6" Pneumatic Riverbed Board has new Aluminum Wheels

psychotiller

10 kW
Enclosure and charge station.jpg
2014-09-30 12.17.54.jpg
2014-09-30 12.17.25.jpg
2014-09-30 12.15.18.jpg

Wheels are 6" Aluminum Pneumatics. (6x1.25) Hubs work with 608 bearings and fit skate trucks with room to spare.
The deck is a 10x40 8ply, double drop bottle nose drop through. Perfect shape for these wheels. It had a little flex though so I reverse flexed it on a workbench and added 4 layers of fiberglass bi-axial cloth to the bottom. Now it's stiff enough.

I was able to use a drop down deck because of the wheel size. Also, I mounted my motor bracket at a shallower angle to allow a drop through mount on the trucks.
All of the electronics are under the deck and have good clearance.

Parts List:
Custom 6" Aluminum Pneumatics
608 bearings
Randall 180 clone trucks
Generic Deck
Tacon Bigfoot 160 motor 245kv
EzRun Pro 150 ESC
Diamond plate battery box
42 tooth Versa Pulley : http://www.wcproducts.net/htd-5mm-versapulley/
17 tooth motor pulley: https://sdp-si.com/eStore/Catalog/PartNumber/A 6A25M020DF1508
54 tooth belt : https://sdp-si.com/eStore/Catalog/PartNumber/A 6R25M056150
2 6s 22.2v Pulse 5500mah batteries
Wiiceiver/Kama

Who wants to ride the Santa Ana riverbed with me? I know Pediglide's down!

torqueboards said:
Awesome psycho! How does it ride? That's a decent pulley for $3.99! Can you post more photos of how you mounted your drive wheel. I haven't gotten to mine just yet.

That pulley's pretty cool too because it comes in three layers (it's fillet'd) you can run it 5, 10 or 15mm.
I just ended up drilling through 4 of the spokes on the wheel and then drilled 2 holes in the pulley. I used 4 coupling nuts as spacers to set the pulley out where I needed it and then just bolted it in place.

It's an Ominously smooth ride. Not quite sure how to process it yet.

Pediglide said:
Playa! I like how you kept it still looking like a longboard instead of an mountainboard.

Hahaha. 16.7 lbs with both batteries strapped in too!

This looks awesome! Congrats on finishing the setup! Did you have to use your custom bearing spacers, or do those fit snug without modding?
And is it just the picture, or are the two wheels on the non-driven truck bowed in/out?

drmacgyver said:
This looks awesome! Congrats on finishing the setup! Did you have to use your custom bearing spacers, or do those fit snug without modding?
And is it just the picture, or are the two wheels on the non-driven truck bowed in/out?

I taped the outside edge of the 8x28x9 bearings and stuffed them in there. we really need to find 8x28x8 bearings though. it would be perfect then. The wheels are straight. Not sure why, but my camera phone likes to bend stuff...We still get along though haha

Today was fun. Got some mellow video of this board in action. I'll post it up soon.

psychotiller said:
I taped the outside edge of the 8x28x9 bearings and stuffed them in there. we really need to find 8x28x8 bearings though. it would be perfect then. The wheels are straight. Not sure why, but my camera phone likes to bend stuff...We still get along though haha

http://scmotorized.com/qj-638zz-roller-bearing-638x2-zz-qj-638x2-2z-8x28x8

How's your motors/pulley setup running.. Is it fine at your gearing ratio -- no issues?

torqueboards said:
psychotiller said:

http://scmotorized.com/qj-638zz-roller-bearing-638x2-zz-qj-638x2-2z-8x28x8

How's your motors/pulley setup running.. Is it fine at your gearing ratio -- no issues?

Was a little sluggish going uphill. Think I'm going to order a low kv motor and switch the gearing to 3:1. Fast though! I kept it under 20mph as it was the maiden voyage.

