:
torqueboards said:

Actually, you can - google it. Although, you shouldn't and is never recommended.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451938

Well it seems that you can connect two motors to one esc in certain situations that involve propellers. BUT as the link above points out, high inertial loads should not be attempted with a dual motor single esc configuration. The example the Castle guy gives is of a motor with a gearbox, although the inertia of a powered skateboard is much, much higher than this.

Thus we can conclude that you should not try to use two motors on the same esc in the application we are talking about, an electric longboard. I did not mean to offend you torqueboards, but I did not want the OP to even consider trying to connect both of his motors to one esc. Your original response presented things a little ambiguously when the answer is very straightforward - you cannot connect two motors to one esc on an electric longboard.

thepronghorn said:
Thus we can conclude that you should not try to use two motors on the same esc in the application we are talking about, an electric longboard. I did not mean to offend you torqueboards, but I did not want the OP to even consider trying to connect both of his motors to one esc. Your original response presented things a little ambiguously when the answer is very straightforward - you cannot connect two motors to one esc on an electric longboard.

I understand. I did not want to recommend him to do that but I couldn't say it couldn't be done either when it is possible. OP don't do it :D - 1 motor per 1 esc.

Understood, thanks guys.

I have reconsidered my ESC selection as I have decided to go only 6s Lipo.

Does anybody have experience or comments on this one:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__28371__Hobbyking_YEP_150A_2_6S_SBEC_Brushless_Speed_Controller.html

It looks like it does the job but perhaps I have missed something?

michaeliam said:
Understood, thanks guys.

I have reconsidered my ESC selection as I have decided to go only 6s Lipo.

Does anybody have experience or comments on this one:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__28371__Hobbyking_YEP_150A_2_6S_SBEC_Brushless_Speed_Controller.html

It looks like it does the job but perhaps I have missed something?

That one might not have brakes. The recommended ones would either be the HobbyKing 150Amp Car ESC 1/8 and/or EzRun Pro 150Amp ESCs. Ez Run is a bit better or long lasting/reliable.

6S is fine and since you have a mountain board and I assume weight isn't much of an issue, you could have a ton of batteries to increase our capacity (mah) for added amps = more power available. Research Humbolt RC he made a monutain board that did about 52mph or so. Pretty crazy..

It has the following:

• Adjustable F3A brake.
• 3 steps adjustable normal EMF brake

Is that the kind of brakes I need to have?

Alternatively, has anyone used or have an opinion on this one:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__33984__Turnigy_Trackstar_150A_GenII_1_8th_Scale_Sensored_Brushless_Car_ESC_PC_Programmable.html

Hey man,
I've built one as well, see my thread.
My advice to you would be to go with the best esc's you can afford. Something like 1/5 scale or at least Mamba Monster 1/8 scale to each wheel. This is the area you shouldn't skimp on, these 63mm motors will handle <12s in some cases but that means nothing if the esc is holding them back. I think Hobbyking has 1/5 scale "Trackstar" esc's now but I'm not sure of how they are. Has anyone tried one?
Another ES member Camineet was having issues with his mountain board build & low cost esc's. He said they just didn't provide enough power, & weren't effective off-road. They probably would be fine on a long board but a mountain board needs to be much more powerful to ride in grass,dirt, sand etc.
I used two Mamba Xl2's and they're downright explosive on or off road, maybe even a bit little scary. To me though, its always better to have too much power than too little.

This was my experience anyway, good luck, take pics.

So my motor mounts arrived after the package was held in customs for too long!

1aqRcDpl.jpg

qCN6uW5.jpg

I have run into a couple of issues. Depending on how I mount the brackets I will either be hitting the tyre with the shaft:

FByAijcl.jpg

..and therefore I will need a big spacer to clear the tyre:

B2vEoHv.jpg

Or I am too far away from the wheel pulley and will need an shaft extension:

9FwG9aBl.jpg

Just after everyones opinion on what would be the better option? If anybody has any other ideas it would also be appreciated!

Back