Those are the bearings! Nice find. That site sucks though. That price is for 2 bearings and then they add on an $8 low item fee.

torqueboards said:
Can you ride in GRASS!!! lol

Maybe?

[youtube]8trT33Aoy8s[/youtube]

austindavid said:
want. Torqueboards: this is gonna be my #3 :D

All the links are here for you to order your parts :p

mikerush said:
Great vid. Whats your boards top speed?
Riding the riverbed looks like a lot of fun.
-m

Have like 3 1/2 threads on my axles (not enough for the lock nut) looking for thin lock nuts. I was a little nervous to take it up to speed that way. Geared for 45mph. I'm thinking realistically 40mph. Love the riverbed! Im going to gps a fast run this weekend.

superpef said:
Dang awesome location!! Looking forward to calling guys up when on vacation :mrgreen:

Definately! I live 5 minutes from the riverbed. We could barbeque too!

Today I tackled the short axle thread issue.
Using a 6/32" drill bit and tap, I drilled 1/2' into the axles. It enables me to snug the axle nuts and then put a 1/2" long 6/32" screw and washer into the axles effectively keeping the axle nuts from being able to back their way off.

Also changed the motor pulley to a 17t. 2.5:1 for about 35mph :wink:

Nut Safety Haha.jpg

Here's some video from today.

[youtube]AnFwMcPpHPc[/youtube]

[youtube]2fyysj9zje4[/youtube]

The change from a 20t motor pulley to a 17t made a huge difference! Climbed every bank or hill I threw at it yesterday and It never bogged down or cogged.

Speed Calculator Riverbed Board.jpg

psychotiller said:
The change from a 20t motor pulley to a 17t made a huge difference! Climbed every bank or hill I threw at it yesterday and It never bogged down or cogged.

I actually like my 20T/40T on my Eboard not with Pneumatics yet. I feel the more teeth definitely helps climbing much better.

Not bad.... I guess, I may not need a 50T on my 6" Pneumatics then?

Do you have a ton of torque at 20T/40T w/ the 6"? Honestly, I think it's more of the 20T on the motor pulley that makes a big difference even without the 40T on the drive wheel and something with more teeth. There's just more teeth in contact on the motor pulley. I've always thought of going 15/30T but I think the 20T/40T w/ more teeth in contact work a lot better. Maybe, if I was going smaller wheels. I'd have to go less teeth as the 40T doesn't fit on 76mm wheels.

torqueboards said:
psychotiller said:

I actually like my 20T/40T on my Eboard not with Pneumatics yet. I feel the more teeth definitely helps climbing much better.

Not bad.... I guess, I may not need a 50T on my 6" Pneumatics then?

Do you have a ton of torque at 20T/40T w/ the 6"? Honestly, I think it's more of the 20T on the motor pulley that makes a big difference even without the 40T on the drive wheel and something with more teeth. There's just more teeth in contact on the motor pulley. I've always thought of going 15/30T but I think the 20T/40T w/ more teeth in contact work a lot better. Maybe, if I was going smaller wheels. I'd have to go less teeth as the 40T doesn't fit on 76mm wheels.

No, I didnt like the 20/42 set up. It was sluggish while accelerating. The switch to 17/42 was miraculous. watch the video and listen to the motor accelerating with the 17.
I really dont think you need a 50t. -keep in mind I'm using the Tacon 245kv

psychotiller said:
No, I didnt like the 20/42 set up. It was sluggish while accelerating. The switch to 17/42 was miraculous. watch the video and listen to the motor accelerating with the 17.
I really dont think you need a 50t. -keep in mind I'm using the Tacon 245kv

Ahh, I see... More torque with the 17/42.. Your able to climb almost any hills? I should be giving it a try soon.

Yeah, I was able to accelerate up a couple of overpasses with ease. Also there are underpasses on the riverbed trail that are steep enough to slow cyclists down and I breeze through them. I'll try to get video of hill climbs on my next ride

Back